Apple Store doesn't allow camping

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KieranDotW, Sep 17, 2014.

1. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

Anyone run into this situation where their local store doesn't allow people to show up until 6AM (or whenever that particular store allows)? How does that work? Is it just a mad dash at 6AM, or do people end up waiting at the closest place they can without getting frisked by security?

Asking because I don't know if it's smarter to try for said store (Emeryville) or one which does allow camping (Berkeley). I'm willing to wait all night if need be.

2. normanfox macrumors 6502a

i called Apple store and they said that the Mall won't open until 5AM. due to security, they won't allow waiting line until 5AM.

3. mookgiants macrumors member

if you're willing to wait all night, then go to one that you can camp out

4. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

That just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.. I imagine people WILL form a line anyways somewhere, but really someone can just run up around 6am and be first (which is fair I suppose), but people will still feel entitled to make them get behind them.

5. TaylorB macrumors regular

This happened at a store I went to in Oklahoma for the 4 release. It was quite a disaster, a lot of angry people. The mall wouldn't let you on the property so you had cars flying to the entrance on top of people running. Would not do that again.

6. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

My local store is that way when I was going to camp out for my iPhone 5. It hasn't changed since thanks to mall security. You aren't allowed to live up till 4AM the day of launch.

7. uchosen macrumors 6502

As long as you don't use the rail gun, I'm OK with camping.

8. Lasereyes macrumors member

Was it really mad dash? As in, doors open and people bum rush?

9. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

They told me a similar story last year. I showed up an hour before there was supposed to be a line forming and it was already 150 strong.

10. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I don't know I ended up just getting in store pickup the following month when my upgrade was due.

11. Starfyre macrumors 68020

Starfyre

Which mall is this?

12. mrpapageorgio macrumors newbie

I went to the Oakbrook Mall (Chicago area) when the 4 was coming out the night before to stake out the place around midnight. Those familar know it's an open area mall where the store fronts are outside. Mall security guard saw me and asked if I was trying to get to Apple. He was friendly, but told me they weren't allowing people to wait in line until at least 5AM and they were having a guard by the store itself to enforce it and was having a car driving around the parking lots to make sure people weren't camping in their cars.

Since then, I just decided to do the online pre-order route and wait. I lucked out when the 5 came out as I was in the area the day it came out and my brother offered to pay me if I could get him the 5 that day. There was 4 people in line around 1PM and his preferred version was still in stock, when I left around 4, there was probably over 75 people in line with the employee telling me it was over 300 when doors opened.

So I'm guessing if it's not allowed, it's probably a mall policy than a store one.

13. comptr macrumors 65816

I must be lucky then I went to my apple store where I plan on camping out and they told me their are no restrcitions and that they already had 2 people came this morning to came to camp out and according to them we can stay in the call till they close then we must line up outside and wait till the mall opens at 5:30 then we line up again till they come out.

14. Starfyre macrumors 68020

Starfyre

Which Mall is this?

15. MacBOS macrumors 6502

MacBOS

Ha... gamer quote!

16. BMW535i macrumors member

I drove by the :apple:Store on Michigan Ave. in Chicago around an hour ago and people were already camped out in line.

I hate to say this but I think camping out in line for two nights is absolutely ridiculous as my pre-ordered iPhone 6 will be delivered on Friday anyway. Why not just pre-order and not look like a vagrant? :eek:

17. Starfyre macrumors 68020

Starfyre

Some people probably think in order to ensure they get the device they want, they need to be able to stand in line as long as the battery life of the device they want. In this case, 2+ days if they are going for the plus. Just a theory.

18. comptr macrumors 65816

its in arizona chandler fashion mall but i assume its the same at the apple store at Scottsdale location.

19. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Lines will form at the closest place possible. Unfortunately, that means there will be groups and a mad dash when they begin allowing the line to officially form.

20. Lasereyes macrumors member

Does that actually happen? The local mall doesn't let anyone near the premises till 4AM. I'm worried the "line" will just be people huddled around a door for four hours and then running to the Apple Store at 8.

21. AceMason macrumors regular

This happened at my Apple store ugh

22. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

And that's probably what it will be.

23. ACoD360 macrumors newbie

My apple store opened the mall at 12 am for iPhone 5 launch but last year we were stuck outside until 5:30. Luckily, apple already set up barriers in the mall.

24. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

The one with the glass staircase? Sick store. Between walking up that glass staircase and standing in the Willis Tower cubes, I have a new found appreciation for the strength of glass.

The reason I think is because it's a storefront bordered by a public sidewalk and security guards can't tell you not to "use" the sidewalk. This is the type of store you guys should look for.

25. BMW535i macrumors member

LOL, I think the Michigan Ave. store has a glass staircase, but I have never been inside. I live in Lakeview so I usually hit up :apple:'s Lincoln Park store.