MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the release of iOS 13.6 on July 15, Apple has stopped signing iOS 13.5.1, which means downgrading to that version of iOS is no longer possible.

iOS-13.6-beta-feature-purple.jpg

iOS 13.5.1 was a security update that was released to address the vulnerability that allowed for the unc0ver jailbreaking tool that worked with many recent versions of iOS, including iOS 13.5.

Apple routinely stops signing older versions of software updates after new releases come out in order to encourage customers to keep their operating systems up to date.

iOS 13.6, which introduced Car Keys, Apple News audio stories, and more, is the only current publicly available version of iOS that can be installed on iPhones and iPads. Apple has also seeded betas of upcoming iOS and iPadOS 14 updates to developers and public beta testers.

Article Link: Apple Stops Signing iOS 13.5.1 Following Release of iOS 13.6

BaltimoreMediaBlog

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast
This is the one Apple practice that I most despise. This is what cost me 50+ 32 bit games apps that I then had to purchase all over again mostly or just forget them as some were never updated. I think this practice should be illegal in fact.

I had a battery replacement also that Apple made me pay for, but then shipped the phone back to me with an updated IOS that ruined 50+ apps.

This is just a horrible practice on so many levels.

Comment

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Fastest I have ever in my life hit 'Update'. 13.5.1 was a turd supreme. Don't even care what regressed.
I’m having more problems with 13.6 than I ever had with 13.5.1. News just sits there and spins before the “For You” section.

But my big issue is that the order of my Safari tabs keep shifting around—very frustrating because they’re mapped in my head and I expect to see tabs in a certain order. Even after I move them back to where they’re “supposed” to be, they won’t stay that way. They move back to within a few tabs of where they were before I moved them 🤬

As someone who has almost 400 open tabs, yeah, I’m frustrated. It’s screwing with my my finely honed system 😂

Reactions: I7guy and Marekul
Comment

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
This is the one Apple practice that I most despise. This is what cost me 50+ 32 bit games apps that I then had to purchase all over again mostly or just forget them as some were never updated. I think this practice should be illegal in fact.

I had a battery replacement also that Apple made me pay for, but then shipped the phone back to me with an updated IOS that ruined 50+ apps.

This is just a horrible practice on so many levels.
Apple is trying to look out for people who don’t install updates that are often security based. If Apple didn’t do this kind of thing and numerous people got exploited, there would be a class action suit filed quicker than I can finish typing this post.

Apple is being pro active. And for many people, Apple is a bit too extreme.

Comment

now i see it

macrumors 604
Jan 2, 2002
As annoying as the persistent nag screens are to update the OS... It's not like you HAVE to. It's not difficult to not update. Just don't click "yes"

Reactions: KeithBN
Comment

katbel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2009
Who wish to go back to 13.5.1? I would have liked not to have ever updated: it ruined my iPad that was replaced by Apple being at the end of the 1st year of life

Last edited:
Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple is trying to look out for people who don’t install updates that are often security based. If Apple didn’t do this kind of thing and numerous people got exploited, there would be a class action suit filed quicker than I can finish typing this post.

Apple is being pro active. And for many people, Apple is a bit too extreme.
There's certainly all of that, although to be fair, at the same time, still having older versions that are signed and someone can decide to install likely wouldn't have that much of an impact one way or another since there would likely be very few (at least relatively speaking) that would make use of that, especially since the vast majority of typical users wouldn't even know about it, how to do it, or really usually care enough to actually bother with it even if they found out about it.

Last edited:
Comment

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
As annoying as the persistent nag screens are to update the OS... It's not like you HAVE to. It's not difficult to not update. Just don't click "yes"
But user needs to be aware of this tvOS profile trick, download the profile and install it to stop iOS from updating, and in iOS 13 till iOS 13.5.1 that trick is disabled by Apple. Also, for people who is not aware of how iOS update works, they will probably get updates installed without realising.

Comment

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: jezbd1997 and I7guy
Comment

jezbd1997

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne Australia
Nope. And my 6s handles them beautifully 🙂 iOS 13.6, not so much.

View attachment 936646

PS I have managed to pare it down a little over the last couple weeks...

But why?? At most I might leave 5 open to come back to them but always close tabs after I’m done.
You actually remember what all your tabs are ? How ?

Comment

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
Didn't even realise this had been released any my phone never alerted. Literally this post is the first i'm hearing of 13.6

Comment

now i see it

macrumors 604
Jan 2, 2002
Coming from someone who kept his iPhone on iOS 9 for the last 5 years, (and it's still on iOS 9) I can say with complete conviction that I'll never do that again. The iPhone experience gradually deteriorates as the world moves on— stuff stops working.

My new iPhone is on the latest version of iOS and I'll definitely upgrade it (after a few weeks of waiting to see if it's ok) to every new version of iOS for as long as it'll take it.

Staying on an old version of iOS has its perks for a little while, but long term it's a loser. I'd know

Comment

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
But why?? At most I might leave 5 open to come back to them but always close tabs after I’m done.
You actually remember what all your tabs are ? How ?
Why would you close them? Don’t you ever visit the same site again? For me, it’s easier to just leave it open 🙂

How? I don’t really know. It’s just something that happens to be easy for me, like some people are good with navigating/directions or doing math in their head.

I flick to the general area where I know it is and once I see where I am, I know if I need to go up or down from where I’m currently at.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: jezbd1997
Comment

Kastellen

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2014

Unfortunately there is literally no option to say "no". It's only "Install Now", "Install Tonight", or some variant on "Install Later" or "Remind Me Later". You have to choose "Install Later" and then cancel out when it asks you to schedule. It's the most obnoxious thing I've ever seen, aside from Apple automatically downloading the updates without your permission and using your bandwith, and doing it again if you delete the update. APPLE KNOWS BEST, AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT.

Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Unfortunately there is literally no option to say "no". It's only "Install Now", "Install Tonight", or some variant on "Install Later" or "Remind Me Later". You have to choose "Install Later" and then cancel out when it asks you to schedule. It's the most obnoxious thing I've ever seen, aside from Apple automatically downloading the updates without your permission and using your bandwith, and doing it again if you delete the update. APPLE KNOWS BEST, AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT.
iOS 13.6 has the option to disable automatic download of software updates.

Comment

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
iOS 13.6 has the option to disable automatic download of software updates.
The impact of forced update would only be visible if there is at least one major version discrepancy between iOS on device and iOS that is supported. Time will tell.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.