Apple Stock Briefly Tops $250 Per Share

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 16, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Earlier today, Apple's stock price briefly surpassed $250 per share before being dragged down by an overall market slide precipitated by charges brought by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission against Goldman Sachs over alleged subprime mortgage securities fraud.

[​IMG]

Apple's stock has since rebounded, but remains below both the $250 threshold and today's opening price of $248.99.

AAPL stock has seen a number of milestones in recent weeks, having surpassed $200 billion in market capitalization in early March, and only days later moving past Wal-Mart to become the third largest U.S. company by market capitalization.

Just yesterday, Fortune released its annual Fortune 500 rankings of U.S. companies by revenue, which saw Apple jump to 56th place from 71st place in last year's survey. The report also ranked Apple as offering the greatest return to shareholders among Fortune 500 companies over the past five years, with an average annual return of 45.6%.

Article Link: Apple Stock Briefly Tops $250 Per Share

2. SkippyThorson macrumors 68000

SkippyThorson

3. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

250 is just a number that ends in a zero and also happens to be one fourth of another number that ends in 3 zeros.

What matters is market cap and percentage return-- as you point out, Apple is doing well by both of those metrics as well, but it has nothing to do with hitting 250. If Apple had done a 3:1 split a year ago, would we be celebrating Apple briefly topping 83.333?

Not that I want to detract from any celebrating over AAPLs performance-- they've done quite impressively:
    AAPL v HPQ,DELL,MSFT since the Lehman fall

Yeah, I foolishly sold some for a loss when the market tanked thinking I was being prudent in converting to cash. Now my cash is on the verge of deflating and AAPL has nearly doubled.

Oops.

4. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

This means nothing. It is exactly as significant as when it topped 212, 167, or 189.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Agreed, but it is a psychological milestone...hence just a brief Page 2 article. :)

6. rickdollar macrumors 6502

Me too, Analog.
    Sold at $82. Didn't buy it back until $187.:rolleyes:

7. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Question is, how high will they go? Will Apple buy back or split again? We don't want another Google on our hands. MSFT trades at $30, HP $53 and Dell $16.

AAPL is overpriced and more people are at risk if they tank

8. macUser2007 macrumors 65832

Or since the insiders sold a little while ago, it may mean that it is the dumb money pouring in now....

9. BuddyTronic macrumors 6502a

Same reason you didn't buy today!

Haha - hint for you - the glass is half full

10. BuddyTronic macrumors 6502a

Balls - risk is with lower price stocks.

AAPL has volatility, yes, but not so much risk as a 4 buck stock like TIVO used to be.

I got in on TIVO at about 4 bucks, now it's 17 or 18. THATS risky. I should sell right? But TIVO might hit 26 soon.

Anyways, if you get AAPL at 247 right now, you can feel confident that you'll get a 20% return quickly - like less than a year. That's what you get right now. You are late to the party if you ain't holdin AAPL. But hang in there because there are many who can see AAPL going up a lot more - like $600 - $1000 wow! If we get Dow 20K, yeah I think so, and some say DOW 20K is inevitable when we figure massive inflation coming in the next 5 years. haha. It's the only way to get rid of the US debt - inflate it all away!

11. BuddyTronic macrumors 6502a

I don't think there is any dumb money being played right now.

Volumes are way way low - it's all "institutional" type stuff - heavyweight traders pumping and dumping. Regular Joe's like you and me don't really figure into it IMHO.

I don't dare call any money being played as "dumb" - for the dumbest rumors about AAPL can produce the biggest stock price moves - a self fullfilling prophesy most of the time. It don't matter if it's right or wrong or just plain stupid. Wall street buys into any rumour they get their hands on in the early AM hours and action is taken just "because". It's really cool.

12. ipoppy macrumors 6502

How come they are overpriced? AAPL shares has been reevaluated for $300 by end of the year so how they can be overpriced. Look Price Earnings Ratios there and you still think is overpriced? Maybe you meant overweight?
    Use your stop loss and you won't have to mention about risk again.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You do know that those are pre-planned sales by insiders? You do, right?

14. Chubby Davis macrumors member

Thank-you Mr. Jobs, I' payed off my house ten years early. :cool:

15. drmacnut macrumors member

drmacnut

Gone Short

I actually went short about a month ago, currently short 300. Probably wrong timing, yeah, I know. So now, of course you can guess I'm hoping for a pullback - I like to think of it as a "correction" just to make myself feel better.

