Apple store capability? Porting ect.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacintoshJosh3, Jun 11, 2010.

1. MacintoshJosh3 macrumors regular

So I am considering porting my number from Sprint for the new iPhone. My question is if I decide to campout at the Apple store(easton) can Apple handle all of my account creation/ porting of my number right in the store? Also would they be able to apply my employee discount to my contract or would I have to go into ATT for that? Thanks in advance.

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Yes except for the employee discount. That you do on your own via the website.

https://www.wireless.att.com/business/authenticate/

3. MacintoshJosh3 thread starter macrumors regular

So I should not have any reservations walking into an Apple store (rather waiting in line outside) as a Sprint customer on the 24th and walking out with an activated iPhone 4? Thanks for the quick answer!

4. MacintoshJosh3 thread starter macrumors regular

5. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Yea, don't port your number right away, you have 30 days to port at no charge. Since you are new to AT&T, why not try out the service before you switch from Sprint. Also, will you have to pay an ETF at Sprint when your number ports out?

You can get a new number from AT&T with activation, if you like the service you just call the porting center to complete the port.

Have you check to see if you can port your current number?

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/transfer-your-number/

Dave

6. MacintoshJosh3 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I have checked and my number is eligible for porting. I appreciate the suggestion but I am familiar with ATT service in my area and so not want to deal with a temporary number I'm simply worried about having waited in line all morning at the Apple store and then being turned away because they can't do the port/ new account activation.

7. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Yes, they can complete all of the pre porting steps, iPhone 4 activation and you should be able to make outgoing calls before you walk out the door. Inbound calls will be delayed so keep your Sprint phone on until the porting center completes the port.

Other tips: Make sure to bring your Spring account number and have the password or PIN. Also, do a Reserve on Apple.com and get a confirmation number.

Just a quick note: You can even pre-order for home delivery while porting your number from Sprint. You don't have to wait in line, unless that just works better for your situation.

Dvae

8. MacintoshJosh3 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Dave for all the help. I actually am excited to camp out just for the experience. Having seen every year all the pictures of the long lines and people waiting it looks like it would be a fun time. Well I will plan on taking all my Sprint account info with me to the Apple store on the 24th and hope everything goes smooth. I'm happy to hear Apple OS equipped to handle new accounts as well. Oh and my reason for camping at apple instead of ATT? I want a bumper. :)