Apple Store and AppleCare Employees to Receive Free Apple Arcade and Apple TV+ Starting January [Updated]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Update: MacRumors has obtained what appears to be a legitimate internal bulletin from Apple that indicates both Apple Store and AppleCare support employees from levels S1-S5 will be eligible to receive free access to Apple Arcade and Apple TV+ starting January 6. The bulletin does not mention Apple Music.

Original story follows.

At least some Apple Store employees will receive free access to Apple Music, Apple TV+, and Apple Arcade starting in January, according to 9to5Mac.

The report claims the perk will be limited to individual use by the employees themselves, so if they wanted to use Family Sharing for any of the services, they would have to pay for a subscription on their own.

It is unclear based on the report if every Apple Store employee will be offered this perk or if the perk will available globally.

Apple can benefit from offering this perk by having more of its employees gain first-hand experience with three of its major services, which can be useful when interacting with customers. It's unclear how long it will last.

Apple Store employees have been offered various perks over the years, such as 50 percent off the purchase of an Apple Watch in 2015.

Article Link: Apple Store and AppleCare Employees to Receive Free Apple Arcade and Apple TV+ Starting January [Updated]

Last edited:

gplusplus

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2018
They do a good job of taking care of their employees. I have friends who are products of Apple’s system of doing things and they’re incredibly happy and successful.

Reactions: Classie

bjoswald

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
Good on Apple. Treat your employees like they’re valuable and get great, dependable service in return.

Yumbo

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2011
Australia
The report claims the perk will be limited to individual use by the employees themselves, so if they wanted to use Family Sharing for any of the services, they would have to pay for a subscription on their own.
Family Sharing is built in.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Family Sharing is built in.
If you try to turn on Family Sharing it’ll prompt you to upgrade your subscription to a Consumer Tier. If you’re already on a Apple Music Family Plan it’ll prompt you to switch to the Individual Plan.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Dag, it would seem that if you want your front line people to support products well, you would have done this awhile ago.
Should have included Apple News...gotta get those sub numbers up...:p
Agreed on the first part—the cost to Apple is minuscule vs. what it would cost to provide their employees with physical hardware.

And with an Apple employee in the family, I can confirm it does in fact include Apple Music, but only an individual subscription.

DeepIn2U

macrumors 603
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I already spend too much time on MacRumors and can probably answer any customer question like I do with friends and family. It is sounding worthwhile to work there on the weekends to talk to people about Apple products, while getting these free perks and discounts. :D
It's about the "peerkkkssss"

Just pray you're not this guy who gets a call like this:

GregJohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2015
Saskatoon, SK
likely most of the employees already are subscribed lol but I think its a good idea, makes sense and if someone wasn't subscribed they can now know more about the service they are promoting haha

• Wow
Reactions: Babygotfont

PickUrPoison

macrumors 603
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Employees are probably thinking, "Gee thanks." It's like getting a subscription to the "Jelly of the Month" club.

Also, this is a great way for Apple to artificially boost their Apple TV+ and Arcade subscription numbers.
Apple is unlikely to disclose any numbers, and even if they did, it would probably be only for paids but I guess we’ll find out in a future earnings calls 🤷‍♂️

I don’t really see a reason to be concerned but ymmv.

In any case I t’s amusing to see posters project their own contempt for Apple onto their employees. I suppose it could be that employees might be upset with this freebie and might look a gift horse in the mouth scornfully, but I’m skeptical.

Last edited:

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I really enjoy my RING products. I had a question about the RING App. My son has a item on his that I do not have and we could not figure out why. So I called support (which is normally good). The Rep said she does NOT have the App and the simulator was down and she said no one knew the answer. My point is employees should use the products the support. Give them a free camera for the house so they use the product. For sure Apple is doing the right thing here.

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Free stuff is always nice but limiting it to a personal sub seems a bit tight, at least allow the employee to pay the difference. Where I work our perks certainly seem a lot more generous than Apple!

• Angry

idrewuk

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2008
What do these internal bulletins look like? Would love to see how Apple’s employee communications look... I think they use an app?

• Angry