Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Last time I checked, Apple Stock was trading above $16!!! This is like the first time this has happened in how many months? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've been keeping an eye on Apple stock. It seems to be trading fairly strong recently. I've noticed lately that when the market dips down, Apple stock still seems to go up a little. And when the market goes up, Apple stock goes way up! I guess this means that Apple stock is starting to show some relative strength. GO APPLE!!! :D

On the flip side, the whole economy could just now be starting to come back to life again. We've seen some gains in recent weeks. This might mean that this type of phenomenon could be widespread right now. ;)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Not quite accurate analysis, but it is hopeful. Apple hasn't been doing much of anything in the last couple months, and the trading is staying fairly stable, nothing big.

D

Attachments

• aapl.gif
    aapl.gif
    6.1 KB · Views: 418

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Have you read the submission guidelines for 'Current Events'? Usually its not just something you've dug up on the web, but an actually story. If someone had written an article about Apple stock and its pending comeback that would be different.

You provided a link, but since its not a news story and the link is an actively updated one, well, tomorrow it could be down to 14.

D

Chad4Mac

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2002
Los Angeles
I have been watching this stock for the past week or so trying to find a bottom -- they just keep gaining.

I liked it at less than 15 (in this market) but now I'm looking at 15.75 to 16.

In any event, a buy at these prices is a bargin...

For that matter, most technology stocks are a bargin at these prices...

Lots of young millionares in five years

Chad4mac

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
My hometown friend is rught though, i have some apple, worth less than when I bought it, but thats true of most of my stock (only homedepot is still higher)
Anyway, I watch the numbers on a daily basis, and I'm thrilled that the stock is over 16, I almost cried at 13 whatever it got down to.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Well, Apple's stock rose $0.54 today to close at $15.98, with Apple's stock hitting a high of $16.37 today. It's kinda funny that Dell's stock, one of Apple's biggest competitors, did worse than Apple today, only rising $0.40 cents on the day to $29.06. In other Mac-related stocks Motorola rose $0.30 to close at $9.18 and IBM rose $1.93 to close at $78.67. Sony only rose $0.06 to close at $44.38.

Tech stocks inspired the market today. Here is an outlook: http://money.cnn.com/2002/10/30/markets/markets_newyork/index.htm

:D

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2001
boston
i still have my original stock certificate when apple went ipo @ $25/share. my grandparents knew i was gonna be a geek and bought me 5 shares. know what? if the company burned to the ground, if they went kaput, i would NEVER sell those shares. Apple is a part of my soul. Has been for a very long time.

Today I was on an interview. They told me that development was done on PCs. I told them I'm a Mac guy but can use both, np. They told me they would get me the very best PC money could buy.

I told em I'd rather have a cheapy Mac than the most expensive PC in the world. The guy gave me HIGH marks on that response :)

Stick to yer guns people! Apple Apple Apple. Love the stock might start to do better soon...

Chad4Mac

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by gandalf55
i still have my original stock certificate when apple went ipo @ $25/share. my grandparents knew i was gonna be a geek and bought me 5 shares. know what? if the company burned to the ground, if they went kaput, i would NEVER sell those shares. Apple is a part of my soul. Has been for a very long time.

Today I was on an interview. They told me that development was done on PCs. I told them I'm a Mac guy but can use both, np. They told me they would get me the very best PC money could buy.

I told em I'd rather have a cheapy Mac than the most expensive PC in the world. The guy gave me HIGH marks on that response :)

Stick to yer guns people! Apple Apple Apple. Love the stock might start to do better soon...

That's great! I wish I had some of that IPO Stock -- not for the lossing money part -- just so I could frame the certificate!

If Apple is a part of your soul, I would suggest buying another 5 shares or maybe even more. I don't think they will be burning to the ground anytime soon, especially with that cash in the Bank! IMO, their stock price can only go up (in the long term).

Regarding the "top of the line PC" thing: Same with me! I have a "great" PC here at the Office (18.1 in Flat panel even), but I religiously bring my PowerBook 667. I setup the PC to only run my NYSE/Bridge system. Use the PowerBook for the FUN stuff!!

Good luck with the job opprtunity...

Chad 4Mac

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
Over the next two years, Apple will likely be selling more machines than has been the case for the last six months. I say this with likely too great an optimism, but I do believe the possibility of Apple selling more machines and thus generating more revenue is strong.

Firstly, upon the arrival of the G5, one could expect that sales of Apple machines will increase significantly. It may finally provide a reason for B&W G3 owners to upgrade. Apple's potential move to 17" LCDs on the iMac could spur sales on the product, and give the iMac another lift in sales similar to the original release of the FP iMac. More directly to the short term, Apple is now selling the iPod at TARGET. For the holiday season, expect iPods to ship like crazy as everyone's number one item on Christmas shopping lists. The iPod has proven to be an outstanding product for Apple, and if future revisions improve on the product in even the slightest of ways, one can expect that Apple will continue to diligently ship their first entry into the MP3 market.

