Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
So they should leave a security risk there for the 0.000000001% of users, potentially opening more problems by leaving those gates open? Got it.
The same way they have no problem leaving hundreds of millions of macs exposed to security threats when they decide to quit allowing new OS's & software updates to be installed on them.

"Security" is not an argument, its a half baked excuse, & does not justify removing peoples ability to undo damage that upgrades may cause to their devices performance or functionality. It's unethical.

Reactions: MrGuder and Altis

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
Yep, 11.3.1 to 11.4 very few new features and for some people battery drain or something, some crushing bugs, could make one happy enough with what an earlier version offers potentially

And JB isn’t actually out, just the exploits for it to happen soon hopefully... but in apple’s defense, it has been par for the course to unsign firmware about a week and change or so after a new version comes out. This isn’t specific to 11.3.1 and because its getting a jailbreak. That’s a misnomer a bit

Except major versions they normally let the prior major version stay signed a while for corporations/etc that have deal breaking bugs or app compatibility issues before forced adoption

having said all that, I still think this sucks and wont actually DEFEND apple doing it. It’s to ensure high adoption rate %’s
guys - when was the last time you were able to do an untethered easy as pie jailbreak - I exit the JB the scene after 10x as Apple has been doing a "good" job breaking the jailbreaks and adding features that I needed it.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
guys - when was the last time you were able to do an untethered easy as pie jailbreak - I exit the JB the scene after 10x as Apple has been doing a "good" job breaking the jailbreaks and adding features that I needed it.

Untethered jailbreak but not signed at time of release - iOS 9.1

A signed version? I think 9.3.3 but semi tethered

I don’t mind semi tethered personally at all but to each his own

Most jailbreaks are easy to implement, just running a pc app or as of recent, side loading an ipa

Idk from personal experience but reading lots of random problems with 11.4

Major bummer even for non jailbreakere

Now it’s 11.4.x or 12.0.x in the fall unless you wanna do betas.

riber79

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
Denmark
Can you share what kind of problems people are having with 11.4 that going back to 11.3.1 is the only "life saving" choice?

After updating my iPhone X from iOS 11.3.1 to 11.4 it is now suffering from randomly unresponsive touchscreen (making it quite useless). Everything was fine up until 11.4. Doing a restore via DFU doesn’t help - the issue persists... if only one could downgrade to 11.3.1 :(

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
After updating my iPhone X from iOS 11.3.1 to 11.4 it is now suffering from randomly unresponsive touchscreen (making it quite useless). Everything was fine up until 11.4. Doing a restore via DFU doesn’t help - the issue persists... if only one could downgrade to 11.3.1 :(

I thought I saw a thread about this too where multiple people had the problem?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Here’s a start for “more people posting about it”; there are more, both on MR and other sites:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/11-4-se-fast-battery-drain.2120873/unread

My anecdotal scenario with battery drain has to do with iCloud messages. It simply would not sync (“Retrieving messages from the cloud” displayed constantly in the Messages app). Battery drain on my 7+ was roughly 5% every 10 minutes and the phone ran insanely hot while the app was trying to sync. Turning it off seems to fix the problem.

It appears iCloud messages may not yet be ready for wide release and play significant role in the battery drain issue.

So then why is downgrading to 11.3.1 necessary at all? Just turn off iCloud Messages.

I haven't even turned that feature on, having no real use for it.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
So then why is downgrading to 11.3.1 necessary at all? Just turn off iCloud Messages.

I haven't even turned that feature on, having no real use for it.

Could hypothetically still have drain even with it disabled / by lack of optimization

But can’t speak to it since not on 11.4

Cecco

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
It is illegal !

As reinstallling the firmware in case of problems is common practice for computers and mobile devices and even recommended by Apple, forcing you to update the system aka firmware in case you are currently on an older version is illegal and violating consumer rights in most countries. If you buy a device you have the right to keep it in its original state, which includes the version of firmware. It is not identical to the right to arbitrarily install any firmware available for that device but by forcing Apple to wave its firmware signing procedure nothing would stop you from doing this.;)

I'm really puzzled noone ever started a class action lawsuit against Apple to stop their firmware signing practice. I bet Apple won't even fight this on court as there is very little chance they could win. Maybe they simply pay their fine and change their practice. Being smart people they probably come up with another solution that will prevent you from downgrading that is in line with comsumer rights though. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

donglewhine

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2016
Can you share what kind of problems people are having with 11.4 that going back to 11.3.1 is the only "life saving" choice?
In my case (and many others), it's the insane battery draining issue. I've never had issues with an update before (I don't even know how to downgrade!) but 11.4 has rendered my iPhone almost useless. At least keeping one version back signed would be somewhat reasonable. IMHO

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
iOS 11.4 has been working wonky lately on my iPhone 6s this morning I pulled up the control panel and it was transparent. I could see right through it. I had to reboot my phone to get it back to normal.

stvmor

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2018
My hearing aids will nolonger connect reliably via bluetooth app with 11.4 so it is almost impossible for me to hear telephone conversations. That is a 'life saving' choice for me. Now i have to wait and hope that 11.4.1 will resolve the problem otherwise my £3000 aids are useless.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
My hearing aids will nolonger connect reliably via bluetooth app with 11.4 so it is almost impossible for me to hear telephone conversations. That is a 'life saving' choice for me. Now i have to wait and hope that 11.4.1 will resolve the problem otherwise my £3000 aids are useless.

Yikes! I would ask for a replacement from Apple store that will likely be on an older version

I’m sure they’ll accommodate your needs given it’s an accessibility issue

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Please update us on what Apple support/genius have to say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.