Apple Store asking for Proof of ID

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BreakGuy, Sep 12, 2011.

1. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I bought a MacBook Pro off the Apple Store (NZ) site yesterday and today I received an email from Apple (IDPROOF@asia.apple.com) asking for a bank statement as proof of ID. Is this legit?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'd call the generic Apple number in Asia to check. Sounds kind of fishy to me.

3. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I've called the 0800-MY-APPLE number and spoke with an operator fairly quickly (props to Apple for that).

I told him I've received an email asking for proof of ID and was wondering if it was normal to receive these emails. I quoted the Sales number in the email and he was able to bring up my order. I told him that as I have used my debit card to pay for the MacBook, my card number doesn't show up on my bank statements. He put me on hold to check with the Payment Team and he got back to me saying that sending a copy of my Bank Statement with my name and address to the email address in the message should be sufficient.

I guess I take it as being a legitimate email... This is my first time I have purchased an item off the Apple Store before so it may just be a new security measure Apple have put in place, and all up my order total came to a little under $2500... and so it may only be sent out on orders over a certain figure also.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I suppose because you're using a debit card, apple takes certain precautions to ensure that the transaction wasn't from someone who stole your debit card.

5. Hallivand macrumors regular

Hallivand

This just sounds....very un-Apple like.

I'm calling fake.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I would say fake, but if you called Apple and they said it was real I wouldn't worry too much.

7. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

If he bought from the educational store then it does happen. I was asked to send ID to prove I was a student to get the discount.

8. Yujenisis macrumors 6502

The rates Debit fraud have been dramatically on the rise, so I'm putting my vote on the legit side of the argument. However, it is always a good idea to be careful with your personal information and to double-check.

Be especially careful with your debit card, as any money stolen is gone. Those cards give companies and individuals direct access to your money. Credit cards offer some kind of protection if fraud is reported.

9. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I haven't purchased through the education store, but I did purchase the MBP from the refurbished range..

10. mikeyangelo58 macrumors member

Probably a high amount of identify and credit card theft in Asia...

11. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

I've bought several items from the online Apple Store NZ, and haven't had this, though I note that you were paying by Debit rather that Credit card, perhaps that is the reason.

You did the right thing though, by calling rather than trusting that email.

12. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Checked my emails today and noticed one from IDPROOF@asia.apple.com saying the ID provided was successfully approved.

Following this email, I received a shipment notification and a tax receipt.

13. tuftywhite macrumors member

I had something similar in 2002 when I bought a G3 iBook in the UK.

I think I've bought everything else in a shop since then.

14. tanhm macrumors regular

tanhm

it is completely normal and I have received when I ordered my stuffs from apple store online. Apple only required your address which match with card holder name.