Apple Store Incompetence

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by napabill, Jul 15, 2008.

1. napabill macrumors newbie

After waiting over a month for the release of the 3G iPHone on July 11th, I decided to give it a couple of days before attempting to purchase one. A buddy of mine was also interested, so we carelfully checked, as instructed, the web site for the Apple Store in Walnut Creek, CA the night before, and noted that they were to have stock the following day in all 3 varieties. So we committed to the 60 mile drive the next morning (today) and arrived 1 hour before scheduled store opening. We were #20 in line. Shortly after, an Apple employee informed us that at that point, they had no phones. But that the FedEx shipment was due shortly. True to form, about 15 minutes later a FedEx truck pulled up and unloaded what appeared to be 60+ small boxes. We were all relieved. About 15 minutes later another employee announced that they hadn't received any phones. I asked (politely, the first time) why the web site indicated that they'd have phones. She shrugged her shoulders as if to say, "Oh well." Another more senior employee then announced that they had not received a shipment since the release day, and had no expectations of receiving any today. When again I asked why their web site had indicated otherwise, she said that because iPhones had been set aside the previous Friday for the folks who were there but couldn't activate. They were given a claim slip. Many had still not made a claim. And apparently the phones still officially showed in inventory, causing the web site to show all green. SO FAIR WARNING, THE APPLE WEB SITE IS A FRAUD and not to be trusted. I have completely lost my enthusiasm for this product and will probably defer purchase to the future, if ever. This whole thing has been conducted on the basis of what is convenient for Apple, screw the customer.

2. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

I feel you man, you should really complain to the store manager and demand some sort of a compensation...I wouldn't let it slide unless something is being done.

3. guitarguy09 macrumors member

Wow, I'm sorry that you drove so far and everything but I think you need to relax a little. What other phone company actually takes the time to try and depict what phones they currently have in stock?... (granted, I do NOT think that a little green or red icon is sufficient. There needs to be a quantified stock number indicating the number available for PURCHASE, not a number saying how many they have in the store... so in that sense, I agree with you).

However, I must say that after having the opportunity to play with the iphone 3g since launch day (because got hardly no sleep the night before to make sure that I got one) it is well worth the wait. I'm sorry for the inconvenience you've experienced, but I don't think you should punish yourself by not getting it altogether... just my thoughts...

(By the way, why not just go to a local AT&T store and save yourself the drive?)

4. Aiphanes macrumors regular

Aiphanes

Why would anybody drive 60 miles and not know for certail that an Iphone was waiting for them?

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

lame

Sucks! Two things:

1. Call ahead next time. If you can't guarantee availability, don't go.

2. Learn to use the return key on your keyboard.

6. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

I called Apple and this is what they told me "uh...I can't say". "uhh, I can't say that either..." "uhh...I can tell you there is a 5 hour line and that's about it."

7. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I don't know why but I thought that was pretty funny.

8. mac jones macrumors 68040

Well they gotten the spell check thing sewn up all they need now is grammar checker and 'run on' filter.

9. ASN21 macrumors member

Same thing happened when I got my iphone today. Store said they had all 3 varieties available but ended up only have the 8gb in stock. Needless to say a lot of pissed of people in the morning.

10. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

11. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

Where the heck do you live for you to have to go 60 miles to the Walnut Creek store? I am guessing you live in the Sacramento area, where you could have easily gone to the Arden Fair mall and acquired one, I know they had some stock. Here in California, there is pretty much an Apple store every 20-30 mins from each other.

I do agree that Apple didn't plan this out well, but if you can please enlighten me on why you drove 60 miles to an Apple Store when they are evenly spread throughout CA and "most" have inventory?

12. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

You need to chill. Snafu's during a product launch like this one are
    to be expected.

Agree, you should call ahead and realize there is no guarantee they would still
    have stock even IF the website were 100% accurate when you checked.
    First come first serve.

Conclusion-stop whining! Apple stores do a great job imo.

13. mac jones macrumors 68040

Lighten up, we are only kidding.

:)

14. napabill thread starter macrumors newbie

I was seriously pissed when I wrote the original text. When pissed, running on and not using the return key, reflects the thought process at the time.

Did call ahead. Was told they didn't know and to check availability on the web site. Which I did. All green. I did check tonight and they are apparently getting the message as there is all red. And that is now the case with many of the stores in CA.

QUOTE=villanova329;5831557]Where the heck do you live for you to have to go 60 miles to the Walnut Creek store? I am guessing you live in the Sacramento area, where you could have easily gone to the Arden Fair mall and acquired one, I know they had some stock. Here in California, there is pretty much an Apple store every 20-30 mins from each other.[/QUOTE]
    Well, actually after checking Google, it is only 52 miles. And it is in the Napa Valley. We have Santa Rosa/Corte Madera/Walnut Creek, all 50+ miles.

15. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

feel for folks in this quandry....

Not in a similar situation but I can sympathize. I mean you make an executive decision. If you wait until a store opens and then drive 50 plus miles, there's no saying you will get in a reasonable line and get a phone right now.

After my local AT&T was not going to have stock, I landed up late Friday night ending my evening by taking a ride over to the flagship 5th Avenue Store. I had been on the phone with my local AT&T (heard what the Rep was not saying) and also a couple of the Apple Stores. When I got the initial busy with the 5th Avenue store rather than keep calling trying to get through I just said let's hop on over. I mean it's the middle of the night.

Well I park one block away and walk up to a line of 400 people. Dozens of others floating around aimlessly like zombies. It was surreal.

And the Apple Rep saying to another. Start the 7:00 am line right over there (40 feet behind the existing one).

So I really sympathize with someone having to juggle this with a long drive.

16. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I do feel your pain

When the original iPhone came out I called EVERY STORE within 50 miles and finally got a store 49 miles away so I called them up and a woman answered and told me they had 1 more left. I begged her to hold it and she said she couldnt so I asked her if they were selling quickly and she said yes

So, I told her, "I am about to drive 2 hours to get this phone, when I get there, will it still be there?"

She laughed and said yes and nice enough....she had saved it for me

I would never have traveled if she hadnt said that though

17. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yep

All the more reason not to go.

18. lovetheduns macrumors regular

Ugh-- I feel for you, but i don't think I would have made the drive.

I stood in line with a guy from a city away (about an hour drive or so depending on where in the city he lived) and the Apple store was very confident that they had enough stock to take care of all of us in the line (to a point). Towards a few hours later, they did send out an Apple guy to stand at the end of the line and turn away any new customers based on how long they had calculated the time to service every customer. By seeing the stock in the store (when I finally got in) and seeing FEDEX and DHL make deliveries, I think it was not the question of the stock lasting but of how long could they manage to stay open -- as is I am fairly certain on IDay 2 they were probably open until 1am processing everyone in line.

When I called-- I was very specific in saying, I had a "ways to drive" (even though it was only about a 30 min drive for me) and what were the realistic chances. The other store closest to me was vague and cryptic-- so I opted to not go there-- but this store was very positive that they should be able to service everyone although I definitely would be standing in line for 5+ hours (which turned into 6.5)