And here we are right now (earnings call coming after close): it looks like action is a bit mixed going up and down, but mostly negative. With no new items coming out (my guess) until WWDC and iPhone 4, I've got my fingers and toes crossed for the "correction".

What do you all think? Am I crazy?

16. BuddyTronic macrumors 6502a

I have a bottle of Lagavulin coming to me if AAPL breaks 300 by Jan 2011. I think it might do that before August 1, 2010 now!

AAPL now has 41 Billion in cash.

1.3 Billion sales from China in 6 months - a very good start!

OS's that work, and match up to geeks AND grannies equally well now with iPad.

iPhones that obsolete themselves every Summer! Haha! We are going to keep buying new one's every year! If you "hold out" for the next version, you soon realize you just wasted a year of your life waiting for the better one. Apple is pushing to humanity the sweet digital life.

Every time I talk to a Windows geek, they tell me their problems, and they all swear they are moving to Mac, if they haven't already. Very few holdouts now - they all admit that Windows is the past, Apple is the future.

So with all these things, would I short AAPL stock? Haha! No, I wouldn't. Instead I would buy next time it drops below 245 and just watch the ticker carefully. I wouldn't just buy and forget it. Buy and be forced to watch every day to see what the latest Chicken Little story turns out to be, and keep your finger on the trigger to sell if you lose 20%, but not until then.

That's what I say, and I have been right overall about AAPL for many many years!

If you enter the market prepared to lose 20% and ready to accept losing up to 20% on your investment, you will have the right mental attitude to make a lot of money with AAPL. It's a volatile stock, and nobody can time the market reliably. So when you buy in, you have to accept some fluctuations, but if you hang in there - I believe strongly that you will soon have tidy profits locked up in your AAPL shares - AAPL is making new markets. Trees do not grow to the stratosphere, I know that already, but with AAPL you have incredible growth possibilities! I have been acquiring AAPL since 1990 BTW!

17. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

it just went above $260 today! it was a good day for apple ...

18. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Cheers, BuddyTronic. And congratualtions to your investment.

By the way. Do you want us to bring our own glasses? :)

19. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Dude you have a L O N G memory.

20. BuddyTronic macrumors 6502a

Hey you'd be welcome my friend!

Thanks for making me feel good!

Haha, glass might be optional. Pull the cork and chuck it far away, and then go primal with that Scotch - it's the Isle peaty dirt flavoured stuff and once you have it in you, it tastes like water haha. Have some Sockeye salmon maybe, and then finish the bottle off on a drunken hike in the wilds and get some exercise!

Yeah the person who owes me on that one said he has it waiting for me, and when his son gets back in town we're gonna have a flight of scotch I guess.

He said

"I expect APPL to pass $300 tomorrow
    whatever happened to the expected September/October sell off?
    I had expected a retest of the years lows and hence a delay of APPL $300
    Anywho - the Lagavulin has been sitting here since my last trip to XXXXXXX
    We should wait for James to return to set up a an evening of Lagavulin tasting.

You are a lucky son of a gun."

OK, since I am now the amazing Kreskin and won my bet, here are some new predictions!

DOW 20K by 2012 - haha. OK maybe 2014. I'll make the betting prediction on New years, but that's how I'm thinking.

AAPL - let's say $450 by Jan 1 2012. That's pretty bold, I know. But the inflationary forces are helping.

I'm selling short term covered calls for my AAPL shares. Big premiums as it gets closer to the numbers I picked for Nov and Jan. A cool AAPL stipend :)

USD is "go to down" and the stock market is going to "crash" upwards with a sub-hyperinflationary ( >10% maybe) exclamation point.

Gold will be $2000.00 by Jan 1 2011.

Maybe I should be humble and just bite my toungue, but I'm glad you reminded me about this thread - I forgot all about it and it's funny what I wrote there! Maybe this is going to be too!

For sure AAPL 450 by Jan 2012 - the rest is more or less a matching theory, but that's a lot to predict at once, I'll just stick to what I know - Apple.

21. BuddyTronic macrumors 6502a

22. oscarmacca macrumors member

I hope you take Lagavulin straight, as nature intended! Time to celebrate...........AAPL $300.14

23. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

24. BuddyTronic, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011

BuddyTronic macrumors 6502a

Same reason you (and many others) didn't buy at $300 right?

Same reason you won't buy at $410.00? Or did you already buy since then? Hope you did actually!

25. BuddyTronic, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011

BuddyTronic macrumors 6502a

Duplicate post

Thumbnail can't be deleted

Attached Files: