Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Certainly they do, but the bulk they buy for their initial production request does not provide the raw material for the next 8+ months of product.
I'm just saying that they can commit to a price for months out without having take physical delivery of 100% the component up-front.

I'd be very surprised if they "renegotiate" component rates towards the end of a products lifecycle. It's not they're ordering parts a few cases at a time from Newegg.

stodge

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2010
The Canadian store is back up but I don't see any MBP changes. At least nothing obvious.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Is that all?

What a joke, just before MacWorld or whatever that event is called...

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-02-09 at 15.58.18.png
    Screen shot 2010-02-09 at 15.58.18.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,743

Dwanep

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2009
Nebraska
That was it? no new upgrades or equipment? The store is back up and I do not see anything different in the hardware, am I am I missing something?

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
That was it? no new upgrades or equipment? The store is back up and I do not see anything different in the hardware, am I am I missing something?

LoL...and Apple sits back and laughs at some being worked up to a frenzy...SMH!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
What a joke, just before MacWorld or whatever that event is called...

What does MacWorld have to do with this? Apple does not participate on MW. It would be pretty ****ed up for Apple to release new machines today and try and steal any thunder from MW.

jlblodgett

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
Okay I know I'm going to get flamed for this but... so what? Seriously, how many people, even on this site, are REALLY going to notice the difference day-to-day between the processors of 9 months ago and today? I, for example, am currently running a 3 year old 17" MBP and while I do want a new machine it's for reliability reasons rather than speed. I've never, not once in three years, thought 'I wish this machine was faster'.

Sure, pro's who use their machines heavily day in, day out may notice the difference between a high end Core 2 Duo and a i5 or i7 but the VAST majority of buyers just won't care. And there's a lot to be said for keeping hardware stable for extended periods of time too: there should be fewer unforseen issues and more time to correct production issues if / when they occur. It's easier to narrow down any problems that occur in OS X when you've got a more limited range of hardware to support. And of course it makes it easier for people to plan their purchases if they DO care about hardware as Apple are fairly easy to predict compared to other PC makers out there.

Basically, for the average user, providing the hardware is quick enough not to be a noticeable drag the exact specs are irrelevant. This didn't used to be the case but there hasn't been an explosion in computing power for years now and even if there were the vast majority of tasks run on todays computers wouldn't need that boost anyway. So why do people get so upset about this? If you know enough to care then you can certainly find out when upgrades are likely and not make any purchase in that time frame. Simple.

I don't have any problem with it, other than a trivial frustration.

I own a 2 year old white MacBook which has been serving me great. I would very much like to buy a MacBook Air - but I simply will not in it's current form. It is frustrating for me because it seems to me (I am not a computer engineer, by any stretch) that Apple could very easily update their computers to be "current" or at least attempt to.

Is there a legitimate reason why Apple has kept the MBA with 2 GB of RAM? Is there a legitimate reason why Apple has kept the MBA with the outdated trackpad? These "innovations" alone I would consider an "upgrade" and purchase immediately.

Apple is a business, they do what they do to make money. I have always maintained that apple makes a lot more money based on their operating system and their "style" than they do on their hardware. Let's face it, there's nothing in any current apple computer that can't be found better by another manufacturer. But only one manufacturer has the Mac OS.

So, I will wait and see what comes in the next few weeks.

iKay

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2010
Scotland, United Kingdom
I don't see why Apple's store doesn't work like most other stores on the net. Add a product, enable it when you want it to show. The fact they have to take it down worldwide to add a piece of software makes no sense to me.

And I do work with servers, websites and shops!

St.Jimmy!

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2009
I don't see why Apple's store doesn't work like most other stores on the net. Add a product, enable it when you want it to show. The fact they have to take it down worldwide to add a piece of software makes no sense to me.

I also work on server maintenance (including e-commerce) and I think there can only be one possible reason for why they might have done that:

Create expectation

I mean, if they were even preparing their site for the greatest and most amazing product launch in history, they could still work offline or in a test server. There would be no reason in any case for them to bring it down for more than 2 hours... I'd understand maybe 10-15 minutes to copy new stuff and check it's all working flawlessly, but I really don't know what they're up to.

Apple cmon I need a laptop. Now.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Marketing, Marketing, Marketing! We have 20 pages of discussion on the store being down. It's all about the publicity and hype.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Okay I know I'm going to get flamed for this but... so what? Seriously, how many people, even on this site, are REALLY going to notice the difference day-to-day between the processors of 9 months ago and today? I, for example, am currently running a 3 year old 17" MBP and while I do want a new machine it's for reliability reasons rather than speed. I've never, not once in three years, thought 'I wish this machine was faster'.

Sure, pro's who use their machines heavily day in, day out may notice the difference between a high end Core 2 Duo and a i5 or i7 but the VAST majority of buyers just won't care. And there's a lot to be said for keeping hardware stable for extended periods of time too: there should be fewer unforseen issues and more time to correct production issues if / when they occur. It's easier to narrow down any problems that occur in OS X when you've got a more limited range of hardware to support. And of course it makes it easier for people to plan their purchases if they DO care about hardware as Apple are fairly easy to predict compared to other PC makers out there.

Basically, for the average user, providing the hardware is quick enough not to be a noticeable drag the exact specs are irrelevant. This didn't used to be the case but there hasn't been an explosion in computing power for years now and even if there were the vast majority of tasks run on todays computers wouldn't need that boost anyway. So why do people get so upset about this? If you know enough to care then you can certainly find out when upgrades are likely and not make any purchase in that time frame. Simple.

are you willing to pay new prices for a 2 year old car? it will still drive the same.

no one in their right mind should pay top dollar for a supposedly "premium" computer that has old parts in there. Apple is probably getting a nice discount on them at this point and should pass the savings along like dell and HP are always cutting prices

manhattanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
**** this. I'm getting a PC with Hackintosh.

