I guess this is the best spot for this one? Okay, so I've had this intermittent problem with my 3GS for awhile now. I checked, and I knew I was getting close to my 1-year anniversary in regard to warranty. I don't have AppleCare, nor do I want it. I'm gonna buy a white iPhone 4 whenever they're out and the hoopla is all over. Soo... I make an appt at one of my friendly, neighborhood Apple stores. I wait until 10 minutes past my appt time. No biggie. I'm patient. I tell the "Genius" that I have this problem, that it is intermittent, but lately it has been getting worse. I had begun an erase of all my data before I took it over there, in case they went ahead with a replacement. The phone locked itself though, and wouldn't reboot. The "Genius" reset the thing, and I had told her (yeah... it was a girl, I've never had a chick help me at the Genius bar, though I am a chick and was not biased... until now) all of the problems I'd had, and that I'd tried a reset at home before to no avail, etc. She takes FOREVER to complete her "diagnostic" of the device, and comes back to inform me that she wasn't able to duplicate the problem, so well... I guess there's no problem and her reset has fixed it! (No. It hasn't. It will happen again. I am restoring it now. It will happen again.) She brings along a manager to explain this to me. I'm all of 5'4" and I hardly look menacing. It was weird. So, I tell the manager dude that I waited over an hour (yes, it took that long), and that I really don't have time to truck it back over there to wait another hour when it starts up again. He appears to be sympathetic (but, not really), and offers to sell me AppleCare for half price. Uh. No, dude. Just, no. He then offers to cover it until I can buy myself an iPhone 4. I ask if he's gonna cover it until the white one comes out... so then, he offers to cover it for 3 months. (Kids, I'm sensing a late August release, if they really meant "later this summer" for that white model... manager got all crosseyed when I said I was holding out for white). His original offer was to cover it for an extra month (until he heard that I wanted white... could mean something, could mean nothing). Anyway... I leave. Pissed off. Should I just take it to another local Apple Store? Tomorrow, I mean? I'm aggravated beyond belief. I don't want to have to fight the crowd at an Apple Store after iPhone 4 launch. You know that place will be nuts for at least a few weeks. Bah. Advice?