Apple Store Glasgow - Buchannan Street

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnnyi08, Feb 4, 2008.

1. johnnyi08 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I was considering recently on making the big move to mac from my steam powered dell laptop. If i was to buy a mac the nearest store to me would be Glasgow, I was wondering what the staff are like in the Glasgow store are they helpful or are the really bad. The reason why I am asking this is because i have had a lot of trouble from my dell and i don't want to go through the same thing. I also would like to know I am currently at high school would i be eligible for an education discount.

Jonathan

2. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

they are superb mate...dont worry about it.

if you really want top class service, phone them and book the appointment, you will get a personal shopping one to one. they even walk around with a sign saying 'do not disturb' lol

3. johnnyi08 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol yeh a was in the store the other day and me and my m8 just played with the macs and the security guard kept looking at us lol.I am very tempted to get a mac the only thing that stops me is i would love a black macbook pro so much

4. taylor200588 macrumors regular

taylor200588

the glasgow store is where i purchased my macbook last september! i phoned up the day b4 with a few questions and the guy i got was so helpful. so i hopped on the train and went thru with my mummy!

wen i went it i got this total idiot! he was nice and all but obviously didnt know a thing about macs! he offered me discount apple care for students and i said yeah, then wen i went to pay for it he looked it up and told me the offer wasn't running anymore. what a pie !

SO ANYWAY i had to get stuff done to my laptop b4 i got it, cos of where i live i dont get broadband so i asked if he could do a system update for me and he said yeah! when i went back to pick it up i got the guy that i was on the phone to the day b4. he was SOOO nice, he and my mum chatted for ages haha!

anyway my laptop wasnt ready so i went and did a little shopping, got a phone call to say it was ready and i went it. i had to go upstairs to the genius bar and there i got this amazing guy, so friendly and nice. told me if i ever hav any trouble with it, software, hardware, any trouble just to bring it back and they will sort it. apart from that one pee brain the rest of the staff were excellent, so helpful and everything. eveytime i walk in there i get a smile from them ;)

THERE YOU GO my wee apple glasgow store experience! i need to go back next week to take my macbook back, its playing up! i hope they will replace it or something, im taking mummy along with me cos she dosnt take no for an answer muhahahaha

:D

5. johnnyi08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for the replies :).I am really want to move to mac now, because this vista is very slow and s*** pretty much to sum it up. I hate all these random shutdown's and the blue screen of death. I think i have persuaded my folks to buy me a mac lol a will just milk it and get a high end macbook pro!. :D:D

6. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Buy it from John Lewis in Glasgow. You get a 2 year guarantee. First year is Apple Care, same as if you bought from Apple - world wide support. Second year is with a 3rd party company that will fix it, but if any problems take it to John Lewis and they sort it out.

They are a lot more understanding too when it comes to finding the perfect laptop - if you happen to get a yellow tint one, easily replaceable. Apple Store is a lot less sympathetic.

I bought mine from John Lewis Edinburgh.

7. johnnyi08 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did have John lewis in mind just need to wait and see does anyone know if john lewis offer and accidental damage. Does anyone know if i would be eligible for and education discount at the apple store i am currently still at high school ?.

8. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

i'm not sure if you can get your educational discounts through john lewis, but if you're not eligible for a discount you'd be a fool to go anywhere other than John Lewis. Fantastic customer service and a better warranty. They've built a reputation as being THE classy department store - they don't want to ruin that by not giving the customer what they want. I even took some headphones back that had what i perceived to be a crackle and they just replaced them right there and then, despite the fact they'd been in my ears.

go to the apple store to play around and fiddle and ask questions (and maybe not get a decent answer) and go to JL to buy.

9. johnnyi08 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am going to Glasgow tomorrow with my m8 a said to him need to go and try out the new macbook air's don't even know if the Glasgow store has them but just a try. I will try and go into John Lewis, If i am correct the John Lewis store is pretty much across the street from the apple store. Do John Lewis offer and accidental damage cover, because i am one of those people who break everything i touch :) lol

Jonathan

10. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

John Lewis doesn't offer any form of discount, whether it is educational. As for accidental damage, I think their extended warranty covers it (I use to be an employee in their Audio TV department but I'm struggling to remember this!) but you are better asking to be sure.

11. johnnyi08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for all the replies a will ask tomorrow when i am in Glasgow. :)

12. RevolutionOne macrumors member

RevolutionOne

Discount for high school is roughly 6% I do believe, you're only eligible for AppleCare discount if you're at uni and buy it with the machine at the time.

I wouldnt bother with AppleCare, like people say, you have 12 months AppleCare included and can extend it anytime you like for an extra year within the 12 months from purchase. The only good thing you gain from AppleCare is the extension of 90 days telephone support but if you have a store near by then take advantage of your local genius for free :):)

AppleCare is more expensive on laptops, £199 for macbooks, £279 for macbook pro.

They currently have printer rebate and .mac deals going on so ask about them too :)

Word of warning, they will try hard to sell you AppleCare, .mac, one2one and procare if going to the store.

13. RevolutionOne macrumors member

RevolutionOne

Another piece of advice, bring plenty of student ID!!

14. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

I can't say I've ever been subject to hard sell. Just told what was available.

15. sweetie81 macrumors regular

Nice poeple there. Have been there a couple of times myself and all are very friendly.

Buy there plus you can check the computer for errors.

16. johnnyi08 thread starter macrumors newbie

I went into the apple store 2day and my god how light is that macbook air and yeh the people in the store seemed very nice.I even got a wee show of a macbook pro from one of the guys.

17. jaffabuk macrumors newbie

John Lewis do a price promise, If u quote them your discounted student price from mac store John Lewis will match it, Thats how i got my macbook from the Edinburgh store :)

But that was just over 2 years ago and i got the broken palm rest bit with a well scratched top, im hoping the Glasgow macstore can re case it..

18. mford251181 macrumors newbie

Grest service from Glasgow Apple Store

Just to let you know i think Apple Store in Glasgow are great. I've been back twice, i dropped my laptop a goosed the haed drive, they changed it for nothing. After a year and a half the palm rest broke and they change that for nothng too, out of warrantly!

Couldn't been happier with them.

Cheers!