Apple Store - Iphone 3g Diagnostic Test? Options?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Dan1445, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Dan1445 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I have had my Iphone 3g for just over 2 years now. When I purchased the 3G, the 3GS had just been released, and the differences between the two were insignificant at the time. I'm available to upgrade (3GS or Iphone4) with a new 2 year contract, but I want to wait for the Iphone5. The problem is that my 3G is almost unusable, and I don't think I can last 5-6 months until Iphone5 comes out.

I know the forums are loaded with posts about how slow the 3G is with the IOS4, but I feel like I have tried everything. I switched back to an older IOS, but it started dropping calls and crashing all the time. I've purchased "Free ram memory" apps that are supposed to clear RAM, but that is just a momentary fix.

I brought my phone into the At&T store, and they basically told me to get lost. I have an appointment with the apple store today to run a diagnostic test. The apple rep said that after the test we would discuss my options. Does anyone have any idea what those options typically are? My ideal situation would be for them to give me a refurbished 3GS for a few months until the Iphone5 comes out. I wouldn't mind paying a discounted price for the 3GS either. I really don't want to buy an Iphone4 now, and then have it become slow and outdated a year down the road. Thanks in advance.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

iPhones DO NOT become "slow and updated a year down the road." Backup your device by syncing. Restore to firmware and do not resync your device. Then test.

3GS is faster than 3G. You should have bought the 3GS.

It's not "5-6 months until Iphone5 comes out." Ever heard of iPhone June release? That's about 3 months.

3. Dan1445 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks consultant, you were a big help, but you failed to answer the only question in my post/title. If I wanted your opinion on what I should have done 2 years ago, I would have asked.