Apple store 5s on Tmobile unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tomb01, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Tomb01 macrumors 6502

Bought Tmobile phones for my wife and myself, both iPhone 5s, from the Apple Store, a year ago. I 'believe' that means they are unlocked, but am not certain. How would I check? I thought that cash purchased phones for a Tmobile network bought at the Apple Store were unlocked, just trying understand if that is the case. Thanks in advance.

2. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

If you paid full price for them they are unlocked. To check, simply try to insert an AT&T or other foreign sim card. Also, if you restore it through iTunes you should get a message something to the effect of "Congratulations, your iPhone is unlocked."

3. Tomb01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, Tardman91. Was hoping for some option other than inserting someone else's sim, but... Should get our iPhone 6's this week, and will be selling our 5s'. Want to be able to confirm on eBay that the phones are truly unlocked. Appreciate your quick response.

4. Chatter macrumors 6502a

You could always check a couple of the IMEI websites that tell you if a phone is unlocked. If you are TMo, it *should* also show under the account tab where the lines and phones are listed.

5. Tomb01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, contacted Apple and they indicated that our phones are locked on Tmobile, even though we bought them full price at the Apple store. Contacted Tmobile and they are sending the unlock codes now.

6. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Aha. Awesome. Not sure why TMo locked them down but atleast there is no drama to unlock them. Congrats!

7. Tomb01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, maybe... got the 'unlock' email, and it tells me to 'put in the new sim' and I'll get a message 'congratulations your phone is unlocked', but I have no new sim (am going to sell it as unlocked), so not sure where/when I will get the confirmation. Sigh, nuthin's easy any more.

8. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Just restore the phone through iTunes. Once you get the message, you are done. You do not need the new sim to make this happen. Give it a try - it worked for me (on Tmo). *fingers crossed*