Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
TheBeagle said:
Must destroy christmas...

Just the store not the holiday right :confused:

Destroying Christmas would mean no excuse for buying a new computer. All our plans would be ruined! :D

burntfire

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2006
It will NOT be in the old Caban space

I heard from a lady friend of mine who works at Reitmans that Apple will be taking over thier space, as they will be moving into the new expansion as soon as it is completed.

Unfortunatly I don't have pictures of the space, but it is on the lower level, near the Williams-Sonoma. I don't think it has street access, but I'm not sure because I have never been in that particular store.

As of writing this message, it would seem that Apple has taken down job listings for Calgary from their site (again). From what I understand, Reitmans has to be out of the store in less than 3 months, so we can expect the Apple store to open in the spring.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Wow i wish i knew about this sooner! I am in calgary. So next time I am in chinook i will have a look at the place. I also think Calgary is a great place for this. It is a very rich city. The housing market is ISANE! We just stopped climbing in the housing market the average house is something like $400,000 and that is not any 2 floor house..........

EDIT: http://www.jimsparrow.com/market-stats.php average sale price anywhere from $300,000 in the low end corner of town too $491,000

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
I heard from a lady friend of mine who works at Reitmans that Apple will be taking over thier space, as they will be moving into the new expansion as soon as it is completed.

Unfortunatly I don't have pictures of the space, but it is on the lower level, near the Williams-Sonoma. I don't think it has street access, but I'm not sure because I have never been in that particular store.

As of writing this message, it would seem that Apple has taken down job listings for Calgary from their site (again). From what I understand, Reitmans has to be out of the store in less than 3 months, so we can expect the Apple store to open in the spring.

Would you expect the store to be a flagship type or just regular?

bush79

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2006
The current Reitman's space is PERFECT for Apple.

-3,651 square feet
-33'-0" wide mall frontage
-Deep, rectangular layout
-Directly adjacent to Williams-Sonoma
-Extra tall storefront with maximum exposure

Some pics of the space as it exists, and the mall lease plan.

Awesome news. Thanks for the tidbit, Burntfire.

Attachments

• reitmans.gif
    reitmans.gif
    21.1 KB · Views: 2,152
  • APPLE1.jpg
    APPLE1.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 160

bbergie

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2006
Calgary
Any word on an opening date––best guess on season? It seems to me that we've been hearing about this for a long time, and yet there is little to no progress... or am I wrong?

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Just a little? how about a lot! And you have to live in a popular canadian city
that has a huge population for you to like a mac or be a mac user for that matter? gawd. where are you from exactly? :rolleyes:

why don't you ask the apple people why they chose calgary (umm.. probably the same reason why williams-sonoma and pottery barn--to name a few-- chose calgary to be their flagship store in alberta). oh and i suggest next time.. think before you type and save yourself a lot embarassment! :eek:

Umm, thanks for defending Calgary. But no need to get all worked up :)

bush79

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2006
Its all but announced that Apple is opening spring/summer in the current Reitman's space. Reitman's is moving into the vacant 2nd floor unit by the Bay. Lets get that construction wall up boys.

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
Spring or summer.. excellent. Hopefully during summer break so I don't have to skip school for the opening. :cool:

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
First off I just phoned chinook mall. http://southcentre.shopping.ca/cambridge/jsp5/cu_cu.jsp?mallid=sou the public relations manager. And they do not know who is going into Reitman's. She said she would say if she knew where apple is moving into. They currently have NOT decided on a place according to this public relations manager. But she says they are still in talks with apple but have not signed a contract.

Now you have to remember I don't know how much she would tell if she even knew...but it sounded like its safe to say it is not confirmed its going into Reitman's.

Rivix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2005
Wow great news! Its too bad i live in the NW and dont ever shop at Chinnok.

But they need a store downtown! Downtown Calgary has the most square feet of office space in Canada. I would hope they build a store in the Encana tower when it opens in the next few years. Thats one cool building, with lots of new retail space comming as well.

post-92-1160831341_thumb.jpg

Apple Downtown Calgary store. Opening 2010 please.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003

But they need a store downtown! Downtown Calgary has the most square feet of office space in Canada. I would hope they build a store in the Encana tower when it opens in the next few years. Thats one cool building, with lots of new retail space comming as well.

Yeah my dad is looking forward to moving into it.(the encana building)

bush79

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2006
First off I just phoned chinook mall. http://southcentre.shopping.ca/cambridge/jsp5/cu_cu.jsp?mallid=sou the public relations manager. QUOTE]

That link is for Southcentre Mall, not Chinook Centre. In any case Chinook wouldn't be able to confirm at this point, that is up to Apple, not the mall management. They won't acknowledge its occuring until the logos are up on the hoarding. Time will tell. As for not knowing who is going into the Reitman's space, that's a joke...Reitman's is being FORCED to move to a secondary location with low visibility and traffic...because Chinook wants to put that high profile space to use for high volume retail.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

post-92-1160831341_thumb.jpg

I've been to Calgary - what a wonderful city...

galstaph

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2002
The Great White North Eh
I sure hope they get to work soon on this... It'll give me a reason to go up to Chinook for something, plus it would be nice to have a real apple people presence to talk to here rather than our two resellers:)

I hope construction won't take too long:apple:

BTW with the 800M$ expansion (IIRC) that Chinook is planning, Apple will be perfectly set up if it makes it's move now.... (Maybe they will eventually open up into an even larger custom space...)

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
I've already posted this in another thread, but I'll post it here as well.
I've been looking forward to Apple's new store in Calgary's Chinook Center for a while now in anticipation of a spring opening, but I was shocked to see that all job positions for the location have been pulled from Apple's web site. There is nothing on monster.com as well. Does anyone know if there is trouble with this store opening? I thought the location in the mall had been identified, and if that is true and anyone can take a look to see what's happening and post it I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.