Apple stop attacking windows?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jim2008, Apr 2, 2010.

1. jim2008 macrumors newbie

Have you noticed, apple hasn't released any new ads to attack windows for a while, I guess because windows 7 received pretty good reviews, it's pretty hard for apple to find things to attack.

To be honest, I'm sick of those ads to attack windows in terms of security. Mac is just as bad as windows in terms of security, if not worse. For last couple years PWN2OWN contest, safari on mac is always the first one got hacked, it didn't even last 10 seconds.

I'm not a windows fan, I hate windows in the fact. But I just feel Apple sometimes just misleading people to believe mac is a safer platform. The only reason we don't need a antivirus software on mac is mac has very small market share, and it's just not worth to write a virus for mac.

2. Piporuno macrumors newbie

Do you really think that market share is the only thing keeping hackers from creating virus for mac?

It's hard for me to believe that there is not one single hacker in the world who would look past the number of people they could infect and just create a virus for mac to prove that they are as vulnerable.

3. Quetsche macrumors member

LOL indeed, but windows users never understand that, they're always saying linux/osx gets hacked less because of the lower market share even though APACHE linux/osx webservers are the big majority.

4. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

lol aside from the other great replies....its basically Apple has focused it efforts towards its mobile devices sans mac portables; mainly iPhone & iPhone OS; iPad & 'iPad OS'.
    Which stands on their own without having to be stood up for.

5. breatheasy macrumors member

I saw a good analogy somewhere:

Windows is like a house with barred windows in rough neighbourhood.
    OS X is like a house with open windows in the countryside.

I think in the next few years we will see things change. Apple undoubtedly will gain a greater market share. Also since the antitrust suits against microsoft, it seems that apple seem to be the more 'evil' organisation these days.

6. Coldmode macrumors regular

There are some absolutely vicious DNS changer viruses out there for Macs, but you don't really see them very often. I assume that in coming years we will see an uptick in the number of viruses tailored to Macs.

7. Esquare macrumors member

Those aren't viruses, but trojans. (Yes, that really makes a difference.)

8. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

9. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Apple haven't released any new ads to attack windows because they blew their advertisement budget on iPhone and soon iPad ads. Besides, a dead horse is a dead horse.

10. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

How exactly does one get a file such as that? Pirated software? I ask because a friend of mine had one on her MBA.

11. Quetsche macrumors member