Apple Store Genius Bar Experience

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wallaby, Feb 9, 2008.

1. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

I had to take my Macbook Pro to the Apple Store today to get it fixed (1 hour trip to get there). I just wanted to post my satisfaction with how the Apple Store handles repairs.

My MBP had a broken DVD drive (which was weird, because it still read CDs). I expected to have to wait a week for it to get fixed, but I was in and out of the store in a half hour. I was lucky enough that they had a replacement drive in the store, so the Genius guy just went back and did the repair while I waited. This was a pleasant surprise for me.

Something else this experience has convinced me of is that the extended AppleCare plan is definitely worth it. I'm still on my free year of service, but the price of fixing the drive would have been more than the cost of buying AppleCare for another two years. You can still buy it at any time before your free year is up, correct?

2. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I don't know why so many people complain about the quality of the Geniuses, granted, they do have to "act dumb" about certain things that Apple tells them to, but my one and only exchange was great, and it was the swapping of an entire MacBook. By the time that I was done, they had two geniuses plus the store manager (who was also acting as a genius that day) working on my problem, and it was a busy day (Sunday following Black Friday). The guys there are great, my thanks still go out to the guys over at the Derby Street Apple Store for having me in and out with a brand new computer in under an hour.

3. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

you are correct...buy it before the year is up

also, thanks for posting a positive experience..unfortunately people always seem to tell everyone about bad experiences and just forget about the good ones!

4. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502a

I've only had one experience with the Genius Bar at the Yorkdale Apple Store in Toronto. Very positive experience, probably the best service I have ever had. Basically my battery life for my 30GB Video iPod was horrible, was only getting 4 hours for music before it died. Anyways, went there to find out I was 6 days over the 6 month period which they replace your product for free.

I didn't purchase Apple Care at all for it so I thought I would have to pay for a new iPod but I got it replaced for free. The guy was really nice about it, it was an hour drive there and I was out in like 15 minutes.

5. Mr. Funsocks macrumors regular

Wow. Good to hear. I've only heard negative things about the genius bar. Mostly on their know how and not so much on the repair side of things.

6. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

In regards to AppleCare being worth it, I just signed a new insurance policy form that covers ALL accidents and malfunction of electronics devices for up to four years from their purchase date. Price? 25% off the same price of AC and the insurance also covers accidental damage, so basically I can pee on my MBP and crunch my glasses and it will still be covered.

Somehow I found it to be more practical than AC. :D

7. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Well the only problem with "traditional" insurance policies is that your premiums generally rise in accordance with the claims you file.

You can have the LCD panel and logic board on your Mac replaced a dozen times during the course of Applecare coverage and you still end up paying the same price for it on your next machine.

8. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

That is of course true but when I drop a coke or a beer on my display I'd rather prefer that my insurance takes care of it rather than I pay for it.

While the warranty is effective (two years in Denmark) I will of course use it, so it's a win/win as I see it.

Basically I can rest assured of babying my MBP instead of constantly taking care. Boy, when I had my expensive iBook I was a nervous wreck every time I transported it... :eek:

9. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

They'll be an excess to pay, no? And your premiums will go up if you claim. Also these policies sometimes don't include wear and tear, and if they do cover wear and tear and accidental, they often don't cover everything. i.e. some policies don't cover LCD or Plasma TV's, and only the old CRT's!

10. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Well for 25% of the cost of Applecare up front and FULL coverage for any damage including accidental it does indeed sound like a good deal.

I got my Applecare from L.A. Computer for my iMac so it was much cheaper than Apple charges for it.