Apple Store employees were not able to sell me my reserved iP5 for full price?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fsolano, Oct 7, 2012.

1. fsolano macrumors member

Hey, guys just as the title says, the apple store reps were not able to sell me my reserved iP5 for full retail price when I went in to pick it up today. I've heard of many people on here having success with this so I decided to give it a shot. I told them politely at the beginning of the conversation that I instead would've like to pay full price for it and they were all basically clueless about how to go about doing this. So what they did was they sold me the iP5 as if I was going to do the contract and then they were going to return it and sell it back to me at full price. It didn't work. It looked like they tried a few ways of to trying to achieve it with no luck. They told me that the scanner was reading that the iP5 was NOT eligible for a return and that since I placed the order online, I basically had to process the return online. So they sent me home with an extra SIM card and told me to call 1800-MY-APPLE tomorrow and to explain the whole situation to them and that they would be able to help me. However, during this whole time they never actually "activated" my phone or the SIM. I left the store with my iP5 in the sealed box and activated it at home (with a little difficulty since I didn't even know the phone # on the new account). I don't know if that could've been a factor in all this since I've been hearing that reserved iP5s have to be activated with their original SIM or something. If anyone that's gone through this successfully, please comment as to what exactly happened in their situation, I would gladly appreciate it. Thanks.

2. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

When they get to the step of purchasing the phone and they ask you for the phone number there is an option for them to click "device only." If they click that then the next screen during check out will display the full price no commitment price.

3. bogatyr macrumors 65816

I bought one through the store at full price. Reserved it online, went in and said I didn't want to tie it to the line I used to reserve it - nor sign a 2 yr agreement on it (Verizon makes you sign a 2yr agreement even paying full price according to the contract it pulled up).

They rang me up per normal, signed the contract and everything. Then they returned the phone which cancelled the contract. Then they sold me the phone outright. All done at the store in about 15min.

Each employee/store has a different set of information/knowledge though so it will vary depending on the sales rep you get.

4. boto macrumors 6502

boto

All iPhone 5s are pretty much unlocked. Just don't plug it to iTunes with the default sim card and use your own existing sim card, which will than give you service on whatever carrier you're using. As for the reservation, why not just walk in at opening hours and pick one up at full price 'no contract'? I was successfully able to get 14 iPhones no problem this way on launch day and these past 3 days. Now you will probably go through a troublesome process to activate your phone, though if you still didn't do so, just activate through iTunes and the default sim card should work.

5. GeeSixx macrumors regular

GeeSixx

Makes sense. Somebody beat you to it, brother.

6. fsolano thread starter macrumors member

How did you get the Apple store to sell it to you and reserve it for the full price? I was online several times and it never gave that option. Your probably not in the US

7. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

He reserved it as an upgrade to a line then at the store asked to buy it without contract instead.

8. fsolano thread starter macrumors member

Because my store literally never had stock until the day before yesterday and even then when I went in to see if I could purchase one in person they always told me that they had absolutely no iPhone 5s in stock and when they did get some, they were all going to be set aside for reservations.

----------

I don't know if you read the entire thread but I did the same...

Edit: Nevermind I just understood your post. I created a new account so that's probably why it didn't show up for me

----------

Do you think that since my phone and SIM weren't ever actually "activated" (I never even got the phone # tied to the account since I created a new one) that this is the reason that their scanners weren't able to refund the iPhone 5?

9. acatch90 macrumors newbie

Can anyone confirm this? I thought it was locked on checkout at the store when they associate the iPhone with a plan. I'm pretty sure Apples not that dumb or else we would all be able to get unlocked iPhones by activating with a different sim card...

10. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

Don't know if my experience will help but I'll share it anyway.

Have an account that I took over from my mom. However we never officially put it in my name because doing so would cause me to loose a sweet plan and unlimited data so on, but I am an authorized user to make changes.

So, last year with 4s I started a new line to get the phone and picked it up all myself no issue, this year tried the same thing using the online reservation and when I got to the store was told authorized users can only do upgrades not start new lines. So, I had an early upgrade on a line and decided to just use that.

They ended up canceling the original order for a new line at $199 and refunded me the money. Then turned around and sold me the same phone that had bee reserved for $449 on the upgrade line.

At first they were comfused and said it could not be done, but I insisted on a manager and she was able to do it no problem.

11. Johnnyiphone5 macrumors member

sometimes the apple guys don't know what's going on.

12. bogatyr macrumors 65816

I went through the process they provided. Either upgrade an existing line on the site or create a new line. Then at the store, buy it as quoted. Return it on the spot. The return cancels the contract you signed (you have 14 or 30 days depending on the carrier to cancel). Then buy the phone without contract.

As I said though, I don't think all stores will do this as some have denied users. Depends on the store and the employee. I've done this twice now (again yesterday when I picked up a 64GB model).