Secondly, upgrade cycles seem to be swinging around, in all stretches of the computer industry. With DVD burners dropping in price, many users are buying new computers just for DVD burning capabilities. Bluetooth, broadband, and games will also make a push, giving consumers more of a reason to upgrade. This will likely help the entire sector, not just Apple.

Thirdly, the economy wants to recover. I think that this is the most important reason of all. People want to have another series of successful years, and as soon as the next, big product rolls around (possibly the Segway Scooter?), expect money to start flowing through the economic veins more quickly.

Now, obviously, I am no economist, and my advice is anything but stellar, but a break from our economic woes seems to be on the way, with only war and revolution providing a possible bar to recovery. A war with Iraq seems imminent, maybe North Korea and Iran will work their way into the picture as well. South America is still a mess, and the economics of South America could heavily influence the American economy.

All that bad news aside, I'm still betting on a recovery coming within the next six months.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Originally posted by rice_web
Apple's potential move to 17" LCDs on the iMac could spur sales on the product, and give the iMac another lift in sales similar to the original release of the FP iMac.

I think you mean 19". :D

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
How did the Big stock brokerages find out about the updates?

Hmmm can anyone say "Insider Traders like Powerbooks with Superdrives"? I'll bet those nasty stock brokers are regulars at MacRumors.com :D

Warren Buffet is a regular at MacRumors... truth, or just MacRumor... you decide :cool:

Chad4Mac

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2002
Los Angeles
"Over the next two years, Apple will likely be selling more machines than has been the case for the last six months. I say this with likely too great an optimism, but I do believe the possibility of Apple selling more machines and thus generating more revenue is strong."

Strongly agree with that statement, especilly the "next two years." I want to see steady, long term growth; growth that will truley express company valuation based on company strongholds and performance. No more booms! Nice steady growth...please.

TARGET and Dell have just made my fourth quarter. I would like to know the contracted deals between Apple and these companies. What kind of deals are they giving these companies? Wholesale or what?

Blutooth is still sketchy (even though I own a T68I and love the technology). I'm not quite sure people will jump to it to quickly. BUt hopefully, though.

A war with Iraq would do wonders for SA. We would increase our demand for SA petrol products, therefore, "pumping up" there economy. This or course after Sadam lights up the oil files (after we take Bagdhad).

The economy will rebound. The stock market will rebound. Will you be buying stock when the market is down, or up?

Chad4mac

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
Well, I hate to be the wet blanket around here, but the investor outlook for 2003 for Apple, IMHO, is bleak for several reasons:

1) Consumer spending remained strong the past three years ... it was a slowdown in business spending that caused the recession. Apple sales weakened significantly in this period even though it had very little exposure to the corporate market.

2) There is no 'pent up demand' for more consumer spending. Quite the opposite -- personal debt is high and many consumers used home refinancing to keep spending in 2001 and 2002. That train has pulled into the station unless interest rates take another steep plunge.

3) Consumer confidence numbers reported yesterday by the Conference Board were the lowest in eight years. Couple that with a slowing economy in Japan and Europe and the odds of a double-dip U.S. recession are growing. At best, we can hope for continued slow growth in 2003.

4) Apple will not release G5s until late 2003 at the earliest ... and we all know how long it takes Apple to ramp up production to take advantage of new products. Given the wildly deflationary state of the tech industry right now, most upgraders will wait for 2004 or beyond to upgrade their computers. Because computers drop in price very rapidly, it always pays to wait.

And that, my friend, is why tech stocks will NEVER be hot again. Who wants to buy into a deflationary industry? Given the state of the world right now, the only reliable investment is in defense contractors.

But it sure is nice to hear some optimistic voices out there. Keep up the spirit: it's going to be awhile before things turn around, but this too shall pass and Apple will be standing once the troubles are over.

Chad4Mac

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2002
Los Angeles
Chicagdan-

Well put. A couple things to mention.

The Apple's fiscal year ends in September, which could change your analysis (especially if the "G5" reveals itself) of the calendar2003.

"Consumer spending remained strong the past three years ... it was a slowdown in business spending that caused the recession. Apple sales weakened significantly in this period even though it had very little exposure to the corporate market."

Apple's revenue growth is generated off the introduction of new products; Apple strongly depends on this more so than other tech companies . If they introduce a product that is disappointing it would definitely impact the stock -- especially if they have to use cash to operate. There will always be business cycles, the important part is whether companies swallow cash to survive or "innovate there whay out of [the slow business cycle].

