Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
A new Mac Pro won't detract from the launch of the new iPad mate. As products, they are polar opposites.

I understand that. But as others have mentioned, the iPad will take up a lot of resources; getting the launch 100% spot on is paramount. Managers don't need any distractions right now.

salmoally

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2012
Reeks of desperation in this thread.

In other news HP have announced their machines, whilst not available till April they have at least the common courtesy of keeping their professional users up to date and also provide free 3 year onsite service unlike Apple where you have to wait in line behind kids with their broken itoys.

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008

In other news HP have announced their machines, whilst not available till April they have at least the common courtesy of keeping their professional users up to date and also provide free 3 year onsite service unlike Apple where you have to wait in line behind kids with their broken itoys.

Well if HP are saying not available till April, then unlikely that Apple will have a new Mac Pro about before then. Maybe no more speculation threads about when it is coming till April now.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
If there wasn't going to be they would have said so by now...

They canned the Macbook without saying anything, they trashed FCP8 when supposedly it was ready to go out the door without saying anything, and they removed Rosetta and yep you guessed it, didn't say anything.

Apple has a tendency to not tell it's "niche users" or anyone for that matter when they're going to remove things.

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007

AppleCare offers on-site service for iMacs and MacPro's.

salmoally

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2012
I kind of hope Apple drops the Macpro just so the poor sods on this forum can move on with their lives and switch to windows/linux based workstations and finally be free.

iAmRod

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2006
Rockin the Refurb

I decided not to tarry too long on whether or not Apple with be releasing an updated model. I decided to buy a 2010 Quad refurb. Perfect for my needs and Apple topped it off with a very pleasant surprise by including twice the amount of originally specified RAM. So... saved over $300, got twice the amount of RAM, and a full year warranty to boot. WINNING!

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I didn't spot that but still it's not free or next day.

Correct on the "not free" part (you have to pay extra for 3 years) and yes, they don't guarantee next day service.

However, I've been able to get an AASP tech to my door SAME day on a couple of occasions for a flaky 2009 Mac Pro at my old office. So, they are pretty prompt. I wouldn't expect a tech from an actual Apple Store to do this (they won't), but it's been my experience that there's plenty of 3rd-party certified shops that can fill that void.

trajan2448

macrumors member
May 3, 2010
I kind of hope Apple drops the Macpro just so the poor sods on this forum can move on with their lives and switch to windows/linux based workstations and finally be free.

That would be a disaster for many in music and film industry who have expensive systems. No one wants to use Pro Tools on Windows in the pro ranks. Why? because it stinks!

StarseedAudio

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
Waiting for a year now. Last 6 months checking here every day. Somethings gotta happen soon, seriously. Getting emotionally unstable :rolleyes:

elvisizer

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2003
San Jose
Correct on the "not free" part (you have to pay extra for 3 years) and yes, they don't guarantee next day service.

However, I've been able to get an AASP tech to my door SAME day on a couple of occasions for a flaky 2009 Mac Pro at my old office. So, they are pretty prompt. I wouldn't expect a tech from an actual Apple Store to do this (they won't), but it's been my experience that there's plenty of 3rd-party certified shops that can fill that void.

my solution was to get my ACMT, get a job at an AASP, and then do my own repairs! :p

ElderBrE

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2004
They canned the Macbook without saying anything, they trashed FCP8 when supposedly it was ready to go out the door without saying anything, and they removed Rosetta and yep you guessed it, didn't say anything.

Apple has a tendency to not tell it's "niche users" or anyone for that matter when they're going to remove things.

Yes, however, it can be argued more or less than in those cases, there was a replacement existing or coming (wether it was good or not, is something different). In the case of the Xserve, they did say it was getting canned for example, and I think the situation with the Mac Pro is closer to that than to the Macbook.

I think it's reasonable to expect them to upgrade the line in April, so far there's only HP who said anything about using the new procs, and even them said they were not shipping until April. Considering Apple is a lot more secretive than many other companies that will be using these Intel procs and HP is the only one that has said anything out of them all, we're not in such a deep hole.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.