Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattAKramer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
It should be $300 more instead of $400 for the 15" base cMBP.

I suppose B&H lowers it's margin and makes up for it in volume :)

I figured if I do it I should get the high res version which adds anther hundred bucks.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
True, any of these should be way better than what we are used to. I was excited that I was offered the 1499 cMBP as a free replacement and now I'm here. I wonder if I should just get that and call it a day. If it wasn't for the crap screen I might do that. Which leads me to the air and then I thin why not just spend another 200 above that and get the 15. Ugh.

You are overthinking this. Whatever you wind up with, it's a windfall. Just remember that. :)

My advice is to "sleep on it." It actually does work. Just think about it, get some rest, and call Apple tomorrow with your decision. Whatever you wind up with, don't look back. You brought in a 2007 MacBook for a simple repair expecting to walk out with it, and instead you'll get something brand new. :apple:

Also, since this primarily for your wife, make sure she's OK with it. If she has a preference, go with that. If she trusts your judgment, just go with what you think is best.

Last edited:

MattAKramer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Any other thoughts? Stick with free swap that can be upgraded later (minus the screen) the bumped up air, or base 15?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Any other thoughts? Stick with free swap that can be upgraded later (minus the screen) the bumped up air, or base 15?

Notwithstanding my previous advice, if you are the type who will keep a notebook for as long as possible, then the base 15" will be the most likely to still be in use in 5.5 years by virtue of the quad core processor and expandability.

If you are looking at the free notebook as gravy and plan to buy something new in 2-3 years (or whenever you were planning on replacing the 2007), then I'd go with the Air. It's very portable and should still serve your needs well.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I figured if I do it I should get the high res version which adds anther hundred bucks.

Oh yeah, duh @ myself lol..

KPOM is correct... sleep on it and discuss with the wifey too.. Then, go and play with that model for a while at the store.

I still stand by my recommendation in favor of the 15" base with or w/o HR.

MattAKramer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Notwithstanding my previous advice, if you are the type who will keep a notebook for as long as possible, then the base 15" will be the most likely to still be in use in 5.5 years by virtue of the quad core processor and expandability.

If you are looking at the free notebook as gravy and plan to buy something new in 2-3 years (or whenever you were planning on replacing the 2007), then I'd go with the Air. It's very portable and should still serve your needs well.

I just spoke with my wife and I think we are going to do the 15" high resolution. The ability to upgrade later seems nice, then quad core processor and dedicated graphics seem like it makes the most sense if i don't plan on replacing anytime soon. the larger screen will be better for her, and although I've read the antiglare makes the colors not pop as much, I think it will be better for her at school and hopefully less glare will help reduce eye strain (she gets bad migraines). Does the high res antiglare make sense?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I just spoke with my wife and I think we are going to do the 15" high resolution. The ability to upgrade later seems nice, then quad core processor and dedicated graphics seem like it makes the most sense if i don't plan on replacing anytime soon. the larger screen will be better for her, and although I've read the antiglare makes the colors not pop as much, I think it will be better for her at school and hopefully less glare will help reduce eye strain (she gets bad migraines). Does the high res antiglare make sense?

The hi-res antiglare is a nice screen. If you don't mind the heft of the 15" cMBP and are looking at maximum power for your dollar (or actually Apple's dollar), then it sounds like you have made your choice.

Of course, for $100 more than that hi-res 15" cMBP you can get the 13" rMBP with 256GB and 8GB. It won't be as upgradable and will have half the processor cores. (Of course you knew I'd make one last pitch for the rMBP). :)

MattAKramer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
The hi-res antiglare is a nice screen. If you don't mind the heft of the 15" cMBP and are looking at maximum power for your dollar (or actually Apple's dollar), then it sounds like you have made your choice.

Shouldn't be any heavier than my 07 MacBook right? I think that's what people were saying earlier in this thread.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Get a refurbished rMBP. You are very lucky!

I think he's limited to whatever that Apple Store has in stock. Otherwise, that would be a great option.

----------

Shouldn't be any heavier than my 07 MacBook right? I think that's what people were saying earlier in this thread.

The 15" cMBP weighs 5.6 lbs compared to the 5 lbs that your 2007 weighs.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
HR + AG works for some, others prefer the HR + Glossy.

I like the Anti-Glare personally, but it looks a bit washed out compared to Glossy which reflects light like crazy ... Not helping there am I !! :eek:

Get the AG and if you [ or she ] don't like it, exchange for the glossy version. I'm sure you'll have a 14 day exchange window!!

MattAKramer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
I think he's limited to whatever that Apple Store has in stock. Otherwise, that would be a great option.

----------

The 15" cMBP weighs 5.6 lbs compared to the 5 lbs that your 2007 weighs.

Close enough!

I'm going into it hoping to get high res 15" and hoping they will allow me to apply a student or employee discount. They also charged me for the repair on the broken machine so I'm going to see if I can apply that. Probably unlikely but ill see how it goes tomorrow!

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
One more thing, every Apple Store that I've been to, if you want a 15" cMBP with a Hi-Res display, chances are the only one they will have in stock is the Hi-Res Anti-Glare config, which also has the bumped up CPU over the base 15", and (if I remember right) 8GB RAM. So, it won't be just $100 more for the Hi-Res display that you will have to pay for.

