Apple Store Marks Up the Belkin Headset Splitter

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Resist, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

So the girlfriend had to make a run down to our local Apple store and I asked her to pick up a headset splitter. We're taking a trip and would like to split our headsets to watch some movies on my iPad. So she comes back with the Belkin Headset Splitter. It's a solid piece about 3.5 inches in length, clearly not what we need sticking out of the side of my iPad. I also noticed the price tag which showed $19.95, yet I noticed other places online sell it for $11-$13. Talk about the Apple store markup!

Think I'll be making a run to Radio Shack for something less expensive and more flexible for my needs. Then on to the Apple Store to return this Belkin.

I still can't get over Apple charging $20 for this splitter and worse yet, that the girlfriend bought it from them.

2. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

You can probably get it on eBay for $2 to $3 shipped. I got my fm transmitter for around $8 and a car charger for like $5. Generic sure, but they work well. Accessories in any retail store are a rip off.

3. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Just checked the Radio Shack site and they have exactly what I need for $3, one male plug on a cable connected to two female plugs.

4. b00mer macrumors newbie

5. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

I, for one, am shocked, yes, shocked that an Apple store would gouge customers for simple accessories. On the other hand, the amazingly wonderful nearly erotic experience of shopping at the Apple Store must be considered. An environment straight out of Woody Allen's "Sleeper" has to be paid for somehow. Add to that the fact that "geniuses" don't come cheap and it's easy to see why a $3 item from a "shack" would be $20 in heaven. :D

6. Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

Although I love Apple products, I avoid Apple accessories. The stuff is way too expensive, and it is made in China along with all the other stuff available on Ebay or Amazon for much less.

7. preppy macrumors member

preppy

Agreed. My wife and I do the same unless we're in a huge rush/pinch...but even then, we go to walmart or target first.

I do find it weird that apple is selling the splitter for $20, when the belkin site has it for $15 msrp.....:eek:

8. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Of course. A rational consumer does exactly that. But the pricing model for such generic accessories in the Apple Store resembles that of accessories at auto dealerships. If you're already dropping $2K+ on a shiny new Mac or close to $1K on an iPad, tossing in a $20 accessory is tempting, much like adding that $1200 GPS to your $30,000 auto purchase.

Studies of consumer behavior have long indicated that price resistance is lowest when one is already committed to a much larger purchase. Consumers tend to compare the price of accessory X to the product they're purchasing rather than choosing between two sources for the same accessory.

9. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

Are you sure the splitter you saw was a simple headphone splitter ?
    Some apps like djay can output a song preview and need a dedicated splitter.

10. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

yeah, cheapest i found was $2.49, just get it at radioshack.

you know not all apple products are a bargain. I remember when the macbook was still around :rolleyes: the pro only looked differently had 2GB more RAM (2GB vs. 4GB) and had the backlight keyboards, but cost like $200 difference. [13in pro vs. 13in macbook]

It really isn't all that of an improvement, but people see one is $999 and the other is $1,199 all of a sudden it doesn't feel so bad to splurge a little since it seems insignificant. people thought since one was pro it had more power or something.

The current macbook air is said to perform the same as the previous in all but processing. GPU, battery life, and weight. All you get is backlite keyboard, thunderbolt, and better processor. While the previous gen is up on the referb store. but once the new airs get to the referbished store, we will see the previous drop more to a great price.

If anything the next air will be a good upgrade, ivy bridge = more battery life and more processing power and more GPU power. If apple also uses that new Samsung RAM that is 2/3 more efficient and faster damn that will be one sexy machine! Sorry if i got carried away :rolleyes: