Apple Stops Signing iOS 10.3.2

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 9, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Following the release of iOS 10.3.3 on July 19, Apple has stopped signing iOS 10.3.2, the previous version of iOS that was available to consumers.

iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch owners who have upgraded to iOS 10.3.3 will no longer be able to downgrade their devices to iOS 10.3.2.

Apple routinely stops signing older versions of software updates after new releases come out in order to encourage customers to keep their operating systems up to date.

iOS 10.3.3 is now the only version of iOS 10 that can be installed on iOS devices by the general public, but developers and public beta testers can download iOS 11, a future update that is being beta tested and will be released in the fall.

Article Link: Apple Stops Signing iOS 10.3.2

2. navier macrumors regular

navier

Oh my! I just wanted to downgrade as my battery life has been terrible since the 10.3.3 update...

Now it's too late

3. diegov12 macrumors member

Couldn't save SHSH blobs?

4. sammcj macrumors member

sammcj

I don't mean to be rude here, but is this really news - It happens every major iOS release.

It is likely one of the ways Apple promote the use of up to date OS versions / patches.

5. Bill Av macrumors member

Unlike Nigel Tufnel's prized amp, most of my devices won't be going up to 11.

10.3.3 is where they'll stay.

6. LovingTeddy macrumors 6502a

LovingTeddy

This is one of the reasons that I stepped using iOS... I want to use whatever version I want. I have iOS constantly nagging me install iOS update and not let me go have to earlier version.

Using Huawei and Motorola phone, could not be happier

7. -BigMac- macrumors 6502a

-BigMac-

You can use any version you want? Just dont restore and youre fine

8. diegov12 macrumors member

If you want to restore to an earlier version of iOS, save SHSH blobs.

You can also install a profile that stops all iOS updates.

9. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

10.3.3 was a huge security update - I can't imagine why anyone would possible be sad or upset by this news (jailbreakers I guess?). Not to mention Apple stops signing old versions very regularly, so there shouldn't be anything surprising here.

10. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

Exactly, I’ll never understand it either.

Which is why the software on those phones is more prone to security threats. The option is nice for power users but absolutely the wrong approach for most users. Most users aren’t going to understand the nuances of software updates and security patches; all they will do is complain about how they got hacked or whatever. iOS is the safest and most secure mobile OS and pushing users to update and preventing them from restoring to old software is one of the big reasons for that.

11. B4U macrumors 65816

B4U

[​IMG]
    This is why...
    --- Post Merged, Aug 9, 2017 ---
    I tried to do the same by installing the tvOS profile, but it forced me to change my passcode after a few days...
    Did you find any work around on that?

12. smorrissey macrumors 6502a

Good rid. Horrible firmware made my ipad air 2 unstable 2 times.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 9, 2017 ---
    I was thinking for a breif moment to "upgrade" my iphone 6s firmware from ios 9.3.5 to 10.3.3 this week....better not....

13. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

14. Troz1958 macrumors newbie

Troz1958

Don't you have to be jailbroken to save SHSH blobs?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 10, 2017 ---

15. Christoffee macrumors regular

Christoffee

16. Marshall73 macrumors 65816

Marshall73

I have had my personal iPhone 7 Plus on iOS 11 since developer beta 1. I put my iPad Pro 10.5 on iOS 11 as soon as I got it. My work iPhone 7 Plus is on 10.3.3 and I prefer 11 over it in every way, even though 11 is still in beta.

17. sand_man macrumors 6502a

sand_man

18. diegov12 macrumors member

You
    don't have to.
    You can just go to a website, put in some device details and you're done.

19. now i see it macrumors 65816

After the bricking fiasco some people had in the past with iOS updates, and the "wrecking" of my older iPhones (4S, 5) I experienced from updating those phones to the point they were unbearable to use due to slowing, I was FED UP with Apple hosing my hardware with iOS updates. So after updating to the last version of iOS 9 on my iPhone 6 I locked it down with the tvOS 10 beta profile to stop the incessant nagware.

Ever since that got installed, my iPhone has been a JOY to use. No more endless iOS updates & bugs & breaking features that used to work. Phone works great.

For me, when I installed it back then there were no issues. Just an end to the incessant nagware. I don't recall having to change a password. But I 'think' passwords now have to be 6 digits instead of four.

20. navier macrumors regular

navier

now it's too late :(

21. B4U macrumors 65816

B4U

After I installed the profile for a few days, the phone decided to prompt me to change the passcode with a count down timer.
    That is where it got me into panic mode.

22. jp987777 macrumors newbie

well that's too bad. I had an iphone in today that ran 10.3.2 without an issue. Once they updated to 10.3.3 phone entered recovery mode. DFU mode restore failed and now 10.3.2 is no longer installable.

23. navier macrumors regular

navier

It is me or 10.3.3 messed up auto brightness _and_ night shift warm/cool levels?