APPLE STORE NOT SELLING iPHONE! (Sherway Gardens, Ontario)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drakeshipway, Jul 8, 2008.

1. drakeshipway macrumors 6502

drakeshipway

I have just received an e-mail from Sherway Gardens, in Toronto. I had asked about sales of the iPhone, and this is the reply I got back:

Hi Drake:

Here is the latest information we have about the sale of the iPhone at Sherway. If you need further info please contact the stores directly.
    Go to www.sherwaygardens.ca and look on the STORES page for phone numbers and store locations within Sherway.

Apple
    Will not be selling this item

Rogers
    Will be receiving 70 units of the 3 different models (210 phones) on Thursday night.

Telephone Booth
    Will be receiving 80 units (40 FIDO, 40 Rogers).

FIDO
    Will be receiving 70 units.

The Source
    Only have the small booth at the front of their store and have no idea how many or if they will be receiving any iPhones.

2. 03sho macrumors 6502a

I already kinda new apple weren't selling them.

3. Zubin macrumors member

4. mrowl macrumors regular

from appleinsider

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...es_canadian_apple_stores_without_iphones.html

Spat with Rogers leaves Canadian Apple stores without iPhones

By Kasper Jade
    Published: 10:00 AM EST

Apple, disgusted with Rogers Wireless for dumping egregious service plans on would-be iPhone 3G buyers, has decided that its Canadian retail stores will have no part in helping the carrier market the new handset to customers, AppleInsider has learned.

As a result, Canadian Apple Retail stores won't be selling the new 3G touchscreen phones come Friday, representatives for the Cupertino-based company said during a private conference call on Monday evening. Instead, it will be up to Rogers and its partner Fido to lock subscribers into steep 3-year contracts that require a minimum monthly payment of $60 for just 150 minutes, 75 text messages, and 400MB of data.

Calls to Canadian Apple retail stores early Tuesday confirmed the move once over. Although the majority of the of stores contacted by AppleInsider said they were still unsure whether they'd be selling the new iPhone, one representative ultimately confirmed that Rogers and its partner stores will be the only place to buy iPhone 3G come Friday. Canadian Apple retail stores will, however, have demo units on hand the same day.

Asked whether the decision not to sell the iPhone was a result of Rogers' poor service offerings, the representative would only say that: "We have nothing to do with the service plans. Those are Rogers' plans."

Word of Apple's abandonment of in-store sales comes just days after the company was reported to have sanctioned Rogers by diverting a significant amount of Canada's iPhone 3G shipments to Europe as initial retribution. As a result, the Canadian carrier will likely receive only about 10 to 20 units per store, and therefore should "exercise caution" not to promise ample stock on launch day, people familiar with the matter have said.

Apple's knee-jerk reaction is believed to have been further stimulated by public outrage on the part of Canadian consumers following the release of the local pricing plans. Always concerned with its image, the iPhone maker has watched nearly 50,000 of its loyal customers sign an anti-Rogers petition at ruinediphone.com, which has in turn sparked hundreds of potentially damaging media reports on the matter by bloggers and members of the mainstream media.

For its part, Rogers in official statements to the media has attempted to justify the cost of its service and data plans by arguing that the "majority" of international iPhone carriers have capped data. As a result, a spokesperson said Rogers believes its plans to be better than those of Orange France, for example, which include a 500MB 'reasonable use' limit versus the 2GB maximum on the top-tier Canadian iPhone plan that fetches $115 per month.

"Unlimited plans could end up costing customers more for what they don't use," the spokesperson said. "Our iPhone plans more than accommodate the vast majority of customers."

5. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

Wow, I never thought I'd see the day where Apple stores didn't sell it's own product.

6. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502a

Wow, that's a first by Apple. It's good though since it lets Rogers know there plans are stupid. Seriously, they think there plans are good for consumers, 150 min. for the low plan? Give me a break, if it was 300 min, 100 SMS, 750MB of Data, Caller ID, Visual Voicemail etc. for $60 then they would have something.

7. drakeshipway thread starter macrumors 6502

drakeshipway

This kind of makes me not want to get the iPhone anymore. If Apple itself is not supporting their own product, then that says something. Apple thinks Rogers plans are crazy, so maybe it's time to stop fooling myself.. Maybe they are.

8. iPaul macrumors regular

Um....they absolutely are.

9. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

+1

I feel so bad for the Canadians.

10. iPaul macrumors regular

I feel like I am getting a good deal from AT&T.....haha!

11. slicecom macrumors 68020

I cant picture myself ever lining up outside a Rogers store unless the lineup was to wait my turn to throw things at it.

12. FCDP macrumors regular

That is just awesome.

It's quite a sign to see Apple not selling it's own product.

13. Zubin macrumors member

This totally sucks. I hope Rogers changes the plans by Friday...

14. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

they wont!

15. Pandora01 macrumors regular

I am delighted to hear this. The more Rogers gets slapped down by Apple, the better. Every report like this makes me more optimistic that the rate packages will be revised within a couple of months, if not a couple of weeks.

In the meantime, I am content to get a voice-only plan. Rogers is not getting a cent more out of me than they do now, which is $45 dollars a month. If I can't negotiate it on my terms, I'll walk away without the phone. I can wait a while longer.

16. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

Wow that must suck for you all did you guys look at the bottom fine print.
    It's a extra 30 bucks for 300mbs and 100 bucks for 6gbs sad :(. So people would pay around 215 dollars a month for close to unlimited internet :(

17. Klaxons2012 macrumors regular

For the first time in my adult life, I'm proud of my country's telecom.

18. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

All I hear is Rogers. Don't you have any other cell phone companies up there? Can't they have the iPhone?

19. Zubin macrumors member

No other carries have GSM networks, therefore Rogers is the only iPhone ready company.

20. mwickens macrumors member

mwickens

The AppleInsider post is just garbage. There was never any announcement that the phone would be sold in Canadian Apple stores. In fact, of the six countries with Apple stores, none of them (as of now, at least) will be carrying the iPhone except for the US.

I dislike Rogers' plans as much as anyone, but the baseless rumors are getting ridiculous.

21. drakeshipway thread starter macrumors 6502

drakeshipway

It is a possibility that Rogers might change their plans. Apple is not selling the iPhone in Canada, and each store is getting from 50-200 phones, most 50. Rogers will realize that without Apple's help it will not take off. So they will realize they must work with Apple, and lower their rates. I mean what kind of company doesn't sell there own product. They are DEFINITLY trying to make Rogers change their minds.

But who knows, I can dream..

22. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

Its great to hear that Apple is standing next to their customers. Apple could have easily let Rogers sell the phones but they made a difficult decision to do the right thing.

23. iPaul macrumors regular

hahahahah!!!

24. tom1971 macrumors 6502a

Rogers ****ed it up - once again !

I bought a first generation iPhone - they will not sell me a ridiculously overpriced 3 year plan...