Apple Store is telling me my MacBook Pro problems might not be covered by warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SethRogen, Jun 16, 2013.

1. SethRogen, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013

SethRogen macrumors 6502

Ok, my Macbook Pro this morning for some reason would get past the start up screen this morning. I lost my cleaner, so since about April my Macbook Pro has been EXTREMELY dirty. It's been working 100% fine though. No pr oblems at all. Never got actual liquid on it. Just dirt from food on my hands dries up all over it. Gross, but caused no problems on keyboard or anything.

So this morning because it wouldn't start up after working perfectly fine last night, so I gave my dad the Macbook Pro to take into the genius bar while i was doing something at home. They didn't know what the problem is... and saying once repaired I might lose everything. They are now trying to say because of the condition of it (it being super dirty) that the extended warranty might not cover it.... Despite that not being the cause of the problem. So I should have cleaned it off before giving it to my dad... but my mistake.

They said over a 50% chance it won't be covered by warranty. So they are basically saying now it's going to cost $1200 to fix it when they send my non-backuped macbook pro for repair.... after they get a look at it & maybe replace hard drive.

What do I do? The dirty condition of my laptop is not the problem! and they are basically stealing money from me.

and on top of all that... I'm going to lose everything on it.

2. Bear macrumors G3

Dirt can get inside the system through the keyboard. So it may really have been your fault.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Dirt (and food) is pretty much non-conductive, so even if crumbs did manage to make its way into the computer, the only thing it should effect is the fan (as it's mechanical) and the computer will turn off before it overheats, so at most it should be a $7 fan.

The problem the OP has is that if Apple can determine that any portion of the mac is not covered due to how the computer was treated, that invalidates the entire warranty, and the OP will have to pay $1200 to have the entire machine fixed outside of warranty. And Apple comes out $1193 ahead at OP's expense.

My suggestion is to clean the mac completely so externally, it looks brand new. Then take it back in.

4. SethRogen, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013

SethRogen thread starter macrumors 6502

This is dried dirt. Nothing last night got on it........ It's really old.

They are trying to claim it's water damaged maybe... but seriously. No liquid spilled on the laptop. My keyboard worked/works fine.

I shut off my Macbook Pro last night... and it just wouldn't turn back on this morning.

The only thing in the past was like in August of last year I got water on it, but they fixed my keyboard for me after that.... when I PAYED AND took it in.

So none of the new problems is caused from water damaged. it worked completely fine.

No new food or liquid spilled on it last night...

----------

I think I'm going in to take it back in and clean it... then give it back?

5. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Bingo! You should have had that in your OP, because that's a vital piece of information to your story. Because you didn't, it gives me the impression that you're "stacking the deck," so to speak, to garner sympathy for your issue, and attempt to get some suggestions on how you can get the damage fixed for free. Not saying that actually is what you're trying to do here ... it's just the perception that I've been given as a result of how you've gone about relaying the information on your system here.

How much was paid that time? My guess is that there is a record of that repair in their system, which states water damage was the cause, and which is probably the reason why they're saying the current issue has a 50% chance of not being covered by warranty. This is because the current issue stands a chance of being caused by the previous water damage.

If they put the repairs in as warranty service, then consider yourself lucky, and a lesson well learned/earned. If they charge you for it, consider it a very expensive lesson learned.

The moral of this story? Don't eat or drink near your laptop.

6. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Back it up, too, while you're at it. Nobody should be left without a current backup, unless they simply don't care about the data on their computer. It's not a matter of if you lose your data but when.