Apple Store Inventory Updates- Pick up in Store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by setho212, Sep 19, 2014.

1. setho212 macrumors newbie

So after waiting 4 hours in front of my Verizon store this morning and being the first person in line, I was informed at 7:55 AM that they had not received any 6+'s. They were generous enough to offer to order the phone for me, but with a delivery date of 10/28, I politely told them to go do something very inappropriate to themselves.

I am planning on monitoring the inventory of the 4 apple stores in my area on a nightly basis so I can hopefully pick up a phone well before 10/28. Does anyone know when apple stores typically update their inventory for purposes of picking up items in store?

2. SetHutBlue42 macrumors member

I believe when I did this for the 5 it was 9pm.

3. akhilleus macrumors member

You're going to just have to be diligent/annoying. I can imagine that the Apple stores are inundated with work right now so things are a bit hectic. I don't know if they're going to have a "particular" time when they update inventory, as it's usually on the back end and they keep things hush hush anyway.

4. SetHutBlue42 macrumors member

You just check online through the Apple Store. Sometime in the evening, their inventory updates and you can see which stores have the iPhone available for pickup. It takes about 5 minutes each night. You don't need to call them or talk to any employees.

5. setho212 thread starter macrumors newbie

That was my plan all along. I'd rather not call the store every night. Does anyone have any idea when I should check online for updates? Does the website update automatically or does it rely on some at the store to input the new stock?

6. SetHutBlue42 macrumors member

See my first reply. 9pm is when it updated during the iPhone 5 release. Just put the phone in your cart at 8:55pm and keep refreshing until about 9:05pm. If one of the stores in your area pops up saying "Available for Pickup" then you're good.

7. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

This will start working for the 6 plus in what like November? Lol

8. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

So it's the employee's fault that apple didn't send them any pluses?

I hate Verizon stores, but come on.

9. setho212 thread starter macrumors newbie

My problem is not the inventory, it is the way the store staff handled the situation.

Perhaps some additional information would help. As explained earlier I waited outside my store from 4-8 AM and was the first in line. The store manager arrived at the store at 6 AM and a few of us in line asked if there would be any 6+'s available. He said they hadn't even received the shipment yet. Then between 6 and 7:30 numerous store employees arrived and even came out to talk to us. We repeatedly asked if there were any 6+'s and got no information. Not until 7:55 when they opened the doors to the store did they tell us they had no 6+'s. They then tried very hard to push the 6 on us.

Its kind of hard to believe that they didn't know until 5 minutes before opening that none of the +'s would be available. The courteous thing to do would have been to let us know when they found out, rather than making us wait even longer and then trying to push a phone on us that we weren't interested in.

10. SetHutBlue42 macrumors member

Why are you pissed at their employees for following instructions? I am sure they are told to not say a word about inventory until the store opens, just like they are told to not say a word about anything until it becomes available to the public.

This is Apple's marketing strategy, and it obviously works like a charm. Even if you consider this to be a "bad" experience, you are even more determined to get an iPhone 6+ now. Just like everyone else will be when they find out they can't get one.

11. setho212 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well if those is the instructions they are given, based on the experiences many people on this forum have, there sure do seem to be a lot of employees who do not follow instructions and have no issue revealing inventory to customers who ask.

It just seems pretty mean spirited for the manager to see that we had been waiting outside for 4 hours knowing full well that he did not have the product we wanted and not to say a thing.

12. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

So because some employees break policy all employees should do so?

I worked at GameStop during the Wii craze. We weren't supposed to give out any inventory information. It is a security policy for the store, company, and employees. Sorry that you didn't get you phone, but it's not the store employees fault. If you insist on blaming anyone, blame who ever put the company policy in place.

13. SetHutBlue42 macrumors member

Or blame yourself for not pre-ordering. If you did try to pre-order, blame yourself for being unable to wait a month or two to get a new gadget.

14. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

Jesus.
    You've obviously never worked in retail or on black Friday.

It's because of people like you that they act the way they do. It sucks. They're confused and uncomfortable, probably not knowing what the hell to do, but wanting to do their best for people. You being a jerk to them just ruins their entire day, making not only them feel bad, but also dampening every following persons experience; they don't forget.

You'll get your phone eventually, suck it up.

15. Releck97 macrumors member

As for stock, consider this:
    During pre-order, the only phone that resembled the one I wanted was a gold 6, 64. I ordered it and will pick it up later today from UPS. In the meantime, I got a reservation this morning from my local Apple store for a space gray 6, 64 (Yes, it required a wait in a manageable line). After work, I will take the gold one to my Apple store and exchange it for the gray one. Thus, a gold 64 gb phone will become available for sale at the Apple store.

My point is this: Although they will be limited, phones will become available at your local Apple stores throughout the day as people do exchanges for a number of reasons. If you have the time and tenacity, you may still score a phone today.

16. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

That too! I didn't want to hurt the OPs feelings by saying that haha. :p

17. RedRider0151 macrumors member

Sorry...but I agree with the guy....if they knew they didnt have any in stock they should have told you when you asked...its just bad business to string you along and then expect you to come back to that store for anything else.

I live across the street from a VZ store...they literally had 10 6+'s and told everyone in line the minute they checked their inventory...if they would have done anything different I would have never shopped at that store again as I just dont have the time to waist (I ordered mine online since I cant just hang out at the Apple store all night...) Maybe it was becasue it was me that asked, as I am a VERY good customer with 4 teenage daughters and am in there literally ALL the time...then I wandered over to Sams club at 10 am and they had at least 50 6+'s...they had every color in stock but I didnt bother asking about the carrier and I also believe they were only 16gb but it was cool to be able to see it and handle it in person. THe gold actually didnt look as bad as I thought it did in pictures but I am still glad I got a silver one...ohh and only 2 people there getting phones

18. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

Just be diligent in calling around to different apple and wireless stores over the next week or so. You are more than likely going to find one at some point.

19. setho212 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the backup.

Those of us waiting in line for 4 hours were very patient and well behaved. We did not act like jerks to the employees and when we found out that no +'s were available we politely informed them that we were not interested in purchasing the 6. We did not make a big scene.

I am sure the manager was well aware of the inventory at least an hour before the store opened if not the night before. A simple quiet word to the side would have been the nice thing to do and would have definitely been a way to win over customers. Letting people stand in line for 2 more hours knowing they had been there for 2 hours already is just a dick move.

20. indychris macrumors 6502

indychris

Well, if he told the Verizon folks to go screw themselves simply because they offered to order him a phone, then I think he's got the annoying part down to a science. [​IMG]

21. setho212 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hyperbole, look it up.

22. indychris macrumors 6502

indychris

Sarcasm, look it up. [​IMG]