Apple Store genius ? Macbook wont power on

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stuart21, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Stuart21 macrumors member

I just recently took my mid 2010 macbook pro 13 to the apple store which is about an hour and half from me to get the DVD drive replaced. It was not reading dvd or cds and kicking them out. Drove down there met with them they shipped off to texas and I got it a week later and everything was great. Well yesterday I went to turn on my macbook and it wont power on. I hit the power button nothing. I can't hear anything try to start up like nothing is happening at all. I have tried everything to turn it on. When I plug in the power chord the light turn orange and starts charging the battery which is about at 70 percent. So I know it's not my battery b/c i have juice and it's charging while I have it plugged in. I dont really want to make another trip down to the apple store but it's looking like I'm going to have too. My question is. If I argue with them do you think they will just give me a refurbished replacement in the store. I need my laptop for work every day and it's a hassle to go without one for a week. Also does anyone have any suggestions on trying to diagnose what's wrong with my laptop. It has no water damage or any kind of damage. I have had it back from apple for less then a week. My macbook is also still under a year warranty.

2. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

The odds are, they won't give you a refurbished replacement for two reasons. One, being that this is only the first (second?) problem you have had with it. The second being that (to my knowledge) they do not carry refurbished units in the store. However, YMMV.

3. HBOC macrumors 68020

does the "white" light slowly flash? If so, it could be the logic board.

4. Stuart21 thread starter macrumors member

Ill check when I get home. Are you talking about a flash like when the macbook sleeping or more rapid?

5. Stuart21 thread starter macrumors member

Also when i do a store locator on apple's support website there is a place called L2 technologies. I guess there an authorized apple repair place. Would they send it in to apple to replace the logic board at no cost since it still under warranty or would I have to go to an apple store for that?

6. Stuart21 thread starter macrumors member

That's not working as well. Any other ideas. the battery indicator still lights up on the side. The power adapter when plugged in shows its charging. Would it do this if its a fried motherboard or logic board? Im going to try and take it this weekend. Is there anything I can check for to see if there's water damage? Maybe one of my roomates spilt something on it and didnt tell me. What should I be looking for because i dont see any water sensors when removing it and no corrosion of any sort. I also disconnected the battery and plugged it back in and still nothing.

7. HBOC macrumors 68020