Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the release of iOS 14.0.1 on Thursday, September 24, Apple has stopped signing iOS 14, which means downgrading to the launch version of iOS 14 after upgrading to iOS 14.0.1 is no longer possible.

ios-14.0.1-feature.jpg

Apple routinely stops signing older versions of software updates after new releases come out in order to encourage customers to keep their operating systems up to date.

iOS 14.0.1 was a bug fix update fixing issues that weren't able to be addressed in the initial version of iOS 14. The update fixed a bug that could cause third-party apps set as the default to reset after the iPhone is restarted. It also addressed a bug that could prevent the ‌iPhone‌ from connecting to some WiFi networks, and fixed an issue that could prevent sending email with some mail carriers.

iOS 14.0.1 is the current publicly available version of iOS that people can download, but there's also an iOS 14.2 update that has been provided to developers and public beta testers. iOS 14.2 introduces new emoji 13 characters, a Shazam Music Recognition feature for the Control Center, and some other Apple Music-related Control Center tweaks.

Article Link: Apple Stops Signing iOS 14 After Releasing iOS 14.0.1

jz0309

macrumors 603
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I guess they are following their usual process - might want to think about following the same processes of the past that gave us more stable OS (iOS, watchOS, Mojave, Catalina all have recent issues in the past 2 weeks...) ...

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I'm still on iOS 13, and I'm going to stay on it for awhile I think.

Remember when Apple was synonymous with a certain quality level? It was how we justified their prices being much higher than everyone else's? It seems like they've decided to just increase the pace of hiking up the prices and let quality continue to decline.

SR 7

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
U guys remember when jobs would release stuff early? Yeah, this guy releases stuff 2 months late.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Remember when Apple was synonymous with a certain quality level? It was how we justified their prices being much higher than everyone else's? It seems like they've decided to just increase the pace of hiking up the prices and let quality continue to decline.
As an objective statement this falls flat. As a subjective statement...sure.

Reactions: Will Tisdale 🎗

Will Tisdale 🎗

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2019
Selby, UK

iOS 14 seems ok. Beta period was reasonably painless and every build was usable on a daily driver. I wouldn’t worry too much about upgrading. I’m on 14.2 now and that seems fine too.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY

same... no real rush for me to upgrade. I want to so I can use my new S6 watch but I don't want headaches. :rolleyes:

Will Tisdale 🎗

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2019
Selby, UK
same... no real rush for me to upgrade. I want to so I can use my new S6 watch but I don't want headaches. :rolleyes:
I wouldn’t worry about it. iOS 13 is long gone history to me since WWDC and I haven’t had any significant issues with 14. Even with third party apps. It’s certainly more evolutionary than revolutionary.

fbr$

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2020
14.0.1 on my iPhone 8 Plus here, the home screen doesn't work on landscape orientation anymore, tried to restart the iPhone but it didn't help. Apps like Files, Photos and Safari still work on landscape orientation.

I'd like Apple to improve the landscape experience on my iPhone, for example enabling it on the Music app, not make it worse.

Hope this is a bug, not intentional.

thadoggfather

Suspended
Oct 1, 2007
This is getting ridiculous... I understand stopping 13.7 shortly after 14.0 to push adoption rates, even though I still don't agree with it but - why here? They're already on iOS 14

the verdict still isn't out that 14.0.1 is a full upgrade from 14.0, despite the incremented naming convention and small bug fixes. Sometimes one bug fix creates others.

Glad to be staying on 14.0 on my SE1 for now. Works well enough

sharko74

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2010
except those of us, of course, who need the gps track. Apple seems to think we should fix that our selves.
#13stillworksfine

PsykX

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2006
You guys all have problems with iOS 14? Been running perfectly fine here since Beta 4.
My gf has had quite a lot of problems with Mail and her iCloud email though.

russell_314

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2019
USA
This happens after every update. Are we going to have this article for 14.03 and 14.04 and 14.05 and 14.06?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.