Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
I am 21 and the sale was part of my prior year contribution for my Roth IRA. The contribution of 1000 will be split between these 4 shares and the other 750'ish will go into some other mutual fund. Its not much but its what I had to use. Sure maybe 4 shares is not much, but its a start.

MacEffects

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2005
Darkspear
You know from the title I though it was back to about $13 per share, and it was time to buy again, oh-well. Its not tanking yet:p ;)

And only talking about it being tanking makes it worse :eek: :cool:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
The France issue coupled with no media event on the 1st has hit the stock as well. It's getting close to being a buy in my books, but not quite yet...

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
~Shard~ said:
The France issue coupled with no media event on the 1st has hit the stock as well. It's getting close to being a buy in my books, but not quite yet...

I don't think the markets pay any attention to whether Apple does or does not hold media events, especially when they're no more than a vague rumor to begin with. Media events don't sell products. And the French business? That's small change, at most.

You can drive yourself crazy looking for good reasons why stocks move up or down. Most of the time, the reasons aren't in plain sight anyway.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
IJ Reilly said:
I don't think the markets pay any attention to whether Apple does or does not hold media events, especially when they're no more than a vague rumor to begin with. Media events don't sell products. And the French business? That's small change, at most.

You can drive yourself crazy looking for good reasons why stocks move up or down. Most of the time, the reasons aren't in plain sight anyway.

Quite true. The lack of a media event probably has a negligible impact, although since UBS initially reported it, some investors my put some weight in that report, since, well, it's from UBS. ;) The whole France thing shouldn't impact the stock, but it will because it's "bad news". As you say, you can drive yourself crazy wondering why stocks go up and down. Take the price of oil right now - it's stil inflated. And then last month when those Shell employees were kidnapped, the price went up! :confused: Yes, because 9 Shell employees got kidnapped, the price of oil therefore must rise $2/barrel. :rolleyes: :D

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
~Shard~ said:
Quite true. The lack of a media event probably has a negligible impact, although since UBS initially reported it, some investors my put some weight in that report, since, well, it's from UBS. ;) The whole France thing shouldn't impact the stock, but it will because it's "bad news". As you say, you can drive yourself crazy wondering why stocks go up and down. Take the price of oil right now - it's stil inflated. And then last month when those Shell employees were kidnapped, the price went up! :confused: Yes, because 9 Shell employees got kidnapped, the price of oil therefore must rise $2/barrel. :rolleyes: :D

A mouse can frighten an elephant, if the elephant is already nervous.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Clydefrog said:
its too late to buy apple, if you want to buy it, you should have last year when it was in the 20-30
I don't think it was ever that low last year. The time to buy (well, recently) would have been just before the G5 was introduced at WWDC '03 at about $13-ish. There's been a split since then too.
IJ Reilly said:
A mouse can frighten an elephant, if the elephant is already nervous.
That's why I keep some elephant tranqs on me at all times. :D

MacEffects

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2005
Darkspear
Its all of this talk of the bad stuff, that makes it go down, lets be all positive and make the stock I bought for about $13 a share go way up again ;) :p :D

Chimera

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2004
Surrey, England
Hi guys, what do you think the odds off AAPL falling to $50? (that would be the sweet spot for me) I could probably invest upto $2000. One more thing, do you use an online trader? Any recommendations?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Chimera said:
Hi guys, what do you think the odds off AAPL falling to $50? (that would be the sweet spot for me) I could probably invest upto $2000. One more thing, do you use an online trader? Any recommendations?

Why is $50 a sweet spot for you? Are you talking from a technical perspective or fundamental perspective?

Chimera

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2004
Surrey, England
~Shard~ said:
Why is $50 a sweet spot for you? Are you talking from a technical perspective or fundamental perspective?

A combination - the amount of shares being worthwhile if bought, as well as believing the price couldn't go much lower.

I guess my real question now is how low do you think it'll go?

PS. Also any advice on traders?

fartness

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2006
Chimera said:

I think the odds are pretty good that it will drop to 50. It is way overpriced as it is.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Down to $60...hmmm. Time to seriously think about getting back in. ~Shard~, what are your thoughts? I know expectations have been lowered for this quarter, but I'm trying to decide for myself how the market will react to the next earnings numbers. Do I get back in now or wait to see if it takes another hit when the numbers come in in a month...decisions, decisions.

fartness

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2006
IJ Reilly said:
On what basis?

Shares up 900% in the past 3 years. Too much in too short of time. It will drop. Mark my words.

