Apple Store Belkin Tempered Glass?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by bertie343, Sep 16, 2016.

1. bertie343 macrumors member

Are the Apple Stores able to apply tempered glass using their machines to IP7s yet? I noticed online there isn't any listed as being compatible with the 7, but I saw someone else mention they received a Belkin screen protector as compensation for their upgrade issues so I figured someone here may have already gone through the process.

2. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

Had one installed today on my 7Plus. The agent used that machine from Belkin. Worked pretty good.

3. TypeMRT macrumors 6502

Is it edge-to-edge or is there a gap to accommodate space for a case? Does bottom totally surround the Home button or is it cutout U-shape? Thanks.

4. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

It's not edge to edge; it's totally case compatible. Covers just the viewable screen area.

Home button is not surrounded. It's horse shoe shaped.

Supposedly it's an improvement over last years version with a redesigned earpiece and front camera cutout.

5. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Pug72

Love the fit on my 6S Plus but the edges are sharp, still the same on the 7?

6. DevinNj macrumors regular

I didn't realize that machine does the glass too. I thought it was just for the film protectors. Good to know!

7. msavic macrumors 6502

What's the Belkin glass like compared to Zagg Glass? Are they about the same or is one better than the other?

8. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

I know the Belkin one is thinner than the Zagg. Maybe someone that's used both can answer more clearly.

9. DevinNj macrumors regular

I've never used Belkin, but I have had the Zagg in a couple of phones and it was pretty durable. Never had any scratches or chips. Also the edges are curved so they have a good feel. I'm interested in what the Belkin is like too, it looks like Apple has some 7's in stock near me. I'm taking a trip in the morning.

10. ricktat macrumors 65816

Is this years "ultra" version better than last years Belkin?

I don't live near an Apple Store but was thinking about ordering the online version.

11. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

So far so good. I've only had it for a few days though on my 7 Plus. Too early to tell.

I know last years Belkin S/P was terrible. Scratched really easily and didn't do good with fingerprints.

12. jhearty99 macrumors 6502

jhearty99

This years version does seem to be better as far as scratching and fingerprints, but I cant stand how the glass doesnt at least extend to the edges of the actual screen.

13. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

I'll post a picture soon. It does seem to cover the viewable screen area. It's just not edge-to-edge.

14. jhearty99 macrumors 6502

jhearty99

Mine certainly does not and its been driving me crazy lol

15. lsh macrumors 6502

The edges for the newer Ultra are smooth on the 7+. I did hate that feel around the home button with the 6s+. It's most definitely smoother. I'm hoping it does scratch less as advertised too.

Mine was applied without the machine - I think the staff assumed they needed a new machine without thinking about it (she sort of had an ah ha look when I asked why not). But she did an awesome job, much to my relief.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 21, 2016 ---
    Do you have 7 or 7+? My 7+ does go to the edges. But you can see the edge when looking at an angle.

16. DevinNj macrumors regular

Glad it worked out for you. It's always one of those hold your breath, keep your fingers crossed and hope they get the screen protector on right situations.

17. jhearty99 macrumors 6502

jhearty99

I have the 7. I will post up some pics tonight

18. Alexrat1996 Suspended

I went Sunday they installed one for me

19. ricktat macrumors 65816

Yes..,please do

20. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

I also have it, but hate how it doesn't coverage the edge of the viewable screen. You can see light on the edges, driving me crazy so about to be returned.

21. cfairbank macrumors 6502

I have had the belkin invisglass protector on my iPhone 6s Plus installed by an apple tech in store. Haven't been very impressed with it. The fit is great however after a few months the film has worn in the middle and you constantly see a faded oval in the center of the screen that is about 3 inches. This is my second belkin invisiglass and the last one did the same.

22. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

For any of you that are still convinced that you need glass screen protectors on your iPhones, I have a challenge for you. Today, I proved to myself, beyond a doubt, that I have no need for glass, or any other types of screen protectors that are sold as useless money sucks. Today, at work, someone brought an iPhone 6 to us that had been dropped in salt water and therefore fried. Because the phone could not be wiped by software, we had to physically destroy the phone. Therefore, I decided to try something that I have never done before. I took one metal tool after another out of my bag and attempted to scratch the iPhone 6 glass. Screwdriver, pliers, sidecutters, etc, ALL failed to scratch the glass in any way no matter how hard I tried to do so. The tools simply slide off, leaving no marks whatsoever. Therefore, unless you are carrying some kind of tungsten-carbide bit or sandpaper in your pocket (I didn't have these in my tech toolkit), you simply are not going to scratch your iPhone glass.

So, try it yourself if you have an old, dead iPhone that you know is useless. You may just convince yourself to save some cash and skip the glass screen covers from now on.

23. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

Thats cool, but not really relevant as newer versions of gorilla glass are made to improve on breaking, but the trade off on breaking is a somewhat softer more scratch able glass. My 6 never scratched in a year, I scratched my 6S last year in a day.

24. ricktat macrumors 65816

Anyone have a picture of the 7 version installed?

Just curious what the machine version looks like for the 7.

25. gsingham macrumors 6502

[​IMG]host image But yes it doesn't completely cover the display screen even. The edges create a rainbow reflective colour that can be very irritating.