Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
My iPhone 5's bottom back piece has a pretty bad crack from being dropped. I was going to bring it to the Apple Store and wondering if they will fix or replace it for free. I think technically the one year warranty doesn't cover damage you do to the phone, but I've heard stories in the past that they are lenient about that. Anyone have luck with Apple Store replacing cracked iphone for free?

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
My iPhone 5's bottom back piece has a pretty bad crack from being dropped. I was going to bring it to the Apple Store and wondering if they will fix or replace it for free. I think technically the one year warranty doesn't cover damage you do to the phone, but I've heard stories in the past that they are lenient about that. Anyone have luck with Apple Store replacing cracked iphone for free?

My sister tried telling them that the iPhone was acting up and the battery was not lasting. They ignored all that and went straight to get a $50 replacement under AppleCare+ because they saw the crack.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
AppleCare+ was supposed to end the gray area between free replacements and paid replacements.

There have a been very few cases where they've replaced a phone for free without AppleCare+.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I hope you have AppleCare+ so the replacement will only be $49 + tax(probably).

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
I don't have AppleCare Plus. Without that, how much will they charge to fix or replace it?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I don't have AppleCare Plus. Without that, how much will they charge to fix or replace it?
Without looking it up, I think an out of warranty replacement for the iPhone 5 is $229. If they can actually repair it in the store, it will cost less. Not all stores have the ability to replace the screens on iOS devices as of yet.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
Here below....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-08-29 at 2.18.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-08-29 at 2.18.48 PM.png
    147.9 KB · Views: 89

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Without looking it up, I think an out of warranty replacement for the iPhone 5 is $229. If they can actually repair it in the store, it will cost less. Not all stores have the ability to replace the screens on iOS devices as of yet.

It's not the screen, just that small glass piece on the bottom of the back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.