Apple stopped NAS drive backup?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ThirtyThr33, Jul 24, 2011.

1. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Hey guys, I heard rumor that Apple killed the ability to use a 3rd party NAS Drive as a time capsule backup with Lion. Anyone else hear that? Is there a hack or patch to fix it so we don't have to buy a time capsule? I'd love on but I'm going to be broke as it is in college and I already have a 1TB NAS.

2. jasonbro macrumors regular

The worst thing i ever tried to do was try to get Time Machine to work with nas. I bought an Airport extreme and called it a day. Bought a SSD drive for my MBP, took the 500gb drive, bought an enclosure for $15 and used that as my backup.

Screwing with TM just isn't worth it in my opinion.

I also read in various places you can take the HD out of old time capsules and upgrade them. You could buy one off craigslist and upgrade the HD if you need to.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

It's not so much that Apple killed it but changed the protocol slightly and some NAS devices can't cope with it and need a firmware update.

4. njaremka macrumors 6502

i have a macbook pro, airport extreme, and a WD portable hard drive. i have the hard drive attached to the AEBS, and use it exclusivly for time machine. over the weekend, i upgraded to Lion, and have yet to have any issues with time machine backing up onto the networked drive.

5. PaulyD macrumors 6502

Yep, I read it that Apple updated the AFP version they use which most NAS's haven't done so yet. Some NAS makers are already making new firmware versions that will be compatible but it will be time until they are out.

I never got it working on SL annoyingly so no biggie for me. Actually reminded me to partition my spare harddrive though so I can use it for Time machine

6. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Netgear/Infrant have issued new firmware for the x86-based ReadyNAS units and there is a beta for the SPARC-based ReadyNAS units.

7. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Synology also has the 3.2 DSM beta out which works with Lion.

8. cyberderm macrumors newbie

Help with a Ready NAS issue?

Tired the new CCC on a partition on my ReadyNAS NV + and it wiped out all the files already on the partition instead of politely using the spare few hundred gigs. Any way to un-Mac format or attempt to recover what is now gone?
    Any ideas appreciated.
    Thanks.

9. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

10. Arcadeez macrumors member

Arcadeez

Yes. Lion also stop Qnap's Time Machine backup.
    Qnap realized the problem, and new firmware will be released.