Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petrosil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2014
So I've been pretty excited about getting my first watch, been going back and forth between LTE or not Aluminum vs SS. There isn't a store within 250 miles of us so knowing we were going to be in Birmingham, Al I started making plans for my Black SS watch.
Employee indifference is just a fact of life and I figured I just got unlucky to get the salesperson that I did. The fact that she didn't own a watch herself didn't make me feel any better or that she had an Aluminum watch brought out and didn't catch it herself. But when I asked her about setting it up she said they no longer did that. She said I was free to have a seat at one of the tables and could ask someone for help if I needed it.
What? Whenever I went with my wife to get anything from either Apple or Best Buy, there was an amazing amount of support setting it up. I sat at a table near some more experienced looking Apple logo shirt people and the one kind woman confirmed it. She suggested I write Tim about it. Fortunately she was able to walk me through the set up and it now has my info on it. Thank you Nancy!
Anyone else bought a device as of late and experienced this same lack of support?
BTW love my new watch, now to figure out all it's tricks and capabilities!

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I'd assume it is the store. I've had some outright offensive horrible service at Apple Stores closer to Los Angeles. Where I live over an hour away (from that horrible Apple Store), I've had service that will keep me buying Apple Products for a long time. The Store near my house apologized for the treatment we had at a store closer to Los Angeles, replaced our product in 6 mins (because of AppleCare+) and thanked us for our long history of Apple purchases.

I bought 2 devices recently (in the last 4 months) - our local store practically begged me to help me set it up and spent time making sure I knew about everything.

Victoria Gardens, California - that store deserves an award. Been shopping there for the last 6 years. 12461 S Main St, Rancho Cucamonga.

I'm sure some people have had bad experiences at this store, but mine have all been A+.

I really hope Apple doesn't change the way they do their stores. It is a big reason why I spend the premium on their hardware.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
our local store practically begged me to help me set it up and spent time making sure I knew about everything.

Same.

Just bought a new Mac and the Genius seemed really geeked to help with setup (declined it, as I have been through this a number of times over the years).

My local store has always been helpful. And ordering online has always been pain free: was in/out in well under five minutes picking up the new Mac.

That said, sure, wrong place/time/person does happen, so, no excuses. Would maybe have brought up with the manager on duty.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
+1 for the incredible Apple Store employees. At both of the Apple Stores here in Salt Lake City, I have had nothing but exemplary, professional service, and every one I've talked with seemed genuinely interested in insuring that I left with not only the solution that I came in for, but more, perhaps a few minutes of conversation about other things, perhaps about a peripheral question I had about an unrelated matter, always a great experience. Perhaps I'm lucky, but if I am, would that everyone could be so lucky.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Much like phone tech support, the "people behind the desk" can sometimes suffer from thinking they know more than the customer. It's refreshing when you encounter that support person that actually trusts you know what you're talking about, and know what you're doing. :)

I peg this person's experience (above) on a bad apple (employee), and not representative of Apple as a whole.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

Haystack

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2019
So I've been pretty excited about getting my first watch, been going back and forth between LTE or not Aluminum vs SS. There isn't a store within 250 miles of us so knowing we were going to be in Birmingham, Al I started making plans for my Black SS watch.
Employee indifference is just a fact of life and I figured I just got unlucky to get the salesperson that I did. The fact that she didn't own a watch herself didn't make me feel any better or that she had an Aluminum watch brought out and didn't catch it herself. But when I asked her about setting it up she said they no longer did that. She said I was free to have a seat at one of the tables and could ask someone for help if I needed it.
What? Whenever I went with my wife to get anything from either Apple or Best Buy, there was an amazing amount of support setting it up. I sat at a table near some more experienced looking Apple logo shirt people and the one kind woman confirmed it. She suggested I write Tim about it. Fortunately she was able to walk me through the set up and it now has my info on it. Thank you Nancy!
Anyone else bought a device as of late and experienced this same lack of support?
BTW love my new watch, now to figure out all it's tricks and capabilities!

The Apple Store in Birmingham, AL is the only one for many miles around. I drove 60 miles to get there, but first I made an appointment. When I arrived early for my appointment regarding replacing a battery for an iPhone 6+, the store was literally packed with people on a Saturday afternoon. While my need did not involve an Apple Watch, I found the staff very friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. I had a good experience at Apple Store Birmingham The Summit.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Although I appreciate their offers for help, I usually only ask for their help if I have an issue. For some reason I had trouble setting up my AW4 LTE. It paired fine, but only 'worked' inside the store. I unpaired it and started it again a second time and got it to work.

