Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its Apple Store app for iOS to version 3.3, adding additional security and convenience features to the app. There's now a "Touch ID" option in the Account section of the app that allows users to enable Touch ID for viewing orders, accessing EasyPay receipts, and making reservations at an Apple Store.

Previously, these sections of the app required an Apple ID password to be input whenever they were accessed, but now the app will ask for Touch ID verification in lieu of a password when Touch ID is toggled on. Before the update, Touch ID usage was limited to Apple Pay for making purchases, but with the expanded Touch ID capabilities, accessing various sections of the app to get order information is much quicker.

applestoretouchid.jpg
Accessing features like EasyPay Receipts before update on left, after on right
Today's update also adds support for two-step verification within the Apple Store app.
What's New in Version 3.3
- Use Touch ID to view orders, access EasyPay receipts, and make reservations at an Apple Store.
- Support for two-step verification, giving you extra security for your Apple ID.
Apple's Apple Store app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Update 4:35 AM PT: The app is also now available in additional countries, including Czech Republic, Denmark, Singapore, Turkey and United Arab Emirates.

Article Link: Apple Store App for iOS Updated With Touch ID Support, Two-Step Verification

iPrabhu

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
This is how it should have been in the first place, when Touch ID was introduced. It is better late than never.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
yeah i am a bit perplexed that apple wouldnt have done this at the onset of the Touch ID APIs, to lead the way.

it's unfortunate for me because its been implemented after my Watch shipped, which had me checking the app dozens of times for no good reason. dah. tho it was needless anyway, the app pushes a notice when items ship, as it did today. ah well.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Account Settings (payment info and shipping address) still require old fashioned password login.

Dayv

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
But can they give us an option for it to use location services when the app is open, so I can use it to buy stuff in-store easily, but not run constantly in the background for the 362 days a year that I'm *not* going to an Apple store?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Touch ID is going to be so useful for when I check my June delivery Apple Watch order status three times per day!

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Verification via TouchID is a wonderful thing.

Apple should have had this ready for launch with iOS 7 and should have stopped selling apps that didn't incorporate TouchID within 6 months after TouchID launched.

Btw the Amex app has had this since shortly after TouchID hit the market. (Very few other apps, despite many updates over the last two years have seen fit to add in the TouchID feature.)

(I also sent a note via the delta air app asking them to incorporate TouchID and suggested the benchmark the Amex app. I would suggest for other app users to send similar feedback to the makers of the apps they use. )

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I didn't realize this wasn't already a feature. I'm a little surprised it took until a month before iOS 9's unveiling, but an improvement nonetheless.

guspasho

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2011
I assume the second step is to send a code to your phone via text message? Can two-step verification meaningfully provide any extra security for phone apps?

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Checking Apple watch order status 1000x per day just got so much easier

cldjr

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2015
Yogyakarta (Indonesia)
Apple Care Indonesia

I got mad. i just bought less then 2 month ago an iPhone 6+ before moving for my job to Indonesia, two weeks later Touch ID button was not working anymore. I contacted Apple Care because I couldn't find any Apple Care service for iPhone in Indonesia. Their answer was: I must go to Singapore to let my iPhone fixed !
It's totally crazy !

rman0726

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
I didn't realize this wasn't already a feature. I'm a little surprised it took until a month before iOS 9's unveiling, but an improvement nonetheless.

I was very aware when I was checking my Apple Watch status 50 times a day a couple weeks ago. :p

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
The OCD watch waiters can stop with the, "Awesome, now I don't have to check x times a day", responses. We get it. We thoroughly get it.

stan1028

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Will there be new Apple Retail Stores like Singapore and Malaysia since it's now available for us to select?

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Wish Barclays would hurry up and do this on their apps. Logging into my banking takes 10 seconds too long.

----------

The OCD watch waiters can stop with the, "Awesome, now I don't have to check x times a day", responses. We get it. We thoroughly get it.

Why would this update mean people won't have to check their order status as often? Unless I've missed some sort of joke?

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
I see it has been added to multiple new countries. What are the implications of that?
Save of course for the Apple Store now being available on-line through an iOS app.

----------

Will there be new Apple Retail Stores like Singapore and Malaysia since it's now available for us to select?

This would have to indeed be a massive brick and mortar Apple Store expansion - I doubt that.

I think it has more to do with Apple wanting to put purchasing tools under more people's fingertips, due to a broader Apple Watch rollout maybe?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.