Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MGTR420

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Hey guys, my new retina display's hinge was making a cracking noise, so the apple store swapped it out for a new one. Problem now is I am not able to activate Microsoft Office for Mac because it has exceeded uses. The Apple store didn't wipe my Mac before I left and now I cannot activate it because of that. Microsoft help is not helping, and the Apple store says it should have been wiped by now...I have tried calling Apple but they cannot help. Any ideas? :(

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
Hey guys, my new retina display's hinge was making a cracking noise, so the apple store swapped it out for a new one. Problem now is I am not able to activate Microsoft Office for Mac because it has exceeded uses. The Apple store didn't wipe my Mac before I left and now I cannot activate it because of that. Microsoft help is not helping, and the Apple store says it should have been wiped by now...I have tried calling Apple but they cannot help. Any ideas? :(

Doesn't matter whether you wipe it or not. Microsoft doesn't 'deactivate' software unless you're using an Office 365 subscription, and they don't keep track of whether a computer using a given license is still in use.

Your best bet is to follow the prompt for telephone activation. Tell the automated system (truthfully) that you are only using that license on one computer and they will let you use it. I very rarely am transferred to a human being during reactivation under such circumstances, but when I am they're generally still helpful. (I change computers twice a year or more- I go through this quite a bit!)

Also, if you bought it recently, you might be eligible for the upgrade offer:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/offer/

One of the redemption options is to convert your license to an Office 365 subscription. Alternatively they will give you a copy of Office 2014 when it comes out.

Good luck!

MGTR420

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Doesn't matter whether you wipe it or not. Microsoft doesn't 'deactivate' software unless you're using an Office 365 subscription, and they don't keep track of whether a computer using a given license is still in use.

Your best bet is to follow the prompt for telephone activation. Tell the automated system (truthfully) that you are only using that license on one computer and they will let you use it. I very rarely am transferred to a human being during reactivation under such circumstances, but when I am they're generally still helpful. (I change computers twice a year or more- I go through this quite a bit!)

Also, if you bought it recently, you might be eligible for the upgrade offer:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/offer/

One of the redemption options is to convert your license to an Office 365 subscription. Alternatively they will give you a copy of Office 2014 when it comes out.

Good luck!

Thank you! finally was transferred to a human and she was able to activate it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.