"There is no 'pent up demand' for more consumer spending. Quite the opposite -- personal debt is high and many consumers used home refinancing to keep spending in 2001 and 2002. That train has pulled into the station unless interest rates take another steep plunge.

and

"Consumer confidence numbers reported yesterday by the Conference Board were the lowest in eight years. Couple that with a slowing economy in Japan and Europe and the odds of a double-dip U.S. recession are growing. At best, we can hope for continued slow growth in 2003"

Apple has a niche audience; they will always have a consumer base that will not use Windows and Intel machines. That said, consumer demand on the scale I think you are talking about does not apply directly to Apple, especially with its 5% market share.
The 'pent up demand' for Apple consuemrs is more apparent than ever, IMO. Just look at the discussion boards regarding the new chips that are rumored -- again, rumored -- to be placed in the PowerMacs. I think more Apple conusmers and Pros will opt for the transition (exactly rice_web) from thier B&W G3s, etc. to new "G5s." This could be relized in early 2004, if there is a late G5 release in 2003.

Put of the decrease in sales was based on the weak sales of the PM. Once the G5 is released, I at least think we'll gain some of the sale back.

I th

I wouldn't say the investor outlook for Apple 2003/2004 is bleak; I'd say the outlook is some what promising, especially at is current 16.00 valuation.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Well, Apple stock rose $0.09 per share today to $16.07. This is the first time Apple's stock has closed at over $16 in quite a few months (I think). :D

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I think that antipation for new laptops is raising the share prices. I just hope they continue to rise when the laptops are here.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by Falleron
I think that antipation for new laptops is raising the share prices. I just hope they continue to rise when the laptops are here.

I've been following Apple stock trends for a couple years now and usually they go up right before an announcement/MacWorld and drop down right after the announcement.

Not the this is going to happen this time, its just proven itself to be the case for the most part. We'll have to see if it happens again after the 5th

D

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Originally posted by dukestreet
I've been following Apple stock trends for a couple years now and usually they go up right before an announcement/MacWorld and drop down right after the announcement.

Not the this is going to happen this time, its just proven itself to be the case for the most part. We'll have to see if it happens again after the 5th

Well, you have to take into account that for the last couple of years the economy has been in a recession. And now, the economy could be coming back; as i've stated before we've seen some BIG gains in the last few weeks. This surge in Apple stock could be related to the this bounce back. ;)

Let's just hope that the economy has indeed hit the bottom and is already on it's way back up. :)

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
when steve jobs is replaced with a business minded ceo, the stock will go up again...maybe to fifty dollars a share or more...steve job's mercurial and well documented erratic behavior scares any long term investors...just like former california governor jerry brown was the moonbeam governor of the state, steve jobs is the moonbeam ceo of high tech

in his defense, as a pure marketing guy, there is no one better or more charismatic than steve jobs in silicon valley and when he sees a good thing, it's usually revolutionary and cool, but not always a seller...think cube and flower power/dalmation imacs

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
The day they get rid of Steve Jobs, will be the day that I puke myself to death! Steve Jobs is responsible for saving the company from about 5 years ago. The other CEOs before him were highly unsuccessful and almost led to the companies' collapse.

Bottom line, it is not because of Steve Jobs that the companies' market share has come down and it's stock price has plummeted, but a combination of other factors: "Obsolete" hardware, high prices, and the current economic recession have all taken a toll on the company. So stop bashing Steve and start thinking about what's in store for the future! :p

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by Shrek
The day they get rid of Steve Jobs, will be the day that I puke myself to death! Steve Jobs is responsible for saving the company from about 5 years ago. The other CEOs before him were highly unsuccessful and almost led to the companies' collapse.

Bottom line, it is not because of Steve Jobs that the companies' market share has come down and it's stock price has plummeted, but a combination of other factors: "Obsolete" hardware, high prices, and the current economic recession have all taken a toll on the company. So stop bashing Steve and start thinking about what's in store for the future! :p

do a google on steve jobs and you will see a lot of people feel the same way

or http://www.wsj.com and look up articles on steve jobs

but did you see the next paragraph i wrote re: sj? he is truly one of the great marketing geniuses, but not a day to day businessman...can one person be everything? he is a hot and cold type of person...big in failures, but also big in successes

he is like babe ruth...first in home runs but also first in strike outs...give me an ichiro with a steady batting average and good defensive play any day of the week or a ty cobb for the team

we now need a high percentage hitter for apple's ceo...a steady person which steve jobs is not

steve jobs is like a good one inning closing pitcher who can perform good for a short period of time and do it with flash and media blitz

bill gates is a dull cookie but he plans for the long term and is steady as a rock year after year

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.