If you only want the base 15" with just the Hi-Res upgrade, then that's considered a build-to-order config, and you won't be able to walk out with it tomorrow.

Just something to consider. I'm not sure, but the manager is probably only going to let you decide between systems that they can sell in the store, which won't include BTO configurations.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
After a lot of reading here, taking all you have said into account i would say go with a cMBP 15" base line HD screen.
I had a 2010 model until it were destroyed by coffee. A nice machine.

Depending on how good you are with a screwdriver and how much you need the optic bay, maybe take it out and put in a SSD for system.
This way you get the speed of a SSD, the space of a HHD, and save a little in weigh. For the optic bay i have heard that there should be enclosures, so you can connect it with the mac over USB.
This is an option and all the help you need can be found on these forums.

The 15" is in my mind the best for you.
But as others have said before, no matter what you pick, it will be an upgrade:D

MattAKramer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
So what did you go with?

I'm shocked how this went down. I got to the store and the girl my wife worked with the day before was on lunch so we talked to someone else. He said, like someone in this thread said, the model I was looking for was a custom order and we couldn't do that. The only anti glare model they had was 2649 and I didn't want to pay that much. So the I looked at the air model I was looking at online and it was also a custom order only.

So we were thinking we were going to get the base 15 cMBP without the antiglare when the girl for yesterday came in. She said she would check to see if they could do a custom after all. Turns out they couldn't, but instead she offered to give me the 2649 15" cMBP at the 1799 price and I only had to pay the 300 dollar difference. I can't believe they let me do this. She also only made me pay the difference between 1799 and 1499 vs 1899 (price of antiglare I came in for). After my employee discount I paid 309 with tax. Add the 50 bucks I paid for the repair on the busted machine and I basically got the computer for 350 bucks.

They are migrating my data right now and I'll have it tomorrow. I'm floored they did this. Seemed to good to be true but it did! I'm ecstatic. Fantastic customer service. Turns out the tech who dropped it has been at that store for 11 years and used to be the store manager which I really think helped the entire situation. I'll buy apple care before the year is up.

Edit: this is the 2.7 cMBP 15" with high res anti glare and 1tb HDD. My old Mac was a 2.2 core 2 duo from 07.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I'm shocked how this went down. ...
So we were thinking we were going to get the base 15 cMBP without the antiglare when the girl for yesterday came in. She said she would check to see if they could do a custom after all. Turns out they couldn't, but instead she offered to give me the 2649 15" cMBP at the 1799 price and I only had to pay the 300 dollar difference. I can't believe they let me do this. She also only made me pay the difference between 1799 and 1499 vs 1899 (price of antiglare I came in for). After my employee discount I paid 309 with tax. Add the 50 bucks I paid for the repair on the busted machine and I basically got the computer for 350 bucks.

Edit: this is the 2.7 cMBP 15" with high res anti glare and 1tb HDD. My old Mac was a 2.2 core 2 duo from 07.

Wow! They really did come through for you. So not only did they give you a $1499 credit on a 5.5 year old MacBook, but they also sold you $2649 notebook for $1799.

Maybe you should have gotten the rMBP after all. :D j/k Enjoy the 15" Hi Res.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Congratulations on you new machine.
Really happy it turned out this way for you.

are you sure you will end op letting you wife use this new beast and not take it for your self? ;)

MattAKramer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Congratulations on you new machine.
Really happy it turned out this way for you.

are you sure you will end op letting you wife use this new beast and not take it for your self? ;)

I'll use it too, but I've found myself really only using the old one for things that require flash or loading local songs into spotify to sync to my ipad and iPhone. I'm sure I will have more interest in this one than the old since it will run mountain lion and that will be new to me, but I bet I'll still use the ipad 9 times out of 10 over the Mac. It is a pretty awesome machine though!!!

----------

Wow! They really did come through for you. So not only did they give you a $1499 credit on a 5.5 year old MacBook, but they also sold you $2649 notebook for $1799.

Maybe you should have gotten the rMBP after all. :D j/k Enjoy the 15" Hi Res.

I figured I would get some comments about the rMBP after this story :). Honestly think they wouldn't have done it since they only did this because I wanted the anti glare. Plus my wife really wanted the anti glare since she uses it a lot and gets migraines often. Hoping this will help relieve strain.

The screen in this is nice enough and while it would be nicer to have a thinner body, this is still about the same weight as our old one and I can upgrade to an ssd later or upgrade ram which will be nice.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Wow!!! That's incredible.... I have a similar story, and got the ultimate Retina for under $2k... but I digress..

Many congrats and enjoy that beast, the both of you!!! :D:apple:

wpooh

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2013
Air and thermal design

Airs are notoriously thermally underdesigned. Even the latest ones, I've tried every generation of them as they came out. I would not use them for any "editing" other than text editing. Audio/video/photo editing on Airs is IMHO out of the question. They get unbearably hot, especially when used outside.

When you have a laptop that's correctly thermally designed, you should be able to use it on naked legs in a 72F room (w/o sunlight exposure) for indefinitely long period of time, at full CPU load. The other unibody machines are there, Airs aren't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.