Apple stole my iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nathans89, Aug 5, 2008.

1. nathans89 macrumors newbie

So my friend scratched up my iphone 3G and being a bit of a perfectionist it really got to me, so i rang up the apples in the sky and requested a new one at 146 GBP. a bit much just to get rid of a few scratches but i thought I could make the money back selling the scratched up one on ebay. The apples phoned up to confirm whether I want them to swap them... wait SWAP THEM! I bloody well paid for the first one, they want to keep it after i've paid for it! paying for two handsets gets you two doesn't it? how come with apple i literally have to pay twice? is this normal? Im going to go for round 2 with those foul stinking rotten moldy apples tomorrow... anybody else have this problem?

2. scott85213 macrumors member

I don't know what the conversion rate is for your currency, and I'm too lazy to look it up. But are you sure you payed the full cost the second time? You may have just payed a restocking fee or something.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

First off Apple didn't steal anything yet, so your title is wrong.

Now that 146 GBP is for the price of a replacement, not another phone. Warranty does not cover cosmetic damage.

So yes it is a swap; they send you a new phone, you send your old one back. If you try to keep both they'll just charge you the unsubsidized price.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Within the first month of service, you must return the phone. After one month, you should be able to keep it, unless there are different rules on your o2 contract.

TEG

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

you are paying for them to replace the one you have, not buying a new one... :rolleyes:

Don't get all hot and bothered just because you didn't understand what you were agreeing too. Its the same thing with the first gen one. If you drop the thing and it isn't working (or you need it replaced for any other reason) you can get is switched out (outside of warranty) for US $200.

If you really can't stand it, then sell the one you currently have and BUY a new one (not try to get it replaced for scratches).

6. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

LOL yet you won't actually bye a Mac and use a hackintosh.. some perfectionist you are.

Apple are charging what's fair. You allowed it to get scratched up, that's your fault not Apple and now you have to pay if you want a brand new one.

Lets hope you learn your lesson and buy a case if you such a "perfectionist"

7. nathans89 thread starter macrumors newbie

1GBP is about $2 US, but im paying the unsubsidized price i want to keep both! i still dont understand that,

I didnt buy a mac to begin with as id never used one before, only reason i built a hackintosh was to unlock my 1st gen phone using the pwnage tool and try out final cut... i switched a few months go...

technically they have stole it... 146 quid ($290) is being held from my credit card and I have no iphone 3G... the woman in the sky said she didn't understand why i couldn't have my old one back

8. brand macrumors 601

brand

The best part about this thread

9. 545h4 macrumors newbie

Dude, seriously, did you think you could profit off of your "friend" scratching up your phone? Somehow I can imagine even a scratched up 3g iPhone fetching more than the restock fee...

10. juswest macrumors regular

It's not stealing. They actually only get your credit card company to authorize the charge in the event you don't return the phone. Now you can keep the phone. They'll just actually charge you. Then you would've actually paid for 2 phones.

11. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

$290 is not anywheres near the unsubsidized price. The subsidized price for the 16Gb is $299.

12. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

No you're not - you're not even paying the full subsidised price on some contracts. The unsubsidised price is most likely at least twice what you're being charged: The price they quoted is a trade in price based on Apple being able to refurbish and resell the old phone

13. Bakey macrumors 6502

Do the obvious thing and get your friend to pay for it! If they scratched it, then they pay for it... Simple!!

Oh, and when you get your second one - buy a skin or a ZAGG Invisible Shield... :rolleyes:

14. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

OP - in your view of things, once you bought one iphone at the real price, you should be entitled to as many additional phones as you want at the replacement price? This makes no sense, as it would flood the market with cheap phones and effectively reduce the price for everyone to the replacement price.

15. philgilder macrumors 68000

you also havent paid for the 1st iPhone you bought, as that isn't fully paid for until you complete the contract. They have every right to take the old one back

16. kheovnien macrumors member

the grammatical errors in this thread IS hurting my eyes!

17. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You don't own the phone yet, you haven't fully paid for it (the phone costs much more than 146 GBP) that's the subsidized price. You just can't buy an unsubsidized phone yet. You have to pay for it over the course of your contract. If you didn't you could just go to an apple store every week and buy a new one for less than it costs them (146 is subsidized) and turn around and sell it.

The moral of the story is: Go back to school

18. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Get used to it man. You haven't seen anything yet.

19. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

20. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

Best post yet!

21. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

Oh, some people across the pond are so silly. You are paying for a new phone still under warranty. Not unsubsidized. Did you notice the pricing plans when you bought your first phone? Perfectionists often read the fine print. :rolleyes:

22. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yep

You paid for a replacement phone, not ANOTHER phone. Apple can use the parts from your turn in phone to refurb broken ones.

Replacement takes the the place of what you already have, in addition to adds a phone. You paid for a replacement, so you now have one phone.