Apple store, Best Buy, or AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gooseboy, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Gooseboy macrumors newbie

If you were to buy your iphone today, which store would you buy it from and why? Which one is likelier to have newer phones?

2. madfresh macrumors regular

It honestly doesn't matter where you buy it from. You can still take it to the Apple store if there are problems with it. I'd go to whichever one is closer to me.

3. dual64bit macrumors 6502

Of course the Apple store will give you those apple vibes :)

4. davyreins macrumors 6502

I would personally feel more comfortable buying it from Apple or AT&T. That is probably unjustified, but I just like buying closer to the direct source and it seems that the people at AT&T and Apple might be able to help you better. Although, based on some horror stories I've read on here I'm not so sure that is true. You should be fine buying from any of them.

5. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Best Buy offers there Service Plan though, so if you want some protection that covers accidental damage i would go to Best Buy. It is $14.99 a month, but if you drop if or get it wet it might be worth it.

6. unixfool macrumors 6502a

I dropped mine last Friday. Luckily, I'd purchased their PSP and my accident was covered unconditionally. There was no way Apple would've covered it (or AT&T, for that matter).

Here's the post/pic of my mishap.

7. jalpert macrumors 6502

If you're going to go with a 3rd party accidental warranty, you'd be better off with squaretrade. ~$90 for 3 years, accidentals included, just look around for a 40% off code.

8. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

Oh wow, this is nice.
    I found a code for 50% off... So tempting!

However you have to register it on squaretrade within 30 days of purchase.

9. DigMe macrumors 6502

Yeah, thanks for the info. I just purchased.

Spencer - the 50% code does not work for iPhone once you try to process the checkout. I just tried several different codes before I found one that actually works when you check out. The only one I could find that works is a 30% code - FRIENDS30. Still...$76 for a 2 year warranty that covers spills and accidents is an excellent deal. There is a $50 deductible on accidents and spills so if that happens you would get $450 back on a 16GB phone instead of the full $500.

I checked resellerratings.com and Squaretrade has a 9.56 rating. It is REALLY hard to get that high of a rating with a service oriented business because there are usually people who get screwed by any given company and those people are usually the loudest about it.

10. unixfool macrumors 6502a

And how long does it take to get the new replacement phone into your hands? My iPhone is my main line of communication...I certainly can't wait more than a day or two for a replacement. Otherwise, Squaretrade seems solid to me.

11. DigMe macrumors 6502

They say a maximum of 5 days. Unless you are in business that relies on your cell phone then it's not a matter of "I can't" but "I won't" no? If you have an old phone you could always drop your SIM in there while you're waiting.

I wonder how long Apple takes if you have to send your phone in for battery replacement?

12. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Best Buy....

My credit card offers points for purchases and one of the items I can get is Best Buy gift cards. I cashed in my points for some gift cards and !viola! new iphone for buying the things I always buy.

Groceries at the store for a single man: $50 Dollars

Drinks at the bar: $100 Dollars

Brand new iphone for free with the points: Priceless

Money cant buy everything, but for everything else, there's MasterCard!

13. DigMe macrumors 6502

Is it really September 2008? Surely it must be 3 years earlier.