Apple Store Macbook crash

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EngBrian, May 19, 2007.

1. EngBrian macrumors regular

So there I was at an apple store playing around with a Macbook doing the try before you buy thing and I managed to crash it. Luckily this experience won't deter me from buying one next month but I still found it hilarious after all my mac friends told me they were practically invincible. I realize they still do crash but the odds of me doing it on the first time using one was funny.

Basically I had three iApps open and was screwing around with iWeb and got a beachball that wouldn't go away. So i force quit...reopen and all is well. Then I click on photobooth to see what that is about and it just bounces away doing nothing. Try safari...same thing.

So I went to the menubar up top and everything thing I click on :)apple: , file, etc...) turns a plaid green. So i turn to a sales guy and say "So I think I messed up your macbook". He gets a "Oh crap" look on his face and walks over to see what I did probably thinking I physically damaged it. But when he sees it he said "Wow I am impressed I have never seen this happen before. I don't think you could do that again if you tried." I was tempted to try again :) but didn't . A quick restart later and I was playing around again loving the system.

As I said, still getting a Macbook but definitely not a great first impression. Of course I realize that in the months that the comp has been on display 1000's of people have done god knows what to it but...

2. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I've never seen a crashed Mac in the Apple Store. I have seen a few hangups, like the beachball you mentioned, but nothing too serious. It's good to know you're still convinced to join the light side, however. :)

3. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

Actually, it sounds like a crash of the SystemUIServer background process -- there was a bug in the 10.4.8 fast user switching code that could lead to a corruption of the com.apple.systemuiserver.plist file, which would cause the exact symptoms you described, until restart.

4. EngBrian thread starter macrumors regular

Ya I understand what these machines have been through so ya no worries on swaying me back to a PC. Especially since this past weekend I had to format and reinstall windows for the 5th time.

Wouldn't the store have 10.4.9 installed? Or did .9 not fix the problem?