Remember when Steve stroked himself (literally and figuratively) over the fact that Apple surpassed Dell in market value (by a few hundred million dollars, lastling no more than 24 hours)? Look at where Apple stands today.

http://quotes.nasdaq.com/Quote.dll?symbol=AAPL&symbol=dell&mode=stock&multi.x=26&multi.y=4

Just a mere 20 BILLION dollars shy of Dells market value. What was it that steve said? "watch out Dell, we are coming after you"?

It like a little kid who think he beat holyfield by landing one punch.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
fartness said:
Shares up 900% in the past 3 years. Too much in too short of time. It will drop. Mark my words.

Remember when Steve stroked himself (literally and figuratively) over the fact that Apple surpassed Dell in market value (by a few hundred million dollars, lastling no more than 24 hours)? Look at where Apple stands today.

http://quotes.nasdaq.com/Quote.dll?symbol=AAPL&symbol=dell&mode=stock&multi.x=26&multi.y=4

Just a mere 20 BILLION dollars shy of Dells market value. What was it that steve said? "watch out Dell, we are coming after you"?

It like a little kid who think he beat holyfield by landing one punch.

Huh? It has already dropped, by around 30%, in under two months. You don't need to tell me, about it -- I'm a stockholder. I was just wondering on what technical basis you call it overvalued at the current price.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 26, 2003
California
Well - I started this thread - purchased several hundred shares - and am under water on our new Apple stock once again:eek:

All of the hype (reality distortion field?) surrounding how well Apple is positioned for the digital hub / media future, and just a couple of days ago how Apple will grow due to the delays with MS Vista - yada yada yada:rolleyes:

It will go back up - wish I had waited another couple of bucks per share - but I didn't.

Investing and gambling are starting to feel more and more the same:eek:

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
Apple Corps said:

well, yes and no. the stock price of tech companies tend to be more volatile. had you put your money in a bank stock you won't see as much volatility, and you'll get a healthy dividend each quarter.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Apple Corps said:

I don't know the composition of your portfolio, but I wouldn't say you're investing if you only own apple stock, no matter how many shares. You're simply speculating or trading at best. The best way to look at a stock is to try and figure out what its future is, not what its past was, so stop looking at what you paid and take a cold hard look at whether or not the stock has growth left in the near future.

Personally I do not own apple but my perspective was that iPods (iPods + itunes have been the core of the stock gains now) had hit a saturation point around the time of MWSF and people smiled and told me that countless others had constatnly predicted this and it had yet to happen ... I'm not saying this caused the decline but I think you really have to ask yourself where the company is going and how it exactly plans to realistically grow? Once you can answer those questions I really think you'll stop worrying about day to day fluctations.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 26, 2003
California
Some solid bank stock performance and a well diversified portfolio - my comments were just musing on how fickle investing (gambling) can be - especially in the short run :rolleyes:

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Apple Corps said:
investing (gambling)

maybe because you continue to imply that these are synonyms. my point was that its not really gambling if you have some diversification becuase you're removing some of the inherent risk in buying stocks. And again I would define investing differently for different people, for me my investments have a 30 year horizon, so I could care less what they're doing today for the most part. And my fun little side project of trading stocks with some extra money ... thats trading and I could stand to lose it all if I had to but of course I actively try and prevent this. I have money in the stock market that I don't consider gambled, I must've performed a miracle!

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 26, 2003
California
Investing, trading or gambling - whatever.

Going back to the genesis of this thread - why is Apple stock tanking??? We are now down to $59.96 a share - quite a large correction since January highs of $86. That is a 30% dive in a little over 10 weeks without any clear "bad news". I thought the intel transition, media positioning, operating income and general momentum all pointed towards much better price support for the stock than we are seeing.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Apple Corps said:
Investing, trading or gambling - whatever.

Going back to the genesis of this thread - why is Apple stock tanking??? We are now down to $59.96 a share - quite a large correction since January highs of $86. That is a 30% dive in a little over 10 weeks without any clear "bad news". I thought the intel transition, media positioning, operating income and general momentum all pointed towards much better price support for the stock than we are seeing.

Corrections are normal, but I do wonder when this one will end. My sense is the stock is heavily oversold, given, as you say, a lack of actual bad news. The analysts are still positive on the outlook, and forecasting one-year prices at or near $100.

Apple has always been a company poorly understood by investors. When iPod sales were increasing at a rate of 800% year over year, the rising profits were hard to ignore, even by people who otherwise had no clue about how Apple has managed to make money all these years. But now I take it that the big institutions at least are betting that Apple's success in consumer products was all just a flash in the pan, a one-time event.

Apple is one of those companies that has to knock the ball out of the park every time they come to bat, or they will be judged to have failed. It hardly seems fair (especially when you consider how Microsoft has performed on their delivery of new products lately -- I mean, forever!), but nobody ever said the markets are fair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.