Apple Store MBP Refurbs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stylar, Apr 28, 2010.

1. stylar macrumors member

I noticed today the Apple added some (now) older MBP models to its refurb section. Initially, I was thinking of buying on Craigslist/eBay, but the refurb prices are close enough that I'm going to buy through the store.

I'm choosing between three versions, and need help deciding. (They're all 15.4 inches):
    - 2.53ghz for $1350: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC118LL/A?mco=MTA4MzI1OTk
    - 2.4ghz for $1299: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB470LL/A?mco=MTA4MzI1NTA
    - 2.66ghz for $1530: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB985LL/A?mco=MTA4MzI2Nzk

I'm pretty sure I'll pay the extra $50 to get the 2.53ghz model (unless you say it's not worth it). But what do you think between the 2.53 and 2.66ghz models?

And, to make sure, these are good deals right?

2. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

The 2.4GHz has 2GB RAM, the 2.53GHz has 4GB. For 50 bucks, go for the 2.53!

You won't notice that much difference between the 2.53GHz and 2.66GHz in terms of CPU performance. However, the 2.66GHz does have the discrete 9600M GT graphics card. It depends on what you'll be doing with it if it's worth the extra 200 dollars.

3. PAC88 macrumors 6502

get the 2.4ghz model if you want express card and dedicated gpu + 9400m.. that's the one I'd prefer. You can add the extra 2gb of ram yourself.. the other models are not as good or worth the price in my opinion.. 2.4ghz - 2.6ghz is about the same.

edit: elpmas below me made a good point about 2.5 and 2.6ghz models supporting 8gb of ram.. but are you actually going to need or add that much? 4gb is plenty for me, so I'd still choose the 2.4ghz model without hesitation (which I actually believe can support 6gb but I'm not positive)

4. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I'd do the 2.53Ghz. The 2.4Ghz only supports up to 4gb of ram whilst the 2.53Ghz supports up to 8...0(x_x)0

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The 2.53GHz and 2.66GHz models are the Mid-2009 revisions. The former sports only integrated graphics while the latter sports both integrated and dedicated graphics.

As with the 2.4GHz model, it is the Late-2008 model; it sports a dedicated video card and an ExpressCard 34 slot if you need that. And the battery is removable. This model can support up to 6GB of RAM in a 4GB+2GB configuration. The chipset support hybrid dual channel which means the 2GB and half of the 4GB will have dual channel and the last 2GB will be single channel.

6. stylar thread starter macrumors member

I probably don't need it so I don't know what it is. But, what is the express card used for? (Why might I need it?)

Is the removable battery a big plus? Does it make it easier to fix when broken?

Also, does the 2008 model battery last the same or longer than than 2009s?

I'd use it for content consumption, programming, and some graphic design (photoshop stuff). I would NOT use it for any gaming, and not so much video watching. So, do you think I need the 2.66ghz one?

7. WisdomWolf macrumors regular

If prices are considerable I'd still recommend eBay. You can get Bing cashback to the tune of 8%, which makes quite a difference when talking about a $1500+ purchase. I just bought my new 2010 13" MBP on eBay for that very reason. $1079 for a Brand New MBP after rebates. No Tax. No Shipping. That means a Brand New 15" Base would be under $1450. ;)

8. stylar thread starter macrumors member

I guess you're right. I will buy it on eBay.

1) What should I do for discounts? I was thinking: Bing Cashback, Ebates, and Ebay Bucks. Am I missing anything?

2) I'm having trouble using Bing cashback to get 8% on eBay. (I search bing.com for Macbook Pro ebay, and variations, and I don't see any of the cash back ebay links.) Can you walk me through how to get the Bing Cash Back?

9. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

JMO, but get it from Apple. Going ebay adds a lot of risk to the whole deal.

The sweet spot is the mid 09 models. They have an updated logic board which fixed a lot of problems and also added 8GB functionality. Express card is much more "valuable" than the later SD card slots. JMO ~~~~

cheers
    JohnG

10. slapple macrumors 6502

What kind of physical condition are Apple refurbs in?

Could there be scratches or other damage on the screen or body of the MBP? What about stuck/dead pixels?

11. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

They're usually just as new, no worry about cosmetics and they have the warranty as a brand new machine, all in all they're an excellent buy.

IMHO buying a new Mac off E-Bay is fool hardy spend a few extra bucks and get a refurb and get the peace of mind.

12. stylar thread starter macrumors member

Wait. That seems to contradict.

The mid09 models I posted are without the express card, right? And it's the late08 model that doesn't have 8GB that does have an express card, right?

What is an express card, by the way?

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Expresscard is a type of expansion slot meant for laptop computers. You can buy a bunch of modules for it that expand your laptop's capability, like additional USB ports, additional Firewire ports (or both USB/Firewire), eSATA, 3G wireless data cards, a whole bunch of things (here's a good listing of currently-available expresscards).

The possibilities for expansion are nice, but the problem is, fewer and fewer laptops are supporting it now, opting instead to have the standard USB ports (and firewire on the high end). This is because the anecdotal evidence seems to point to very few people actually using the expresscard slot. I have to admit, my last MBP had it, but I never once plugged anything into it although I kept telling myself I would, someday. So, I didn't really miss it when it went away on my new 2010 MBP.

Part of the problem is that nearly every expresscard out there has some module that juts out quite a ways from the side of the laptop, so it's not something you can just keep plugged in all the time without risking some kind of damage during travel.

Obviously yes, a removable battery is easy to replace when it breaks because you just pop it right out and slide in a new one. Whereas the "sealed" battery is not considered user replaceable by Apple, even though the only thing standing in the way is the outer casing, and some tri-wing screws that require a screwdriver that's a little harder to obtain than the ones you might already have laying around the house.

On the other hand, Apple really touts the long life of these batteries. On the removeable batteries, I was lucky to get 3 hours of battery life on my 2007 MBP, and things started to go downhill with battery life between 300 and 500 charge cycles, where now Apple claims you're supposed to be good to go for 8 hours on the current batteries, and still supposed to be mostly good even after 1,000 charge cycles.

Depends on how much photoshop you're doing. If it's a lot and you can easily, afford the 2.66, it might be worth the extra kick especially if you intend to keep it for a few years.

Then again, I should point out that I did a lot of Photoshopping with a 2.33GHz C2D MBP and it served me fine for 3 years.

Apple is well known for being VERY meticulous about their refurbs. You might even argue that they get more attention to quality control than the brand new models rolling out of the factory. In most cases, you wouldn't be able to tell the laptop was a refurb without being told. And this is probably because Apple knows most people would reject their refurbs if there were obvious physical blemishes, even if the refurbs cost less.

I don't know for sure about dead pixels, but seeing as some of those laptops probably got returned because of dead pixels, I would bet Apple makes sure the refurbs don't have any.

14. WisdomWolf macrumors regular

I fail to see this logic. It makes more sense to buy a refurbished computer then to save money and buy a brand new one? Huh? In my case I purchased through ebay, but the computer was actually shipped directly from MacMall. Buying used on eBay is a whole different story, obviously.

This all may be moot though. I just went to bing cashback to take a look at the list of stores and eBay is no longer listed. :(

15. darkjedi macrumors newbie

I bought an apple certified and sealed refurb 2009 MBP 13" on ebay for ~770$ after various cashbacks. You can easily find great deals thanks to bing and other cashbacks.

16. stylar thread starter macrumors member

Bump this.

17. stylar thread starter macrumors member

Last time. I'm still not seeing a link for 8% cashback on the 15.4inch MBP's.

18. WisdomWolf macrumors regular

It looks like bing no longer offers cashback on ebay. It was in their list of supported stores up until a few days ago. I was getting ready to give you some instructions on how to get to it really easy and have it work everytime when I discovered that. All I know is that it was there last week (when I purchased my mbp). I have no idea if this is temporary or what, but it sucks.

See for yourself. Go here and scroll through the stores. I used to just go to ebay and click go to store and then find what I wanted.

19. joecool99 Suspended

joecool99

ebay bing cashback dead

it sucks. ebay customer service claims it's on Microsoft decision.

i was using it a lot myself. please report if you find it back online or find a keyword that brings it back.