Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the release of iOS 14.7.1 last week, Apple has stopped signing iOS 14.7, the previously available version of iOS that was released earlier in July. With iOS 14.7 no longer being signed, it is not possible to downgrade to iOS 14.7 if you've already installed iOS 14.7.1.

14.7-on-iPhone-12-feature.jpg

Apple routinely stops signing older versions of software updates after new releases come out in order to encourage customers to keep their operating systems up to date.

iOS 14.7 added MagSafe Battery Pack support and addressed several bugs. iOS 14.7.1 included a critical security fix for a bug that may have been actively exploited in the wild, and it addressed an issue that could prevent Touch ID phones from unlocking a connected Apple Watch.

Given that iOS 14.7.1 includes an important bug fix, it's important for all iOS users to upgrade as soon as possible if they have not done so already.

Article Link: Apple Stops Signing iOS 14.7 Following iOS 14.7.1 Release

Last edited:

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Thanks for reporting, MacRumors.

Now my plan is to wait a couple more days to see if Apple releases another update (iOS 14.7.2 maybe) and if not, if this is definitely the last iOS 14 release, I’ll perform a clean install restoring my devices. I guess I’ll stay on iOS 14 for a long time until iOS 15 is really polished.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Thanks for reporting, MacRumors.

Now my plan is to wait a couple more days to see if Apple releases another update (iOS 14.7.2 maybe) and if not, if this is definitely the last iOS 14 release, I’ll perform a clean install restoring my devices. I guess I’ll stay on iOS 14 for a long time until iOS 15 is really polished.
Apple is planning to support iOS 14 and 15 at the same time so it's pretty unlikely this is the final release.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Apple is planning to support iOS 14 and 15 at the same time so it's pretty unlikely this is the final release.
I have been wondering why Apple decided to do this, especially since all devices on iOS14 can upgrade to iOS15. Are they introducing some new things that might not work well, and thus keeping iOS14 as a fallback? I mean Apple tends to force all supported devices to the newest iOS. I mean this kind of things sometimes made me wary of what's coming.

BreakingKayfabe

Suspended
Oct 22, 2020
Southern Cal
Nothing wrong with iOS 15, been running the betas since day 1.
Except Safari screwing with my muscle memory.

I’m not looking forward to the iPhone 13 considering it will come with iOS 15. I ran the beta on my daily driver for a week and it made me realize just how much I use Safari.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Except Safari screwing with my muscle memory.

I’m not looking forward to the iPhone 13 considering it will come with iOS 15. I ran the beta on my daily driver for a week and it made me realize just how much I use Safari.
Give it time you’ll get use to the new safari 👉📱😁 I can’t go back to iOS 14 safari, liking the newly designed safari.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I just recently updated my last iOS device, an iPhone X to iOS 14.7 and subsequently 14.7.1. Although I do like the widgets stuff, it still needs to be more controllable and easy to access and manage. I feel like iOS is starting to become too complex and difficult to navigate. I just use Search and Siri to launch my apps now because swiping and looking through pages amongst widgets is messed up. It doesn't feel as bad on my iPhone 6s and 2017 iPad Pro, but it doesn't feel well thought on my iPhone X.

Reactions: Big Ron

Kalixt

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2021
I just recently updated my last iOS device, an iPhone X to iOS 14.7 and subsequently 14.7.1. Although I do like the widgets stuff, it still needs to be more controllable and easy to access and manage. I feel like iOS is starting to become too complex and difficult to navigate. I just use Search and Siri to launch my apps now because swiping and looking through pages amongst widgets is messed up. It doesn't feel as bad on my iPhone 6s and 2017 iPad Pro, but it doesn't feel well thought on my iPhone X.
Have you ever heard that apps can be grouped together in one folder ? I have quite a lot apps and I have only two tabs. Additionally app icons and folders on these two tabs doesn’t extend behind first half of the page. If you cant find apps and its hard to navigate through them you should orginaze them better.
B27B58DA-953C-46FB-BCD7-213AE82EBCE0.png
F91B19B6-63D9-4E5E-8903-888CC791E9FE.png

• Haha
Reactions: Babygotfont

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I have been wondering why Apple decided to do this, especially since all devices on iOS14 can upgrade to iOS15. Are they introducing some new things that might not work well, and thus keeping iOS14 as a fallback? I mean Apple tends to force all supported devices to the newest iOS. I mean this kind of things sometimes made me wary of what's coming.
Blame enterprise and business users for this. They are always the biggest speed bump for adapting bleeding edges. They value stability and high uptime over new gimmicks.

• Angry

Big Ron

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
United Kingdom
Have you ever heard that apps can be grouped together in one folder ? I have quite a lot apps and I have only two tabs. Additionally app icons and folders on these two tabs doesn’t extend behind first half of the page. If you cant find apps and its hard to navigate through them you should orginaze them better.
View attachment 1814063 View attachment 1814064
Excellent wallpaper - would you care to share?

• Haha

Zimmy68

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2008
I have been trying everyday to update but both my iPad Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max still say no update available and still shows 14.7.
I have never had to wait so long for an update. Am I doing something wrong?

Captain Trips

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2020
Two other potential use cases why some people may not go to iOS 15:
  1. Their iPhone is supported in iOS 14 but not iOS 15. [Haven't seen supported device list for iOS 15, if it is the same as iOS14 then this is not a relevant use case]
  2. They have a valid reason (to them, which is all that really matters) for staying on iOS 14. [Seriously, how many times have people on this site say they will stay on a previous version of MacOS / iOS / iPadOS / etcetera]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.