Apple Store is rediculous

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dvrmstrng, Jul 24, 2010.

1. dvrmstrng macrumors 6502

So i call all around, no iphones to be had, get yourself on the list, im told.

Call the apple store that is 30 minutes from me. They say put your name on a list (this was yesterday) and it will most likely be around 3 weeks wait.

Just so happens my mom and dad are headed to the movie theater/returning something at the mall where apple is. I ask them on a whim to stop in and see if someone would sell them an iphone. Sure enough i got the call from my dad asking if I would like him to grab either the (1) 16GB they have in stock or (tons) of 32GB they have in stock. So he is grabbing me the 32 (figured why not go bigger).

Seems to be a disconnect from the people answering the phones to the sales people on the floor.

Oh well, IP4 here i come.

2. sleyeu macrumors 6502

Coo... Coo... Coo... Coliflower bro.

3. dvrmstrng thread starter macrumors 6502

Not sure what that means, but I figured it would be good news for anyone who has been told to put their name on a priority list and not to come walk in. If your not too far from an Apple Store, id say its worth a shot.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

5. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Maybe the store just got the shipment in for people who just walk in to the store. I think u need to realize that not every single one of the reps can be always accurate about inventory. I would not call this ridiculous. If you order online, then there is up to 3 weeks wait. Btw, care to explain to me what the word rediculous means to me on your thread?

6. dvrmstrng thread starter macrumors 6502

Excitement typo.

I agree its not ridiculous, but to call and be told 3 week wait, and within the same 24 hour period walking into the same store and purchasing, there seems to be a little disconnect. Shouldn't the phone's being sold to walk-ins be going to those who called and put their names on the list? Not that i'm mad :cool:

7. sleyeu macrumors 6502

Srry I tried being a subtle troll but it failed. I put myself on the priority list a few days after the announcement and I got an email 2 days before my predicted delivery date from my online preorder. Delivery by 14th July. But I got it delivered 4 days early!!!!!!

8. Built macrumors 68020

9. hcho3 macrumors 68030

The customer ask people to hold the iphone4 and reps are not allowed to do that. The store gets shipment probably everyday. Rep could have told u that u can call everyday to check, but how can they be so sure all the times?

10. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

I loled.

Anyways, I wouldn't say that there's a disconnect. Every shipment that Apple gets in is not just going to sit in the back vacant for a "list." They are still going to sell them on them floor. My advice to everyone is to call the Apple stores and ask what days they get shipments of iPhones in. They are probably going to say that they don't know know, but it's worth a shot because at least one person knows. And don't just call. You need to actually go to the store.

On launch day, they ran out of 32GB iPhone 4's when I was about 10 yards away from the door. I talked to someone who said they could get me on a priority list for a 32GB unless I felt like settling for a 16GB that day (which they had plenty of). I declined and asked a few more people. After talking to several Apple employees, one individual told me that I could try to come back first thing the next day because those who pre-ordered an iPhone and didn't pick it up that day would forfeit their pre-order and would be given up the next day. I asked him if I could come back before closing time to see how many they'd have for the next day to see if they had 32GB's left at all and he said yes. I tried to call about 30 minutes before hoping they could just tell me over the phone instead of having to waste my time driving and some chick told me that she didn't know anything about it and couldn't tell me anything further. So I came to the Apple store 10 minutes before they closed and asked a different person than I had talked to previously from that day how many 32GB they would have for the next day and he told me that they had several, but didn't know exactly how many. He then told me not to waste my time coming in tomorrow since I was already there and decided to go ahead and sell it to me that night.

So moral of the story is that good things happen if you actually go to the Apple store.

11. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

It's not so much about the person you spoke to on the phone. What it _is_ about is the highly evasive, manipulative Apple culture. Being in a position to operate without consequences, Apple will take any action they desire to maximize their profits. Knowing the public will tolerate nearly anything to own a "cool" Apple product, the company specializes in exploitation. Your experience is proof positive that they only want your money.*

12. dvrmstrng thread starter macrumors 6502

you never know when you might catch someone in a good mood who just happens to find that "one last 32GB" you were looking for.

13. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

Exactly. And retail employees are infamous about giving you the runaround. When I stood in line on launch day, I think I talked to about 8 different Apple employees to see if they had more 32GB iPhone 4's left or when they would have them next time until I found the person who actually told me about the pre-order situation.

14. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

You are correct. The policy is to encourage the customer to come into the store. Retail statistics reveal that the chance of making a sale are much higher once the customer is in the store.*
    It's easy. Apple is extremely organized and efficient when it comes to generating retail sales. The store manager knows in advance, the contents of all incoming shipments. Each employee is briefed at the beginning of their shift. In addition they now carry small portable wireless devices that provide them with instant readouts of price and stock level of every item they offer. These are for the sole purpose of allowing the sales person to stay with the customer, until the sale is closed. No more "going in the back to check".*

Apple spends more time & money training store personnel than nearly any other retail chain. In turn they demand results from said employees.*

15. dvrmstrng thread starter macrumors 6502

now the question is....what to do with my IP4!

16. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

sell
    profit?

or

activate
    enjoy?

17. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

a.) Enjoy it

b.) Whine about it.

:)

18. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

So you are complaining because you got an iPhone earlier than you expected. Who cares what some employee told you. Your parents were already going to the mall where the Apple store is located anyway, so basically no harm no foul. At least you lucked out and got one. There are still many people who have been on priority lists for weeks and they are still waiting.

19. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Spelling ridiculous the way you did is what is "rediculous".

20. dvrmstrng thread starter macrumors 6502

Wasnt really complaining, just letting people know you can go out and get one, despite what you may be told on the phone...oh im keeping it...its naked until my accessories arrive though, i'm nervous.

21. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I don't know about you, but my Apple Store is bluediculous.

22. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

If you believe what's posted on the forums you obviously cannot use it to make phone calls so I'd say just walk around the malls holding it up to look uber-cool.

23. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Cool
    [​IMG]

24. SmackP macrumors member