Apple Store in Baton Rouge Opening-Questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JimTigerPT, Feb 22, 2008.

1. JimTigerPT macrumors member

JimTigerPT

Just found out our new Apple store opens up March 6 here in Baton Rouge, LA. Awesome! I plan on getting my daughter a Mac Book and then later me an iMac. I was going to buy from the Apple online store but I guess I can wait and make “a day of it”.

1. Anyone have any thoughts or experience if Apple typically offers any specials when they open a new store above and beyond the normal stuff?

2. I have learned you can save big bucks buying memory and Applecare from other places other than Apple. Guess I should do that instead of buying from Apple.

3. I assume the specials apple online advertizes like the $100 off a new printer also applies to Apple retail stores.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

2. tuxtpenguin macrumors regular

1. I've been to a couple of Apple Store openings and I don't remember any special discounts. But, then again, I was just browsing and not in the market to purchase at the opening event, so I may have missed that.
    2. Definitely get extra RAM from a 3rd party vendor.
    3. Not sure about the printer rebates in store.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

1. Typically no specials. You will usually get a gift of T-shirt, and a possibility to win a prize.

2. Yes.

3. Yes apple physical store and online store are one and the same. To make things easier (since they would probably be new employees), print out the page with URL to make it easier for them to get you the info.

I am surprised Apple is opening a store there. I was in New Orleans recently, and all opinions are that there is still ways to go before things go back to normal. I guess Apple wants to pump some money into the local economy (by building the store), and create jobs, which will be good for the locals.

4. mrbrown macrumors 6502

Well, there's a couple of reasons behind putting the store in Baton Rouge, rather than New Orleans.

Per capita, BR has more money than New Orleans. We're also the capital of the state, its the center of the southern part of the state (anything above I-10 is Arkansas... well, not really, but it seems that way), and on top of everything, it's a college town (LSU, the state's largest university, and Southern, one of the oldest HBCUs in the country).

Throw in the GO Zone tax breaks stretching all the way to Texas, and no Apple store within 500 miles, and you've got a good thing going.

(On a side note, I actually walked into their retail training accidentally earlier today while looking for a place to have a wedding reception.)

5. macroscoe macrumors newbie

Baton Rouge Store

Where will it be located? I've heard Mall of Louisiana and Perkins Rowe.
    What is the ETA?

6. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

The Apple Store is going to be in the new Boulevard which is an outdoor extension to the mall (can't be seen from interstate really).
    I was just there a few days ago and I don't see them making that deadline. I'll be there for the opening, but I would guess it'd really be on the 7th, a Friday.

7. JimTigerPT thread starter macrumors member

JimTigerPT

I have seen absolutely no advertising for the Apple store opening next week other than what was in the Baton Rouge Business Report last week that March 6th would be the opening. Strange :(

8. chaseardoin7 macrumors regular

chaseardoin7

yay!

i'm SOOOO excited that the store is opening next week. i'm so sick of driving to Houston every time i need to go to a genius bar. this store will be such a convenience.

i was hoping to make the grand opening, but i have class (in Lake Charles) that morning, so i'll be in Baton Rouge in a couple of weeks.

yayyyy!

chase :apple:

9. mrbrown macrumors 6502

They've got all of the signage up for the Boulevard shops the last time I went out there (just a couple of days ago) - I couldn't see where the Apple store is located in there, but the signage for all of the stores is definitely up. And like I said, they're definitely training (I accidentally walked into their training session @ Ashley Manor on Sunday).

But the whole parking lot is a mess... I think they could probably clear all of that out and pour a parking lot (barring unforeseen bad weather) by then.

10. Macstrosity macrumors newbie

Macstrosity

Firm Dates

I absolutely plan on going to the opening. That said, it looks like no one quite knows when that will be so I am sure that anyone here will appreciate any news on firm dates for the opening! <---This guy is excited

On another note, I have never been to a new store opening. Are the any tips or protocol that I should know about before going??

