Apple Store Employee on Leave in Santa Monica Contracts COVID-19

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An Apple Store employee from the Third St. Promenade store located in Santa Monica, California tested positive for COVID-19 yesterday, reports TechCrunch. The employee had been on leave to care for a relative since March 2, 10 days before being diagnosed.

Apple says that it consulted health experts and did an overnight deep cleaning of the Third St. store, which is still open.
"Apple's first priority -- now and always -- is the health and safety of our employees, customers and the communities we serve. An employee at our Third St. Promenade store in Santa Monica informed us they had tested positive for COVID-19 late yesterday. The employee has not been to the store since taking leave on March 2 to care for a relative.

In consultation with health experts, we've taken a number of steps to protect our teams and customers. All our stores around the world have increased deep cleaning protocols and we have actively reduced customer density in all stores worldwide by cancelling Today at Apple sessions and creating extra space for Genius Bar appointments. As a precaution, we also undertook an additional extensive deep clean overnight before reopening the Third St. Promenade store.

We recognize this is a challenging and ever changing time for our global community and our thoughts are with those around the world personally affected by COVID-19 and the heroic medical professionals and researchers fighting it."
Apple previously initiated extended cleaning protocols and reduced density at the store through the cancelation of Today at Apple sessions and spaced out Genius appointments, measures implemented at all retail stores across the country.

Apple Stores in the United States have so far remained open, though with the above mentioned measures in place. In popular stores, Apple is also limiting the number of customers who are allowed in the store at one time.

At the height of the coronavirus outbreak in China, Apple shuttered all of its retail stores, though those stores have now reopened. Stores in Italy are closed right now, and Apple is likely closely monitoring the coronavirus situation in the U.S. to determine whether store closures are an appropriate next step.

TechCrunch asked Apple if it is considering closing retail locations in the United States, but Apple declined to comment.

Article Link: Apple Store Employee on Leave in Santa Monica Contracts COVID-19

Blackstick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2014
Sunny South Florida
Unavoidable. Speaking as a former Apple Store employee, the vast majority are young and will effortlessly recover from infection, but who knows who else they infected... a busy Apple store is truly one of the most germy public places on earth.

Puppuccino

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2019
The thing is, it’s been widely reported that the virus can’t survive outside the body for very long so Apple probably don’t even need to clean anything.

The fact they have is only good news, but I think this will make people panic more and avoid the store.

kevinthebright

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2013
The thing is, it’s been widely reported that the virus can’t survive outside the body for very long so Apple probably don’t even need to clean anything.

The fact they have is only good news, but I think this will make people panic more and avoid the store.
I bet it survives long enough to go from the iphone that was just connected to your face to the technician.

Sodium Chloride

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2017
Apple says that it consulted health experts and did an overnight deep cleaning of the Third St. store, which is still open.
Would a deep cleaning damage the merchandises on display? What happens to the factory sealed items at the back of the store?

sakagura

Suspended
Feb 29, 2020
Something needs to stop someone crazy going into stores and deliberately infecting keyboards and other display items. If cameras capture them they should be fined maximum penalties possible, but by then they could have infected others. Apple Store employees need to be on the look out because not everyone in society is a team player or cares about public safety.

Reactions: compwiz1202

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018

More recent studies report that it can last 2-3 days on plastic or steel surfaces.

ericwn

macrumors 601
Apr 24, 2016
Something needs to stop someone crazy going into stores and deliberately infecting keyboards and other display items. If cameras capture them they should be fined maximum penalties possible, but by then they could have infected others. Apple Store employees need to be on the look out because not everyone in society is a team player or cares about public safety.
I question that people have nothing better to do when they’re already infected than to go out and infect others around them with the intention to make them sick.

While that’s theoretically possible that’s unlikely to be a real world issue.

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
Its gotten to the point that if you walk into a store and sneeze (due to allergies) pretty much everyone will charge for the door
A guy at the gym came in and sneezed right out in the open. Didn't cover his mouth at all. And my wife's supervisor has had a bad cough for 3 weeks. He hacks and coughs without covering his mouth most of the time but his boss won't send him home. We're pretty sure he infected 2 HR personnel. One has walking pneumonia and the other flu symptoms. I told her the next time he starts coughing in a room she's in just to leave. The situation is absurd.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
We have Apple third party ‘affiliated’ Repair stores in my region, (Aside from actual Apple stores), which have all closed until further notice due to ‘contamination of consumer products‘. In other words, ‘we don’t want to touch/repair your germ-invested devices, so go away....’😁

Solomani

macrumors 68040
Sep 25, 2012
Alberto, Canado
Unavoidable. Speaking as a former Apple Store employee, the vast majority are young and will effortlessly recover from infection, but who knows who else they infected... a busy Apple store is truly one of the most germy public places on earth.
Interesting. May I ask... is it standard procedure for the Apple Store to daily disinfect (wipe down) all of those touchy demo Apple devices?
- - Post merged: - -

Many many thousands will get this. Will we publish every person when that happens?
Nah. MR will only publish news when it's an Apple employee. And also Samsung people. Because this is, after all, SamsungRumors as much as Mac Rumors. 😆

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.