Carrier Apple Store and T-Mo Plans question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Solomani, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

I'm just about ready to place an order my an iPhone 6S through the Apple Online website. I prefer to get the "T-Mobile" version since I'm already a T-Mo customer and happy with the service.

However, I heard that T-Mo has just "upgraded" all its Simple Choice plans, effectively doubling the data allowance. When I look at the chart at the Apple Online Store…. uhhh… it still lists the non-doubled data plans. For the cheapest $50 plan, Apple says only 1GB data.

The T-Mobile website itself says that the cheapest $50 Simple Choice Plan gives you 2GB data. Umm….. is Apple wrong, or is Apple trying to sell me into an inferior/oudated plan?

See the image below (the screenshot was taken November 20)

apple t-mo plans.png

2. duaneu macrumors 6502a

Why are you looking at plans at all? If you're already a T-Moblie customer, just order a contract free phone and start using it.

3. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

He/she probably wants to make payments on the phone...

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

This is going to come up for me in a couple of years since I am on T-Mobile. And since it was brought up…

Can't you just place it on your current plan?

I mean should it not be as easy as buying from Apple, taking the SIM out of the old phone and putting it in the new and then calling T-Mobile to give them the new phone's IMEI?

Or is this not how it works at all?

T-Mobile customer for all of a month and a half, so I don't know.

5. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I am on T-Mobile prepaid, though it should work the same. I just put my SIM in whatever phone I want and the phone just works. No need to call T-Mobile. The account is tied directly to the SIM.

6. Solomani thread starter macrumors 68030

Solomani

My old phone is not on a standard "data plan" like Simple Choice. It's an old phone with a grandfathered T-Mobile Plan intended for older phones before iPhones/smartphones existed. I stuck to the plan because it's grandfathered and cheap as hell $30. I get voice, unlimited text, and something like 30MB. Yes, that's right 30 MEGABYTES data. Clearly the plan worked fine when I had the old flip-phone (and currently an old LG touch phone). :D

Now that I'm going to an iPhone, I will be forced to switch to a real Plan. So it's like I'm starting from scratch. Please welcome me to the 21st century!

7. duaneu macrumors 6502a

I see. Well, even if Apple is showing outdated plans, it should be very simple to change your plan any time just by logging onto your T-Mobile account.

8. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

That is exactly how it works. You don't even have to call T-Mobile and give them the IMEI of you don't want to.