Apple Store Job working hours

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mjmaccy, Jul 7, 2011.

1. mjmaccy macrumors newbie

I've got through to interviews at an Apple Store in the UK. I'm still at school so I can't do too many hours but I don't want this to put them off. How many hours do you think I can reasonably offer, 10 would probably be getting on for maximum for me. :confused:

Also, I don't want to start work until september, will they accept this?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't see any reason they would hire you. 10 hours a week that doesn't want to start until September just sounds like lack of motivation to me.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

They will Want you to start and work through the holidays so your trained for the next big launch (ip5)

10 hours? Are you serious?? Do you wan this job?

4. mjmaccy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies guys, ofc, I want the job, jus also want to get some decent A levels. I'd have thought 10 hours would be fine though, part time??? It's a quarter of full time (38 hours). But what do you thinK?

5. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Part time in retail (here at least) is usually 20-25 hours.

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Is the position they are offering full time or part time.
    There lies your answer.

If you are offering them part time hours for their full time position then… ;)

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You should be expecting 4 hours 5 times a week because that is something they might expect you to do. Part time is 20-40 hours depending on the needs of the business.

8. mjmaccy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, there's an option to apply for part time. So if I check that and write 10 hours a week, might I be alright? The reason I can't work until september is because I'm doing another job over the summer.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

Remember that October-January and during special events (like Back to School, or a major product launch), they really bump up the hours of part-time employees. During those times, part-time folks could easily see a weekly schedule of 25 hours minimum (at my store).

10. mjmaccy thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, I've just realised... When I say 10 hours I mean 10 hours per week. Sorry if that caused confusion.

And @aristobrat do you have any advice for the interview

Cheers

11. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

That's what we thought you meant. 10 is very little time, even for part time.

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Part time is usually 20 hours or more per week

13. mjmaccy thread starter macrumors newbie

I have friends who work in hollister and such places who do only two shifts of 5-8 hours each week. Is this not usual?

14. johneaston macrumors regular

Do you really want to work in a shop? I say don't bother. Aim higher and start a proper career.

15. aristobrat macrumors G4

My interview was the old-fashioned "sit down with a manager" way, which most stores don't seem to do any more.

The new way seems to be a group event, where multiple applicants are brought in at the same time to interact (in a social setting) with the managers and some of the employees. There are posts about this in the bigger "interviewing at apple" threads if you want some first-hand experiences.

The biggest thing I would recommend, if you get a chance, is to visit the store a few times before the interview. Even if you're interviewing for a Back of House position, watch how the employees interact with customers, especially how the initially approach them. I think the group interview is somewhat a simulation of that, where managers can see how well the applicants interact with others in a situation where they don't know anyone (which is pretty much the same dynamic as an employee interacting with a customer they haven't met before). Is the applicant confident enough to walk up to others at the event and start a friendly conversation/say hello, or are they more reserved, waiting for others to approach them? That kind of thing. If you do anything creative with Macs (music, photos, video), have your thoughts together on that -- they'll probably ask. IMO, it's mostly about how well you'll fit into the team vs. any in-depth technical knowledge. The more you can scout in advance to figure out the "personality" of that store, the more confident you're likely to feel (and the better you'll likely do).

Break a leg. :)

16. Hummer, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011

Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

Hollister & Co. stores, along with all brands under Abercrombie are run totally different from the Apple Store, and most other retail brands. The hours you mention your friends working are typical of Abercrombie & Fitch run stores.

17. mjmaccy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your help guys! Really useful.

18. mjmaccy thread starter macrumors newbie

So if anyone's interested, I did the interview and inquired about working hours. They said, as long as I was right for apple, they would employ me however many hours I could do.

They are so cool!