iPad Apple store faulty exchange - new 14 days?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MrGimper, Nov 6, 2013.

1. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Discovered a fault on my Air and am having it exchanged at my Apple store. Will this invoke a new 14 day return period?

If not, can I just return the faulty one and purchase a new one in the same transaction to get a new 14 days?

2. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

If you just do an exchange, you'll be within your 1 year exchange period. But yes, you could just return the item. Then purchase another one separately within that 14 days.

Otherwise, you'll still have the initial 14 days to return your second one based on your first receipt.

3. MrGimper thread starter macrumors 601

MrGimper

Cool thanks. Just wondering if it would be "out of order" getting the Genius to return one and buy another at the same time, as opposed to exchanging.

4. Jades macrumors 6502

You wouldn't return through the Genius Bar. You would do it through any sales rep. I've done it before. They don't ask questions. You just say that it's a faulty ipad and I don't wanna go through the hassle of going through a genius rep and getting a refurbished replacement

5. csrini1 macrumors regular

All ipad air's can be exchanged returned to apple store, if bought from apple store by Jan 1st week. 14 days return does not apply due to holiday season purchases.

6. MrGimper thread starter macrumors 601

MrGimper

I'm in the UK and my receipt says return by 15th November.

I want to ensure I get the full 1 year warranty and return period of the replacement device, hence the original question

7. LostAggie macrumors 6502

8. luckylisp macrumors 6502

Are you certain? I heard it went by your original purchase date, although at the same time that doesn't seem altogether fair either.

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

First, I doubt LostAggie is correct on that. Would love to see an exchange receipt showing the extended return date.

I don't see why it's unfair. IMHO, return period is mainly for determining if the device meets your needs the way you thought it would. Warranty period is for fixing manufacturer defects. Many of the warranty exchange issues don't significantly affect your ability to decide if the device is worth keeping; and if an issue does it's simple enough to do the return then buy another (though I'm sure they'd prevent abuse of that ability)

10. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

The 14 day exchange period resets itself once you get a new exchange. But keep in mind that if you bought your ipad after November 1, you have until Jan 7 to return it.

11. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

LostAggie is correct.

I bought my Air on 11/2. My original receipt said I had until 11/16 to return/exchange. I exchanged it on Thursday 11/14. My new receipt shows 11/28 as the last day to return or exchange.

12. luckylisp macrumors 6502

Thanks very much for the replies, nice to have it confirmed. Noticed a light black horizontal line going across the screen on my exchange, which is why I was wondering.

13. metzy25 macrumors 6502a

metzy25

I purchased my ipad air on nov 1st but my receipt says I could only return by the 14th. Is that wrong?

14. metzy25 macrumors 6502a

metzy25

Anyone know the answer to this question?

15. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

If you bought it in store, it's 14 days. If you ordered online for in-store pick up, it's within the holiday return policy, which is January 7.

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

I worked P/T for Apple Retail for a few years. In-store purchases followed the same holiday return period as on-line purchases. Never got a good answer as to why they couldn't make the in-store receipts reflect that. One year they gave us little pieces of paper that explained that, which we were supposed to staple to all of the in-store receipts.

I know this is already confirmed, but FWIW, there is really no such thing as an "exchange".

If you're within the return window of a product, you return it (for a refund), and then buy another one (at full cost).

The return/buy are usually done on the same transaction, so the net cost is $0 (and you'll likely never see the transaction hit your credit card), but they're really two separate steps.

When you buy a new one, that new one comes with its own return period (that starts when you buy it). :)

17. deeddawg macrumors 604

Did you do a return/exchange or a warranty exchange?

I was perhaps unclear in my post; I was talking about a warranty exchange.

A return-the-old / buy-a-new of course would reset the 14 day clock since it's a new purchase transaction.

18. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I exchanged mine due to a screen defect. During the first 14 days it shouldn't matter why you are exchanging or returning.

19. deeddawg macrumors 604

Cool, good to know. :D