Amen to that!!!

There is no excuse now that other companies have shipping products using the new technology.

I mean seriously. This is my last year for Apple.
I'm swapping to touch screen Chrome OS in the fall.

Marketing, Marketing, Marketing! We have 20 pages of discussion on the store being down. It's all about the publicity and hype.

Technically what we have is 20 pages of angry users who are sick and tired of not being able to get what they want when they know that it can easily be done. :p

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
**** this. I'm getting a PC with Hackintosh.
lol it cracks me u to see so many people complaining about this. The even funnier part is:
  • You won't build one
  • if Apple did come out with new hardware, people would yet complain about that:rolleyes:
Really, do peoples lives revolve around this? Update or not, I still get up and go to work in the morning and enjoy life. Life goes on, enjoy it!! :D
I love seeing "F*** Apple" , "Apple is evil", and many others on this thread.

PC with hackintosh sucks compared to a real mac. Plus you're breaking the law.

Good fun to play with, but it will just leave you longing for a real Mac.

People done it with great luck and I doubt it Apple will go after these people unless they sell them like Psystar did.
Like you never went over the speed limit, jaywalked, or anything else :rolleyes:

manhattanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
lol it cracks me u to see so many people complaining about this.
Really, do peoples lives revolve around this? Update or not, I still get up and go to work in the morning and enjoy life. Life goes on, enjoy it!! :D

I'd like to see your face when you wake up one morning only to find all of the CTA temporarily shut down. The reason? To install a new light bulb on one of their trains.

That is basically what Apple did this morning.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I'd like to see your face when you wake up one morning only to find all of the CTA temporarily shut down. The reason? To install a new light bulb on one of their trains.

That is basically what Apple did this morning.

wow that's a bad comparison. People lives rely on the CTA for work, going home, shopping, to live, and to keep the city of Chicago moving. People can still get to work and live life normally, and a city isn't going to stop because the Apple Store shut down. :rolleyes:
You're comparing a life line to a city to an on-line store.
On a side note: I can see the CTA shutting down a train line to change a light bulb :p

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
lololol.. the haters aint' gonna leave the Apple ship. They gripe and
gripe about Apple releasing products the way they do, then they are
some of the first people to the Apple site and store.
LOL!
/Points finger at haters.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
are you willing to pay new prices for a 2 year old car? it will still drive the same.

no one in their right mind should pay top dollar for a supposedly "premium" computer that has old parts in there. Apple is probably getting a nice discount on them at this point and should pass the savings along like dell and HP are always cutting prices

Umm, what do you think car manufacturers do all the time? They build a car, a process that takes several years to complete, and then put it on sale. That car has a life cycle of at LEAST two years before any cosmetic updates get applied, probably four years to a slight refresh if it needs it and more like six to eight before the new model comes along. All through this time other maufacturers are launching cars with newer, more advanced parts but the original car doesn't somehow magically update to a new design.

Dell and HP certainly are NOT 'always cutting prices', we recently had to spec up a Dell laptop that was at the end of its life and actually listed for more than its replacement for lesser hardware (customer insisted though because they prefered that design). The whole 'Apple should discount the prices GOD DAMN IT!!!!' argument is also BS - Apple will factor in reduced costs when they set the price for a model over its lifespan based on their targeted profit margains so a particular model will AVERAGE that % over its life.

Look, this is real simple folks, Apple are not always at the cutting edge of technology in terms of raw specs, no company could be without changing models every couple of months which is just ridiculous or offering stupidly complex build-to-order options. That's not the sort of company Apple is. If you don't like it then DON'T BUY FROM THEM! How hard is that to understand? You live in an age when there's a flood of information on part availability, likely product refresh cycles and rumors of everything from stock levels at best buy to mysterious boxes arriving in Apple stores. You have, in short, more information than we've ever had before on which to base not only your decision on what to purchase but WHEN to purchase it. However do try and remember that not everyone has a geekgasm over the latest silicon and values other things such as design at a premium. In that case having the latest and greatest equipment is a secondary consideration anyway.

Me, I'm buying a MBP this week because I've got money in a work budget for my next laptop and it has to be spent this week. If they replace it next week I may makes some enquiries with my local Apple store about swapping it out but I really don't care. In real use I will be more than happy with the machine I'm buying and it is currently required for my work in a couple of weeks time. If it was coming directly out of my bank account and the work requirement didn't exist I'd probably hold on just to maximise my investment but I wouldn't be throwing a hissy fit in a forum under the delusion that Apple owed me something.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Amen to that!!!

There is no excuse now that other companies have shipping products using the new technology.

I mean seriously. This is my last year for Apple.
I'm swapping to touch screen Chrome OS in the fall.
Umm, except of course that:

a) Apple DON'T USE WINDOWS!!! That means that ANY new hardware needs drivers building for it and testing performed from companies who are prioritising the Windows versions (or by Apple themselves who have limited resources). Of course it's going to take longer, all things being equal, for Apple to get new hardware out. Then there's any potential issues with thermal design as Apple already push that pretty hard.

b) In this case Apple have to overcome the issue of the core i3/5/7 integrated GPU which simply doesn't work with some of their operating system features. If, as was rumoured, they're getting custom silicon without that GPU that'd explain the longer lead time.

c) Apple would be introducing these processors across the bulk of their laptop range. Have a look at the Dell website and see what % of their laptops carry core i3/5/7 processors at the moment... it ain't huge.

There's other reasons as well but that's just off the top of my head. Come on folks, apply a little common sense, put the toys back in the pram and stop acting like Apple stole your date to the prom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.