Fortunately, I've had only positive experiences at my store.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
+1 for the incredible Apple Store employees. At both of the Apple Stores here in Salt Lake City, I have had nothing but exemplary, professional service, and every one I've talked with seemed genuinely interested in insuring that I left with not only the solution that I came in for, but more, perhaps a few minutes of conversation about other things, perhaps about a peripheral question I had about an unrelated matter, always a great experience. Perhaps I'm lucky, but if I am, would that everyone could be so lucky.

good to see someone from Utah here :)

Reactions: TyWahn and oeagleo

Mikeeee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
To me getting home with a new device and getting to set it up is half the fun of ownership!

Lol. I treat it like a SWAT mission. Get in, get the product and get out fast. Rush home and unbox/set it up like I'm doing a Youtube video.

Having said that, the 6 stores around me in greater Vancouver Canada have all been great. They always ask if I need any help. I always decline but they do seem to be ready, willing and able.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

jfim88

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2016
Spain
Last Saturday my girlfriend and me went to an Apple Store to buy a Watch for her. The employee offered us to setup the Watch. We refused but he offered. Spain.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Lol. I treat it like a SWAT mission. Get in, get the product and get out fast. Rush home and unbox/set it up like I'm doing a Youtube video.

Having said that, the 6 stores around me in greater Vancouver Canada have all been great. They always ask if I need any help. I always decline but they do seem to be ready, willing and able.

I am not comfortable in crowds, so my mission, like yours, is to get in and out of the store ASAP.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
I have had great service from the WTC and 14th Street stores in NYC. MY support and setup needs are greater than others because of disability and Apple has been great!

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Once upon a time, I always had great experience at Apple stores. In the last couple of years, it's been very hit-and-miss. My theory is that Angela Ahrends was terrible at her job and didn't properly focus on customer expererience, but it could just be my luck of the draw. At any rate, OP, we've all been there, but enjoy your new watch.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Once upon a time, I always had great experience at Apple stores. In the last couple of years, it's been very hit-and-miss. My theory is that Angela Ahrends was terrible at her job and didn't properly focus on customer expererience, but it could just be my luck of the draw. At any rate, OP, we've all been there, but enjoy your new watch.

Interesting, because I would say my experience counters yours. Ever since Ahrendts revamped all three Apple stores within my region, I actually felt that they improved and were more attentive to the customer, the services provided seem to be more ‘on point’ , I noticed that the customer service went way beyond what they did _before_ Angela Ahrendts had taken over and renovated stores in my area. I would say they changed for the better, but clearly every store will vary based on the employees that operate in that specific store.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Interesting, because I would say my experience counters yours. Ever since Ahrendts revamped all three Apple stores within my region, I actually felt that they improved and were more attentive to the customer, the services provided seem to be more ‘on point’ , I noticed that the customer service went way beyond what they did _before_ Angela Ahrendts had taken over and renovated stores in my area. I would say they changed for the better, but clearly every store will vary based on the employees that operate in that specific store.

Fair enough -- my experience obviously is mine alone, so I readily concede my conclusion from it may be wrong. I will say that the new Apple store here on the Chicago River is spectacular.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Fair enough -- my experience obviously is mine alone, so I readily concede my conclusion from it may be wrong. I will say that the new Apple store here on the Chicago River is spectacular.

I think Ahrendts had more of an ‘eye for design’, Being she came from Burberry, but now that she’s departed, I never was sure if that was the most appropriate fit for her at Apple, even though I do think she changed some things for the better.

Reactions: willmtaylor

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
By the way, if you buy AppleCare for you Watch (and I do, because I'm clumsy) you get a free one-on-one set up call with Apple.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
By the way, if you buy AppleCare for you Watch (and I do, because I'm clumsy) you get a free one-on-one set up call with Apple.

Side note:

If you request it, [even without AppleCare], they will still help you with a free ‘set up’ with the Apple Watch. I know that from experience, because I’ve tried it myself and made the suggestion to another member on the Apple Watch forum, and Apple did it for free. Really the point being, is that it goes to show you that Apple does care and they want the customer to feel comfortable with the product. That’s how you gain loyalty when you spend that type of money what Apple charges for products.

petrosil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2014
Thanks to all for sharing your experiences. Setting up a new device can be fun when I'm vaguely familiar it, such as a new computer. The watch, especially since it was LTE, was totally foreign to me. The way the salesperson explained it, I came away thinking it was new corporate policy. Fortunately there were still plenty of employees around and I found one who was very helpful.

Reactions: dotzero123

Farrellcollie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
I have had okay experiences with apple employees a while back and more recently I have had terrible experiences. I stopped going to the apple store because of how terrible they have become in my area.

Reactions: yukio

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The unfortunate thing with customer service, is there will _never_ be consistency. Every Apple store will operate slightly different from the other. And as much as Apple tries to be uniform with their policies and customer relations, it’s simply not possible for them to be consistent across every store, because every employee has a different attitude and mindset. But for the majority, I still think Apple has some of the best customer service over any other tech company.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.