Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the course of the last week, Apple appears to have ceased selling two popular smart lock products in its retail stores and online. Neither the August Smart Lock nor the Kwikset Kevo Wireless-Enabled Deadbolt Lock are listed on Apple's website, but both were still for sale on November 13.

The August Smart Lock and the Kwikset Kevo are both Bluetooth-enabled locks that allow users to unlock their doors using their iPhones. It is not clear why Apple has decided to stop selling the locks, but it could be in an effort to highlight only products that offer HomeKit compatibility. The Kwikset Kevo and the August Smart Lock are not HomeKit-enabled products and cannot be used with other HomeKit devices.

kwiksetkevo.jpg

While Apple is no longer selling the Kwikset Kevo or the August Smart Lock, it is selling the Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt, another smart lock that does offer HomeKit compatibility. The Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt is in fact the only locking product that offers HomeKit integration thus far. August has debuted a second-generation product that includes HomeKit integration, and when that begins shipping to customers, it's possible Apple may continue offering the August Smart Lock in its stores.

Apple has also pulled the Belkin WeMo switch from its online store, suggesting it may be ceasing to offer several home-connected products that are not also offering HomeKit to avoid confusing its customers.

Apple sells quite a few HomeKit products in its retail stores and online, offering devices from Ecobee, Philips, Elgato, Lutron, and Schlage.

Article Link: Apple Stops Selling iPhone-Connected Smart Locks from August and Kevo

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
Hey, I'm digging my schlage sense. I'm cool with this. I wish August was a little earlier to the party, but probably would've gotten the same anyway.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Cue loads of people moaning about how unsafe wireless locks are and how you can't get into your house when their phone dies etc etc etc zzzzzz

Studioman

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
I think one just needs to check the reviews on Amazon to understand why Apple pulled these 2 locks and kept the Schlage...
I think the primary reason is the refusal to support HomeKit. They have ceased selling several other none supporting products since the release of HomeKit.

BobCinDaHouse

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2015
I think one just needs to check the reviews on Amazon to understand why Apple pulled these 2 locks and kept the Schlage...

I agree 100%. I installed Kevo in my doors and it was VERY flaky. Especially since my bluetooth was hooked into Ford Sync moments prior. I think there was some conflict there with bluetooth.

In using Kevo, I had to pull my phone out and unlock my phone and open app to unlock my door. This TOTALLY defeats the purpose of product. If I had anything in my hands I had to drop it all and pull out my keys.....err, I mean my phone to unlock my door. I was better of saving 120 bucks and sticking with a standard lock.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I was thinking of getting a Kevo, until I read the reviews.

I think the deal breaker was that to unlock the door, you had to have your phone close to the lock. I like the idea of being in my car, and unlocking the door before getting out of the car.

I am very interested in this home automation stuff, but would like to seem more things, and more reliable things.

SlipperySlop

Suspended
Sep 14, 2015
Hey, I'm digging my schlage sense. I'm cool with this. I wish August was a little earlier to the party, but probably would've gotten the same anyway.
I've become very disenchanted with the Scalage Sense with regard to locking and unlocking remotely via Bluetooth and the Apple TV4. It's very, very unreliable. Only works about 20% of the time. I end of swearing at Siri.

Within the house, with direct Bluetooth, it's fine. I'm calling Schlage tomorrow. If they don't have a solution, i.e. software upgrade coming to fix this, then the Schlage sense goes into the trash.

And their app doesn't work remotely. Can't enter codes remotely, etc. What a nightmare. I wish I never got involved in this product.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
I almost bought an August lock but its performance still wasn't acceptable enough for me, unfortunately. And it was one of the better locks on the market too. Maybe a few more generations from now they'll be.

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
***does the lock open when you get close to the door with your iPhone? that's why I pre ordered the August 2, looking for that feature

cyberdogl2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
***does the lock open when you get close to the door with your iPhone? that's why I pre ordered the August 2, looking for that feature
I've owned the August for more than a year now and in the first month it was flaky but then now it's SOLID. there was a firmware update months ago. i can always count on it unlocking as I walk up to my door. can't wait to upgrade to August 2

edit: must clarify that i have August Connect as well. i don't know if August Connect is opening my door or my phone as i get close. either way it works 10/10 times never fails

Last edited:

cyberdogl2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
oh and the only time it didn't work fast, was because I had the phone in low power mode. it eventually unlocked but it took an extra 8 seconds or so.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Kevo has never not worked for me. I love it!

Your double negative makes me think you hated it always.

And yes I've read so many bad reviews. Even tried it myself and complete garbage. When I asked about the security of the system the tech said I don't understand. It's a lock.

No crap. But what security measures are in place preventing your systems from falsely allowing my door to unlock by a malicious user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.