Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Apple Store app for iOS devices was today updated to version 5.1, introducing improvements for the search feature.

The new version of the app features a redesigned look for the search section, with both search suggestions and support for voice-based searches. You can tap on the microphone icon located in the search bar to conduct a search using speech rather than text.

applestoreappsearch-800x646.jpg
Old search interface on left, new search interface on right​

Some of the new search suggestions include options like "Stores near me," "Cases compatible with this device," "Sessions near me," "iPhone upgrade information," and more. Aside from the new search interface, the app is otherwise unchanged and uses the same design.
What's New Search has been updated with an enhanced design. And it's now powered with speech recognition technology for better search results.
The Apple Store app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Store App for iOS Gains Voice Search

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
So if the keyboard was displayed in the App store search screen, the microphone wasn't there?
If it was, this is just making the voice input a little more obvious. :)

urtules

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
There’s Dictation button on the keyboard which works with any text input. What’s the purpose of this button?

Reactions: NapoleonIV

GaryMumford

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
UK
There’s Dictation button on the keyboard which works with any text input. What’s the purpose of this button?

it saves a millisecond in your life by launching dictation on one touch, rather than touching the input, then touching the dictation button. i recon this may actually save me about 2 milliseconds over a lifetime :D

atoqir

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2018
What the article actually said:

How I read it: "The App Store app can be downloaded from the App Store for free."

I was like o_O
And I was like ‘wow apple finally does stock app updates without downloadinf new OS builds

Sadly not...
[doublepost=1532716064][/doublepost]
What the article actually said:

How I read it: "The App Store app can be downloaded from the App Store for free."

I was like o_O
And I was like ‘wow apple finally does stock app updates without downloadinf new OS builds

Sadly not...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.