:apple:TK

11. dstaley macrumors newbie

According to the mall's website and officials at the mall, the Phase One opening of the Boulevard is still on for Thursday, March 6th. More information will be released on Monday. I'll post here when I find out more information.

Also, who's all coming to the opening?

12. JimTigerPT thread starter macrumors member

JimTigerPT

I will be there sometime during the day or evening!

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

Yes, although stores may not stock every model available if you placed your order online.

Grand openings are a lot of fun. :)

14. dstaley macrumors newbie

15. JimTigerPT thread starter macrumors member

JimTigerPT

Sweet! Any signs of life INSIDE the store? Were you able to take a look?

16. dstaley macrumors newbie

Nah, It was a strict "NO TRESPASSING" zone. That picture was taken as we drove by.

Also, the website for the Mall of LA location is up! (Well, not OFFICIALLY, you can only get to it by typing in the URL. The dropdown box hasn't been updated)

Click Here to visit

17. JimTigerPT thread starter macrumors member

JimTigerPT

Thanks for the link. I rode by today and figured that was about as close as I could get also. I will be there sometime Thursday afternoon. May get that t-shirt for the first 1000 people. I may buy my daughters MacBook. It depends on if they have the printer I want because I would like the $100 rebate but as you know, it must be on the same receipt. Any clue on how they stock these stores the first week or so? If they don't have it, guess I will go through the online store. Any suggestions?

18. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

So anyone going to the grand opening on Thursday? I'll definitely be driving down there.

19. die444die macrumors member

I'm definitely gonna be there. I walked into the store yesterday (The mall has a huge sign saying "NOW OPEN - Apple, etc..." which is hanging right by entrance with the escalators, I saw a bunch of people walking in there and so we just walked on into the construction area and right into the store. Of course then we were told that it wasn't open yet. We chatted with the guy for a minute, until I caught sight of the Macbook Air. I think he noticed the look in my eye and started edging us closer to the door. It looked to be completely finished, all the computers were on.

Does anyone know if they typically have open Wifi?

20. chaseardoin7 macrumors regular

chaseardoin7

yea, all apple stores have free wifi.

i think the name of the network
    is always called 'applestore'
    if i'm not mistaken.

can't wait! 1 more day!

chase :apple:

21. brianbobcat macrumors regular

From day one they're a fully stocked store. Occasionally, but only once in a blue moon, they will have soft openings (I believe the last one was in the UK) but for the grand openings, they're fully stocked which makes sense. They have 1,000 people show up, they give out a T-shirt, and how many people do you see walking out with an Apple bag? Frankly I don't see why someone would walk in, get their T-shirt and walk out with say a Mac Pro unless they were gonna buy one in the coming days/weeks anyways, and that was the most convenient, but my guess is that openings are the most profitable days for stores outside of the Holiday season.

Have fun and pick me up a T-shirt ;-)
    -Brian

22. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I'm number 10 in line at the moment. Nice day indeed.

23. Macstrosity macrumors newbie

Macstrosity

There now...

At the store as we speak...glorious
    :apple:TK

24. die444die macrumors member

I was number 5 in line, wearing a blue jacket / purple shirt. It was pretty cool. Bought a wireless keyboard and mouse (Couldn't ever find them in stock at CompUSA).

It was a pretty awesome experience. Did anyone else's checkout person have a hard time finding the '@' key when emailing a reciept?

25. JimTigerPT thread starter macrumors member

JimTigerPT

I got there about 1:30 PM after work so I guess I missed out on the t-shirts! Sweet store! Very busy when I was there. I wanted to buy a black MacBook and a Canon 970 printer. They came out with my MacBook but said they did not have the printer; only one or 2 other lower end Canons which I did not want. I told them I wanted to buy now but they just did not have or could get that printer but it was online as I wanted to take advantage of the $200 rebate on that particular model. To make a long story short, I just ordered my stuff on the online store so will just have to wait until it comes in.:mad: Oh well, I will be back at the store for sure! Will check out some of the free classes they have. Anyone been to them?