Apple store cooling off period question.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Caris, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

Hey everyone, I've just spoke to someone on the Apple store chat and they said if I buy a Mac, open it, decide I don't like it and send it back within 14 days I will be charged a 10% open box fee. Can anyone confirm this? I thought you got a full refund as I returned a 21.5" iMac last year and had no problems.

I don't know if the person I spoke too was talking rubbish or if it's a new policy.

Thanks.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

That is the standard policy
    Exceptions can be made for reasons

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

the return charge is listed right on the receipt.

4. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Don't know about sending products back, but about a year ago, I returned a 30" Cinema Display at the Apple Store in Regent Street, London within 14 days and they didn't ask why.

Also, I am going to return my iMac (which is already a replacement for the one before.. they both had the yellow tint issue) this coming week. I love Apple design and their software solutions and interfaces, but I feel quite let down when it comes to their quality control. So far, nearly all the products I bought from Apple had some kind of issue (at least initially).. and those were all related to quality control.. (first batches / first revisions).

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

That's the reason I like buying macs from Bestbuy or other big box stores. No restocking fee if the screen has stuck pixels, squeeky keys, or any other problems that technically aren't "that bad".

6. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Or go refurb - hard to beat that second trip through "quality" control :p

7. Buzz Bumble Guest

Wow, your screen has squeeky keys?!?! That's really bad quality control - a screen shouldn't even have keys. ;)

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The iPad screen does, so does the iPhone

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Buy online instead of instore. Then the standard UK distance selling regulations apply and you can return it within 14 days without issue. If they try and charge you quote the law to them. This might help