Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SmoothJ

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2010
Well, I need to get this off my chest cause it is really bothering me. I brought my early 2008 MBP in for repair cause the HD was failing. I showed the output to the genius and he agreed with my assessment. Plus he checked my nvida card for issues, which there was none. He then stated well, the only one we have in stock at the moment was a 250GB. I said no problem and thank you for the upgrade. This was 4/2/11...

Monday, 4/4/11, came and then I remembered that my HD was a 7200 RPM vs a 5400 RPM. I called up the store and they agreed so they said they would order another HD, 320 GB this time and it should be in "soon." I asked how soon is soon, and they stated we can't give a time frame. I was like ok, no problem and thank you once again for the upgrade.

I called again today, 4/10/11 and they said that they still don't have the HD and a tech will give me a call if and when it does show up...

I am very happy that they gave me a upgrade, however I am disappointed with the service thus far. Something that could take an hour to do is now over a week. I mean heck, when I was working with Dell's WPD program, I most always received a part next day. Plus, I am backlogged now since this was supposed to be a 1-3 day repair. I even asked if they can put in a new 320GB cause I have one at home (was meant for something else), and give me the new drive when it comes in, but no can do.

Thank you for reading... :/

bigjobby

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2010
London, UK
Personally, I would've been more than happy with just the MBP upgrade and then beef up the HDD to a 500 GB 7200rpm myself. Then use the old one (with enclosure) as a back-up drive.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The store I worked at had that happen sometimes. When the depot has a part on back-order they won't give the Geniuses even a ballpark guess as to when it'll be in. :(

However, if you escalated to the Lead Genius or a manager, at my store they'd let you have your MBP back until the new drive came in, if it was a unibody model.

TheFarmer

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
That part wasn't in stock, there's nothing they can do until it's in stock. It does suck that it's taken that long, hope you get it back soon.

SmoothJ

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2010
Personally, I would've been more than happy with just the MBP upgrade and then beef up the HDD to a 500 GB 7200rpm myself. Then use the old one (with enclosure) as a back-up drive.

I would agree, but I didn't even get the MB back. I know stuff takes time, and I don't know exactly what is going in behind those doors, but IMHO this is taking a bit too long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.