Apple Stock.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AdamRock, Sep 28, 2010.

1. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

so i want to buy apple stock;

which site do you recommended for buying?

and once i buy apple stock do i ever lose it? like say i buy 10 apple stocks, and the market goes down, do i lose money? and do i lose my stock? or do i have it for ever???

also how much stock can i buy max and if i buy allot of stock does that mean i own a small % of apple?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

No offence, but you could do with this

I have read it, and provides a lot of basic information. It will also help you make the correct decisions.

3. mstrze macrumors 68000

Whenever you buy stock, you own it (the stock)...as many shares as you purchase. The value of those shares may go up and down. You never make or lose money until you decide to sell your stock either for a profit, or a loss (buy it at $250 and sell it for $200...you have lost $50 per share)...if you hold on to your stock...no harm, no foul.

Owning stock let's you have say in some company's decision. Stockholders can vote on certain board of director level issues, and in a way you do own a portion of the company, but a common investor would never come close to owning even 1/10th or one percent of a company like Apple. You can't tell the company what to do unless a HUGE percentage of your fellow stockholders feel the same way as you (and with AAPL as high as it is, it's going to take hundreds of millions of dollars to buy enough stock to have a meaningful say.)

Again, you don't lose or gain money until you sell the stock to someone else. It's value constantly changes, but you don't realize that value until it's sold.

I also recommend you read a beginner stock book. It will answer all of your questions because I am sure more will pop-up.

4. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Stocks are like the player cards in bubblegum packs. The company makes money selling the cards to begin with, but after that there is no real connection between the card and the bubblegum company. If the player on the card does real well, then other folks want to buy that card from you and the price goes up. I have Apple "cards" that I bought for $16.50 each when the company was a minor league player. Now that it's a Major League All-Star, people will pay me $290 for that "card". If I sell, I get the money and the buyer gets the stock to sell over again. The company doesn't gain financially from that transaction.

You do get cool stuff in the mail like annual reports and you get to vote on some things, but owning the stock doesn't equal owning the company.

Dale

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

So what do you do with the bubble gum?

Apple does not send out annual reports, BTW.

6. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I cleaned out my records when I moved, so I can't really dissagree with you. Do you mean they don't mail reports at all? Isn't that an SEC requirement? I have 10Ks from my other investments. Is that different from an Annual Report?

Apple Filings on Yahoo Finance

Dale

Edit: I ate the gum. Interested in a Randy Johnson rookie card? How about A-Rod from Single-A?

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

From apple.com/investor

Q: How do I get a copy of the Annual Report?
    A: Apple does not produce a glossy annual report. Apple's Form 10-K is available on our website. If you require a hard copy, go to the Information Request Form and select 10-K.

Been that way as long as I've owned their stock which is over 10 years.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I have a gun, so don't make me use it. :mad:

Now hand over those certificates, NAO!!!! :apple:

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

10. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

The stock is near a 52 week high. When I bought their stock previously, also at a 52 week high, I quickly came to regret it. Who knows, maybe this Cook issue will push the price down more, but otherwise I'd wait for a cyclical down-turn before jumping on.

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

This is wise.

Sell on good news, buy on bad.

$390 a share is pie-in-the-sky thinking, perhaps by someone that already owns shares? ;)

12. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

See, even today is a much better day to buy AAPL :)

13. AdamRock thread starter macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

i know most of you are suggesting investing for dummies and such, but i dont feel like reading.

that being said my dad also owns/buys/sells stock so i was just wondering how it all worked, also does anyone know how much each stock is worth? i was told it was 400$....

14. macfan881 macrumors 68020

I was seriously thinking about buying this back when it was $77 a share I think i need to give myself one of these lol
    [​IMG]

15. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Jesus dude, you can check quotes on a myriad of websites, aapl is the symbol you want. You say you don't want to read, but if money means anything to you, you should probably educate yourself on the subject.

If you want to take the lazy route, just watch "Mad Money" on tv and take his advice. You may make a little money, but I highly suggest you don't just dive in.

Furthermore, with a stock at 282.52 at the end of trading today you better have A LOT of money to invest to see a decent return.

16. jaykk macrumors 6502a

I finally bought 80 stocks for around $177 last year. I thought $177 was too much at that time, still I went with it. So, its not too late to buy the stock. I am thinking of buying more, what if it goes another $100 in a year or so.

17. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Agreed. At the time I was a little strapped and didn't want to move liquid funds into a stock I wasn't sure would take off. Not to mention, at that time 77 was a little more than I wanted to spend for a share. Little did we know it'd turn in to what it is today. However, I just don't see it getting anywhere near 400 in the next 5 years, I just don't see it sustaining the growth they've seen in the past few years.

I see iAd's increasing revenue decently, but I think Mac's are reaching a few year long saturation point with new users after another few quarters.

18. nastebu macrumors 6502

OP, why do you want to buy Apple stock? The stock market is not an ATM machine. You're quite likely to lose money on your investment, especially if you're looking at the short term (say, within a year and a half).

If it's to learn something about stocks and such things, then why don't you ask your father, or do twenty minutes of research and make a pretend investment Why not just pick a day, an amount of money, and pretend to buy stock, and then keep track of how your "investment" does for a few months.

19. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I just bought some. I'm thinking for the longer run. Apple remains an innovative company and has a good foothold with the younger generation who when they start working will continue to buy more product. Also as they expand their product in China, profits will rise. With profits comes higher stock worth.